08-07-2014, 12:03 AM
User Info
So I've been fiddling around with the idea in my head of replacing a knot on a brush I got a while ago at an antique store. It came in a set with a mug. They are both ceramic. Blue with a gold inlay design of a ship on both so they are identical. The boar knot in it is absolutely shot. I was hoping to shampoo and condition it back to life but the hair is coming out in clumps, and it has a rather ugly glue bump that is popping out the one side.
So the question is. With the steaming method in the pot, will it hurt the handle at all? They are really cool and I don't want to damage the design on the brush in the process of steaming the old knot out. (If I knew how I would put a picture of the brush). What do you guys think?

0 65
 08-07-2014, 04:38 AM
User Info
That's a tough question due to the many variables involved. If you'd like, send me a PM. Perhaps we might set up a time to talk.

4 647
 08-07-2014, 06:38 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
The brush is made of ceramic? I dont think you'll have any problem steaming it out, only if it is one of those brushes that need to be drilled out. But i dont think thats the case.
A picture would help big time Tongue
Sent from my RM-825_lta_brazil_222 using Tapatalk

4 447
 08-07-2014, 09:27 AM
User Info
I would submerge the handle in water first. If any air bubbles come out (ceramic not glazed fully) I wouldn't steam it. I would be afraid of cracking.

I would think your best bet would be using a bench vise to pull it out, or cut it out and Dremil it out. I would still be really careful at those too if you really love the handle.

21 555
 08-07-2014, 10:58 AM
User Info
I would advise drilling it out.

9 3,038