08-06-2014, 01:08 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I purchased this pen in Chicago last month and have finally had a chance to ink it up and take it through its paces.

First, I flushed the nib and feed to get rid of any residual oils that might have been in the pen. It's a good thing I did because there was a bit of blue ink that flushed out, most likely from the testing of the nib.

I love the style and look of the L-Tech Stealth. The pen is heptagonal (seven sided) in shape so even uncapped it won't roll off a table or desk.

This pen is heavy! While not at all uncomfortable to write with unposted, because of its weight I found it too top-heavy to write with posted. While not a deal breaker for me, I usually do prefer to write with the cap of the pen posted to the barrell. When compared to the TWSBI Diamond 540, one can really begin to appreciate just how weighty the L-Tech is:

Cap On
L-Tech----1.8 oz./50g
TWSBI-----1.0 oz./29g

Cap Off
L-Tech----1.1 oz./32g
TWSBI-------.5 oz./14g

Because of its weight and length (5.75 inches/146.05mm, capped), I would not use this as my everyday carry as I tend to use my shirt pocket for my EDCs. However, in a messenger bag (or handbag, for the ladies reading this) or perhaps a deep pants pocket, this pen wouldn't be a problem to take with you.

The fine nib does, indeed, put down a fine line. I would not want a thicker line than this for a fine. I generally do not care for medium nibs and if I am going to write with a nib that is not extra fine or fine then I usually prefer a stub.

I filled the pen with P.W. Akkerman Garuda Rood ink (Garuda=Asian mythylogical creature; rood=red) and, as can be seen here, did my first sample of writing on Rhodia 80g Dot paper. The nib wrote smoothly for a fine and when I wrote on cheaper paper, the nib was just as smooth but there was obvious feathering. That would have more to do with the paper and ink than the nib. While not shown here, I wrote a small sample letter to someone and found no hard starts or skipping issues. It remains to be seen if these problems show up after the pen has not been used for a little while.

The rubber stylus is nice and sensitive and worked very well with both my iPad and my Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone. Replacement stylus tips are available from Levenger for a small fee.

Lastly, a nice touch. As I mentioned earlier, this is a heptagonal shaped pen. It has a screw cap as opposed to a snap cap. When screwed on after use, the seven sides of the cap and barrel always align for a tight neat look and I appreciate that.

Overall, I am pleased with the writing experience the L-Tech offers.

[Image: Y9TTrn7.jpg]
The Levenger L-Tech Stealth Plus Fountain Pen (Fine Nib) capped

[Image: Mbr9wYz.jpg]
The Levenger L-Tech Stealth Plus Fountain Pen (Fine Nib) posted

2 11,211
 08-06-2014, 01:23 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very nice, Freddy.

It's vaguely reminiscent of the old Rotring 600 FP I used to have.

102 18,647
 08-06-2014, 10:19 PM
User Info
I am glad to see a review of this one. I'm not sure if the weight of this pen would make me happy. All my favored pens are quite a bit lighter than the Stealth. For an everyday use office pen, this one sounds like it would tolorate some less than delicate handling. Thanks for the review, Freddy. As always, your penmanship is fabulous.

1 346
 08-12-2014, 03:48 PM
User Info
Nice review Freddy.

I love the dichotomy of a fountain pen on one end and a conductive stylus on the other. Two technologies separated by more than 100 years.

Phil

7 363
 08-12-2014, 04:13 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(08-12-2014, 03:48 PM)PhilNH5 Wrote: Nice review Freddy.

I love the dichotomy of a fountain pen on one end and a conductive stylus on the other. Two technologies separated by more than 100 years.

Phil

How true! Thumbsup

2 11,211