08-07-2014, 05:19 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
anyone who's read my posts on the subject know that I always thought the high end soaps to be over-priced and not worth it. Well, I recently received samples from Garry's Sample Shop of both Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge and Martin de Candre. I understand the draw now. For those who have the means to indulge themselves they are well worth the price. It's a subjective thing still, I've been using them and MWF back and forth. They don't provide any better results than The Fat but the sensory rewards are remarkable. I wish I hadn't done this now because I'll have constant yearning for them both, especially the C&S, but at least now I know.

7 2,328
 08-07-2014, 06:23 AM
User Info
It is certainly subjective as you say, but the quality is definitely there. I enjoy MdC for sure and will keep a pot or two around as long as I am able.

31 8,057
 08-07-2014, 06:29 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
In The early days i also thought that this whole 40 euros soaps thing was rubbish, they couldnt possibly be worthy of The price tag.
Almost two years in The wetshaving game, and several expensive soaps after, i still think that there ARE soaps,like MdC, and Acqua di Parma,to name some, up to their price tag. And some dont.
Besides, theres also some really great inexpensive soaps too. I also think that, with 80% of The expensive soaps, its really a matter of: how much are you willing to pay for its scent. Tongue
Sent from my RM-825_lta_brazil_222 using Tapatalk

4 447
 08-07-2014, 07:47 AM
User Info
With Shave Soaps YMMV is always the big factor.

Now I have to try the C&S. I am a believer in MdC. The initial price aside, the pot lasts forever. I have over 40 shaves on mine and it looks brand new.

3 17
 08-07-2014, 12:08 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
C&S Oxford & Cambridge is my absolute favorite scent in shaving soap. The scent coupled with its exceptional performance make it well worth the cost for me. It took me a while to actually try it, but as soon as I did I was kicking myself for resisting for so long. That is one soap which, if I ever heard was getting discontinued or reformulated, I would be stockpiling like crazy. I enjoy No. 88 as well, but O&C is at the top of my list and by far my favorite non-artisan soap.

34 1,628
 08-07-2014, 04:46 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I am really happy that there are excellent inexpensive soaps for those on a tight budget. Someone can purchase a dozen Sterling soaps of various scents for what a jar of MdC might run. But I'm also happy that there are high end soaps available for those who enjoy them and can afford them. I think it's great that there are so many excellent soaps available today, and it seems there is a new one being reported on almost daily. One isn't necessarily better than the other, and it shouldn't become a "class warfare". If you keep an eye on BST, you can often find a high end soap at a significant discount. I really doubt that MdC is that much more expensive per shave than most other soaps that cost much less, as a jar will last so long. I find it hard to imagine why people tend to get so opinionated or heated over soaps, brushes, and razors. I'm always happy to hear that someone has found a product that they enjoy and works well for them, even if it's one that I had a different experience with. I look forward to my daily shave and the products that I use, and I hope others are able to do the same.

38 5,113
 08-07-2014, 04:48 PM
User Info
(08-07-2014, 04:46 PM)evnpar Wrote: I am really happy that there are excellent inexpensive soaps for those on a tight budget. Someone can purchase a dozen Sterling soaps of various scents for what a jar of MdC might run. But I'm also happy that there are high end soaps available for those who enjoy them and can afford them. I think it's great that there are so many excellent soaps available today, and it seems there is a new one being reported on almost daily. One isn't necessarily better than the other, and it shouldn't become a "class warfare". If you keep an eye on BST, you can often find a high end soap at a significant discount. I really doubt that MdC is that much more expensive per shave than most other soaps that cost much less, as a jar will last so long. I find it hard to imagine why people tend to get so opinionated or heated over soaps, brushes, and razors. I'm always happy to hear that someone has found a product that they enjoy and works well for them, even if it's one that I had a different experience with. I look forward to my daily shave and the products that I use, and I hope others are able to do the same.

I agree completely.

207 12,266
 08-08-2014, 05:52 AM
User Info
I have one jar of MdC that will last a long time at the frequency it gets used, but every time I use it I am reminded of how nice it really is. Does this mean I will replace it when the jar is empty? Probably not as my curiosity has been satisfied and there are other cheaper options that work just as well.

My curiosity for other high-end soaps is a different problem. Rolleyes

1 57
 08-08-2014, 06:11 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(08-07-2014, 04:46 PM)evnpar Wrote: I am really happy that there are excellent inexpensive soaps for those on a tight budget. Someone can purchase a dozen Sterling soaps of various scents for what a jar of MdC might run. But I'm also happy that there are high end soaps available for those who enjoy them and can afford them. I think it's great that there are so many excellent soaps available today, and it seems there is a new one being reported on almost daily. One isn't necessarily better than the other, and it shouldn't become a "class warfare". If you keep an eye on BST, you can often find a high end soap at a significant discount. I really doubt that MdC is that much more expensive per shave than most other soaps that cost much less, as a jar will last so long. I find it hard to imagine why people tend to get so opinionated or heated over soaps, brushes, and razors. I'm always happy to hear that someone has found a product that they enjoy and works well for them, even if it's one that I had a different experience with. I look forward to my daily shave and the products that I use, and I hope others are able to do the same.
Wow. That's not what I was getting at at all. But it's a good point.

7 2,328
 08-08-2014, 06:12 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
(08-07-2014, 04:46 PM)evnpar Wrote: ... I really doubt that MdC is that much more expensive per shave than most other soaps that cost much less, as a jar will last so long...

I have a friend in the Fórum Barbear Clássico (i think hes registered here too) that used MdC for over two years daily. I mean, c'mon, thats about 600 shaves! Less than 0,10 euros per shave Shocked

4 447
 08-08-2014, 03:41 PM
User Info
I just got to try C&S 88 and have owned MdC for some time now. Both soaps are excellent, and I'll happily purchase more when the well runs dry. With that being said, Stirling soaps are excellent, and so is L'Occitane Cade. I recommend both soaps for those on a tight budget.

42 208
 08-08-2014, 03:54 PM
User Info
I've been wanting to try mdc for a while, hopefully one day the funds and my significant other's approval will align and I'll finally get a chance. Until then I'll happily read all the great experiences everyone one has with it.

115 1,005
 08-08-2014, 03:56 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
(08-08-2014, 03:54 PM)essrbc11 Wrote: I've been wanting to try mdc for a while, hopefully one day the funds and my significant other's approval will align and I'll finally get a chance. Until then I'll happily read all the great experiences everyone one has with it.
go to Garry's Sample Shop.

7 2,328
 08-08-2014, 04:00 PM
User Info
(08-08-2014, 03:56 PM)Mouser Wrote:
(08-08-2014, 03:54 PM)essrbc11 Wrote: I've been wanting to try mdc for a while, hopefully one day the funds and my significant other's approval will align and I'll finally get a chance. Until then I'll happily read all the great experiences everyone one has with it.
go to Garry's Sample Shop.
Didn't think about that mouser, I'll have to check it out.

115 1,005
 08-08-2014, 05:59 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(08-08-2014, 06:11 AM)Mouser Wrote:
Wow. That's not what I was getting at at all. But it's a good point.

Sorry mouser, I just got carried away. You made your point well and I should have stuck with it. Confused

38 5,113
 08-09-2014, 03:09 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(08-07-2014, 04:48 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote:

I agree completely.

I agree also. The Stirling soaps are really reasonably-priced and they're excellent. To me, they're the best of all artisan soaps.

3 2,635
 08-09-2014, 10:00 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(08-08-2014, 04:06 AM)nookdecandre Wrote: Get yourself ahold of some XPEC and you will never view all the other soaps or creams in the same light as you did before. It is in a league all by itself. The shave properties and subsequent aftershave properties are completely unique and that much better than anything else out there...period.

I completely agree.

Now, YOU need to go get the new Acqua di Parma. Because if anything is as good as XPEC it's that.

And it's not unscented. I'll just say it again preemptively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59 2,825
 08-10-2014, 01:52 PM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
(08-08-2014, 04:06 AM)nookdecandre Wrote: Once you get your lathering technique down, there are very few soaps or creams out there that you can not get a good lather and good shave. That being said, there are a few soaps or creams that are in a different world, head-and-shoulders above the rest. Not all of those are ultra-expensive, but most of them are.

Get yourself ahold of some XPEC and you will never view all the other soaps or creams in the same light as you did before. It is in a league all by itself. The shave properties and subsequent aftershave properties are completely unique and that much better than anything else out there...period. A more affordable alternative to XPEC is Simpon's new line of shave creams, somewhat a 'poor-man's' XPEC.

MdC is another great soap and above most of the rest but it certainly does not hold the top spot, perhaps in the top half-dozen or so.

So, are some of these ultra-expensive soaps or creams worth the difference ??? I guess it all comes down to a matter of perspective which means there is no clear answer. As for me...I've abandoned the dozens upon dozens of different soaps and creams which used to adorn the den. They have been replaced with less than a half-dozen, only one of which can be had for under $40 which as far as I am concerned goes beyond mere coincidence...but again, that's just my opinion.

Now THAT is some first post!

Would you rate Simpsons original Luxury Shave Cream the same as the newest flavours?

Been looking for XPEC to no avail...

(08-09-2014, 10:00 PM)Nero Wrote:
(08-08-2014, 04:06 AM)nookdecandre Wrote: Get yourself ahold of some XPEC and you will never view all the other soaps or creams in the same light as you did before. It is in a league all by itself. The shave properties and subsequent aftershave properties are completely unique and that much better than anything else out there...period.

I completely agree.

Now, YOU need to go get the new Acqua di Parma. Because if anything is as good as XPEC it's that.

And it's not unscented. I'll just say it again preemptively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acqua di Parma shaving oil and soft shave cream represent my most extreme shaving related expenditures. I had high hopes after reading here about the performance of the cream and the intoxicating scent. The sales lady (all are female on the staff at the local stockist) told me the cream was unscented, a new formulation, designed to reduce customer complaints about the scent clashing with their colognes. I blew that comment off as balderdash. I had read the reviews and it says on the containers "Parfum (Fragrance)".

On trying the AdP products I found, to my nose, they are as unscented as any unscented product I have experienced. Then try as I may I was unable to locate old Colonia scented stock.

The shave performance of both the oil and cream are the best I have had but at this extreme price point a great scent is a must. I envy those that can detect a scent from the new product.

I had economized by purchasing a tube rather than a tub. Could this be the issue? Is there a difference in product between the two?

I seek the remarkable sensory rewards Mouser discovered.

Is it worth risking a tub of AdP?

0 631