Poll: Which are your favorites (choose multiple, if you want)?
Aloe
Sandalwood Limes & Pomegranite Cooling Menthol Sea Buckthorn I have never tried EJ creams I don't like EJ creams
 08-06-2014, 10:56 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Anyone have experience with any EJ creams?
Which are your favorite performers and scents?

What do the different scents smell like? real sandalwood scent or carnival sandalwood? what does sea buckthorn smell like? how about the aloe vera?

Also, how does the current formulation of soaps lather up? (sucks we have to ask this stupid question)

57 2,545
 08-07-2014, 10:25 AM
User Info
(08-06-2014, 10:56 PM)Nero Wrote: Anyone have experience with any EJ creams?
Which are your favorite performers and scents?

What do the different scents smell like? real sandalwood scent or carnival sandalwood? what does sea buckthorn smell like? how about the aloe vera?

Also, how does the current formulation of soaps lather up? (sucks we have to ask this stupid question)

The creams and soaps both perform quite well for me. In terms of "commercial" soapmakers, their actual pucks are some of the better values out there. Very slick, straightforward lathering with no hoops to jump through, definitely a solid choice.

As far as scents go, there are two that I enjoy: Limes & Pom, and Aloe. Limes & Pom smells great to me and is one of the few lime scents I truly do like. Most lime gets that harsh chemical edge to it, but the blend with Pom ends up evening it out from a sharp citrus to a sweeter lime, sort of like a cherry 7-Up/Sprite. The Aloe is floral-ish in a nice clean, refreshing sort of way, nothing cloying. The wife loves this one a ton.

The Sea Buckthorn to me smelled a bit too much like peaches, to which I had a terrible allergy as a child and developed negative associations with, so don't take my preference on it as good or bad.

The Sandalwood is a very spicy, smoky scent sort of similar to AoS, which for me is a bad thing, as it just lingers too much for reasonable use, and ends up giving me a headache. If you like the AoS Sandalwood, well worth a try though.

16 249
 08-07-2014, 04:28 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Thanks for the details, much appreciated!
I have a credit at a store that carries EJ products so I figured I'd give them a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 2,545
 08-07-2014, 10:56 PM
User Info
The sandalwood cream smells really nice. I used it a while back and can't really remember the performance. But scents I don't forget and it was nice.

46 1,102
 08-11-2014, 12:37 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
3 votes??? I thought this was a shaving site.

57 2,545
 08-11-2014, 04:10 AM
User Info
(08-11-2014, 12:37 AM)Nero Wrote: 3 votes??? I thought this was a shaving site.
I have never used EJ soaps or creams because I rarely see a review.

It could be fantastic and no one has tried it ?

Or people might think it stinks but don't want to pan it for fear of condescending remarks.

I did read on a forum somewhere that a certain straight razor user liked them for their slickness. But that is second hand and I would take it for what its worth as again I must admit to never using it.

Good luck in your search!

6 1,224
 08-11-2014, 04:27 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
It was kinda a joke. I've never seen a poll on a shaving forum have only 3 votes after so much time. Haha!

Usually everyone has tried everything, but I guess not!

57 2,545
 08-11-2014, 05:13 PM
User Info
(08-11-2014, 04:27 PM)Nero Wrote: It was kinda a joke. I've never seen a poll on a shaving forum have only 3 votes after so much time. Haha!

Usually everyone has tried everything, but I guess not!
Smile I'm still working myself up to everything Smile but my cabinetry is full.

6 1,224
 08-11-2014, 06:08 PM
User Info
(08-11-2014, 04:10 AM)Nickadermis Wrote:
(08-11-2014, 12:37 AM)Nero Wrote: 3 votes??? I thought this was a shaving site.
I have never used EJ soaps or creams because I rarely see a review.

It could be fantastic and no one has tried it ?

Or people might think it stinks but don't want to pan it for fear of condescending remarks.

I did read on a forum somewhere that a certain straight razor user liked them for their slickness. But that is second hand and I would take it for what its worth as again I must admit to never using it.

Good luck in your search!

Eric,

I updated the poll for the OP to take into account the fact people may not have tried EJ creams or just plain don't like them.

129 6,685
 08-11-2014, 06:21 PM
User Info
Thank you Doug !

6 1,224
 08-11-2014, 06:45 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I don't like them for the same reason I don't like the Three T's products. They all irritate my skin.

Scent wise they are all very nice.

175 23,752
 08-11-2014, 07:46 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(08-11-2014, 06:08 PM)wingdo Wrote: I updated the poll for the OP to take into account the fact people may not have tried EJ creams or just plain don't like them.

Thanks!

57 2,545
 08-11-2014, 07:54 PM
User Info
(08-11-2014, 07:46 PM)Nero Wrote:
(08-11-2014, 06:08 PM)wingdo Wrote: I updated the poll for the OP to take into account the fact people may not have tried EJ creams or just plain don't like them.

Thanks!

Anytime. I prefer soaps to creams, and I do not like EJ soaps. I have tried the creams bit while better than the soap to me, the cream did nothing for me.

129 6,685
 08-12-2014, 01:21 AM
User Info
EJ creams (and Mühle, same creams, soaps and ASB's under a different label) are rather nice, and work well. Very slick and moisturising, as long as I can remember.

but I prefer their soaps, and my description of the scents is based on their soaps (althought there are no significant differences).

Sea Buckthorn features a very fruity scent, resembling peaches and apricots, combined with other essences that I can't identify, and is rather nice.
Sandalwood is a very nice… well, sandalwood scent. In fact, it is my favourite sandalwood, way better than the 3T's, AOS and the artisan sandalwood scents that I've tried. A little bit sweet and warm, very nice.
Aloe features a very neutral scent, and reminds me of the Palmolive cream sold here in Europe.

I've not tried the Limes & Pomegranate or the Cooling Menthol varieties.

Of the three I've tried, my favourite is the Sea Buckthorn, followed by the Sandalwood by a close margin. A good idea can be Sandalwood for the winter and Sea Buckthorn for the summer months.

2 5,545
 10-17-2014, 11:53 PM
  • dimitrof
  • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
User Info
I used the Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera cream for quite a while. It has a clean, fresh and pleasant scent - subtle but nice.

It was not the greatest cream lather-wise. Pretty thin and not ultra-slick. It still got the job done, but there are better creams available for sure.

5 57
 10-18-2014, 12:20 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
I just ended up taking up Phil on the 30% Off sale on his EJ creams (I got all 4 scents) and I look forward to using them.
But I've been hooked on this Polish cream all week (very unusual for me) called Wars. It has been excellent and is very cheap on eBay or other European vendors who also ship to the USA.

But I look forward to using the EJ creams because my first impressions on the test lathers is: thick/dense, slick, and copious amounts of lather that is easy to make, and doesn't take a lot of cream to do so. Feels very smooth and coating, which should equal nice cushion and protection and a smooth shave (it's very moist and not super foamy, I like this combo, similar to the Wars cream I'm speaking about above, actually).
All the scents are very calming, natural and a healthy strength (medium).
Time will tell, but I'm really looking forward to these EJ creams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 2,545