08-05-2014, 06:34 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Question -

Could someone who knows Rooney's respond to my question below?

The only Rooney I've ever had was a Finest when I first started wet-shaving, and I sold it thinking there might be a better option for me (duh) - so I really do not have anything to compare their other hair grades to.

I have noticed that some vendors have Rooney listed with Super Silvertip, Silvertip, Best, and Pure.

I like 2-band knots for the stiffness, but prefer very soft tips...So I want a brush with backbone and super soft tips...which of the above hairs grades is best for me? (I know the YMMV and all that, but I'd like your suggestions anyway)!

Can anyone do a comparative on the different hair grades based upon their experience?

Thanks everyone!

74 1,523
 08-05-2014, 06:33 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Great question. I'm going to follow this thread...

27 860
 08-05-2014, 08:17 PM
User Info
Sounds like a Rooney stubby heritage 2 band would be right up your alley.

If you find any, let me know. I want one too...

[Image: Stubby%202XL%20Detail.jpg]

12 848
 08-06-2014, 12:10 AM
  • P Funk
  • I can only carry 50 chickens at a time
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
Haven't tried the Pure
The Best I tried was scratchy, not even really comparable to Simpsons Best. It was borderline uncomfortable.
Super is a very nice 3-band with soft tips. If the knot is dense enough and the loft is right, it is fantastic.
Heritage is a great 2-band variety with very good backbone and soft tips with a nice scrub but not the scritch of Finest.

19 591
 08-06-2014, 05:52 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
As mentioned already, the 2 band Heritage is also a different acting animal. For example, when comparing 2 band 2XL to Stubby 2, there is a much different face feel and flow characteristic. Still soft tips and springy backbone, but the density obviously has a huge bearing on the differences. Throw in bulb vs fan and your down another rabbit hole.

143 1,984
 08-06-2014, 06:21 AM
User Info
I am not very experienced using the other Rooney hair grades, but I have had over two dozen Finests, and only one of them has had uncomfortable scritch. Every single one of the others has had very soft hair tips.

207 12,354
 08-06-2014, 01:07 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I've always been able to feel the differences, but it's never made a difference to me.

7 2,359
 08-06-2014, 01:18 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I was surprised to find Rooney brushes at the Shave Shoppe at Stats yesterday and decided that Rooney's (at least the ones he had) were not for me. they seem just too densely packed - I like a brush that actually gives up the lather it has made and for me dense brushes just don't seem to do that very well...

Alas...my search continues!

74 1,523
 08-06-2014, 01:32 PM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
(08-06-2014, 12:10 AM)P Funk Wrote: Haven't tried the Pure
Super is a very nice 3-band with soft tips. If the knot is dense enough and the loft is right, it is fantastic.

Nice to hear that. I traded a brush with a friend that offered me a Rooney Style 1 size 2 super... and i really did not know what to expect from it. Just heard "Rooney" and agreed with him Biggrin

4 447
 08-06-2014, 04:02 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(08-06-2014, 01:18 PM)Crag Wrote: I was surprised to find Rooney brushes at the Shave Shoppe at Stats yesterday and decided that Rooney's (at least the ones he had) were not for me. they seem just too densely packed - I like a brush that actually gives up the lather it has made and for me dense brushes just don't seem to do that very well...

I actually prefer Rooney over Simpson's for that reason, among others. Simpson's are too dense and hold lather... for me. Rooney is my favorite. For aesthetic reasons as well.

7 2,359
 08-07-2014, 08:04 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
(08-06-2014, 01:18 PM)Crag Wrote: I was surprised to find Rooney brushes at the Shave Shoppe at Stats yesterday and decided that Rooney's (at least the ones he had) were not for me. they seem just too densely packed - I like a brush that actually gives up the lather it has made and for me dense brushes just don't seem to do that very well...

Sounds like you need to stay away from the XL line. I recommend you at least give the older single ring Stubby 1-3 line, Alibaba, or the block print Style 1-3 lines. Less density and more flow if that is your thing. I have no reference to any of the newer scroll font Rooneys, so I can't comment there.

143 1,984
 08-08-2014, 05:50 AM
User Info
I have a beehive 2 in super 3 band. Outstanding performance. Dense knot is offset by fan shape. Whips up a storm and let's it go really well

1 167