08-07-2014, 06:04 AM
User Info
Hey Guys,

I have a Vie-Long horse hair that I used for about a year as a travel brush. It's knot is a little worse for wear due to not drying out 100% before being shoved back into my suitcase.

I'm contemplating steaming out the knot and replacing it; I already have a few silvertips and 2 bands so I wanted to give boar/synthetic knots a shot.

Does anyone have any experience with TGN's boar knots and/or synthetic knots? I think the knot i'm looking at is a 20-21mm knot.

Thanks!

22 653
 08-07-2014, 04:39 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I have used TGNs synthetic knots and have always found them to be a very good value for the money. From my experience, I would say the current knots are similar to the Muhle silvertip fiber synthetics. I think you will be pleased with them.

19 565
 08-07-2014, 04:47 PM
User Info
I like my TGN synthetic. Its a great traveler! Dries fast and can take anything the TSA dishes out.

6 1,224
 08-09-2014, 04:06 AM
User Info
(08-07-2014, 04:39 PM)matloffm Wrote: I have used TGNs synthetic knots and have always found them to be a very good value for the money. From my experience, I would say the current knots are similar to the Muhle silvertip fiber synthetics. I think you will be pleased with them.

+1

2 586
 08-09-2014, 12:19 PM
User Info
I think I will go with the synthetics.

I have a Vie Long 14080 whose handle is very ergonomic and fits my hand perfectly. I recently picked up one of the BnB boar brushes and find that Semogues boar hair feels just as prickly as VL's horse hair. The horse hair feel softer, but there are far too many "stingers" in that knot, not to mention that the horse hair knot seems to be a shedder. The BnB boar knot seems to feel just as prickly, except with much more backbone. I've only used it 3 times now so it might not have fully broken in yet, but I've noticed the tips have begun to split.

I have an Omega travel boar which is amazing, it's tips are soft but have lots of backbone. I have a Muhle STF V2 brush which is amazing, but the handle doesn't fit well in my hand and causes me some discomfort with extended use.

I'm hoping that the combination of Vie-Long handle and synthetic knot will end my SBAD and I can focus on thinning my den, rather than expanding it.

22 653
 08-09-2014, 03:12 PM
User Info
IMO, a synthetic brush would absolutely excel at being a travel brush!

I like them for a shave at home, but if I did travel no doubt I'd take one along. In fact I had one made specifically with that in mind. A copy of the Omega Bambino handle and a 20mm TGN syn' knot. It fits into a tiny Rx vial.

Here it is with the purple handle.
[Image: DSC03900_zps487cff20.jpg]

32 6,445
 08-09-2014, 07:11 PM
User Info
Thanks Brian!

Incidentally, it was your review of the Omega 50014 that prompted me to buy one; what a great brush! It's because of that brush I chose to get the BnB boar brush, but i'm not as enthused with it as with the 50014.

I too prefer smaller brushes, I believe the knot size of my Vie-Long is 21mm, but i've researched it a bit and some websites state it as being 21mm, others say it's 23mm. I'll steam out the knot one of these days and find out for sure.

I really like the Muhle STF knot; it's wonderfully soft with great backbone. Do you know if TGN used Muhle STF knots?

22 653
 08-09-2014, 11:18 PM
User Info
(08-07-2014, 06:04 AM)Starkicker Wrote: Does anyone have any experience with TGN's boar knots and/or synthetic knots?

I had the TGN pure bristle,don't worth nothing
Lather absorb and not giving back anything,a problematic knot,stay away from it !
I have bough 2 kind of TGN Synthetics,the new 3 Band Nylon is a very good knot
You can rely on it as a travel brush and more.

0 353