08-07-2014, 06:21 AM
User Info
hi guys ! i shave on alternate days ( with good results ) usually but my new job demands me to shave daily. most of my current DE razors ( parker 98R, 34C, 37C, EJ89 ) don't allow me to switch over to daily shaving. can a smoother shaver do the trick. if yes, i am looking forward to your suggestions on razor choice !

1 495
 08-07-2014, 07:18 AM
User Info
It has alot to do with the type of beard and type of skin you have. Possibly a milder razor or a more forgiving blade if you are experiencing alot of razor burn. If the razor tugs with no razor burn try a sharper blade. The Feather stainless is a mild razor. If price is an issue Weishi makes a TTO chrome plated all brass model thats mild IMHO but the quality is lacking a bit.

6 589
 08-07-2014, 07:18 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
Smoother than EJ? Not many razors in this category...
Maybe a schick krona, or a adjstable razor in a low setting.
But maybe you can change to a smoother blade instead ?
Sent from my RM-825_lta_brazil_222 using Tapatalk

4 447
 08-07-2014, 07:46 AM
User Info
You might want to try an Schick injector razor. The I-1 or I-2 are both good choices. Your choice of blades will be limited to the Chinese Schicks or the Personna coated. The Chinese Schicks sell for about $5-7 per 7 blade package and are fairly sharp. The Personna blades sell for about $10 for a 20 blade package. the Personna blades are not as sharp as the Schicks but I think they are smoother. You can learn about injectors from the SE threads.

eric.

Since you are in India, another option is the Gillette Guard. I have heard good things about them although I have not tried one myself.

eric.

7 150
 08-07-2014, 08:21 AM
User Info
i am good with alternate day shaving and don't get any kind of irritation. but in my new job i am required to shave daily. i have tried it a few times but not with comfort with my current razors. so i am asking you guys - is shaving with a smoother razor is the answer ? if yes which one would you suggest ? i have shortlisted 2 :
ikon shavecraft 101 and feather asd2
looking for your impressions on these !

1 495
 08-07-2014, 08:41 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I finally stumbled on a combo that works for me to shave daily as needed for work. The Razor is the Standard (black) with a Personna Blade. Gets me pretty smooth in 2-3 passes without irritation and I have stubble in about 10-12 hrs.

61 4,628
 08-07-2014, 08:56 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
(08-07-2014, 08:21 AM)buddingshaver Wrote: i am good with alternate day shaving and don't get any kind of irritation. but in my new job i am required to shave daily. i have tried it a few times but not with comfort with my current razors. so i am asking you guys - is shaving with a smoother razor is the answer ? if yes which one would you suggest ? i have shortlisted 2 :
ikon shavecraft 101 and feather asd2
looking for your impressions on these !

I have the Ikon Shave craft 101. It is a great razor for a mild irritation free shave. I have not tried a feather razor yet so I can't comment on the shave. I will say that the Ikon is $75.00 on their website, and the feather razors are north of $200.00.

29 1,627
 08-07-2014, 10:14 AM
User Info
You might already have what you need. Are you using no pressure? Certainly our faces are different, but I can shave with far more aggressive razors and absolutely the sharpest blade with no irritation. Of course YMMV.

Really examine your shave and the skin during it. If it deforms inward significantly under the razor use less pressure. It's ok for it to be pulled in the direction of razor travel. You might just find that you have what you need already.

32 6,471
 08-07-2014, 10:21 AM
User Info
I could shave everyday with my Feather AS-D2. Always a smooth, comfortable shave.
Good Luck.

~~~~
Primo

39 3,952
 08-07-2014, 10:48 AM
  • Jack
  • Old School
  • Long Island
User Info
I have no suggestions as to razors, blades or otherwise....the most conveniest and practical solution would be to go to a 36 hour shave regime.

0 170
 08-07-2014, 11:00 AM
User Info
I too find it hard to shave everyday because of irritation. When I do shave consecutive days, I go with my Merkur 34C(which you have) my most comfy blade and the slickest best soap I own. I avoid ATG.

0 1,007
 08-07-2014, 05:53 PM
User Info
thanx to all for your valuable advice !

1 495
 08-07-2014, 06:02 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(08-07-2014, 06:21 AM)buddingshaver Wrote: hi guys ! i shave on alternate days ( with good results ) usually but my new job demands me to shave daily. most of my current DE razors ( parker 98R, 34C, 37C, EJ89 ) don't allow me to switch over to daily shaving. can a smoother shaver do the trick. if yes, i am looking forward to your suggestions on razor choice !

I am now, and have been for decades, a daily shaver. As of today, I am well into, but far from finishing, a serious experiment. A cartridge razor shaver (employing throughout full pre-shave prep with a badger brush) for four decades, I am giving DE shaving a fair chance to prove itself. My DE razor of choice to act as "champion" for all other DE razors is the Standard Razors razor, currently (and probably not for long) available from the Bespoke website in the "Barber" package at a very attractive price; Michael Ham, of the "Later On" blog, likes the Standard Razors razor very much.

To conduct my experiment, I committed myself going in to use a significant number of blades (in my case, 46: 25 Gillette Silver Blues, 20 Iridium Supers, and one Astra SP) through what proves to be their respective useful lifetimes, which -- on my face -- seems to be six shaves per blade for all three varieties. I am less than one-third through the experiment.

If I had to end the trial today (which I do not) I would ditch the DE razor altogether, and return to my Schick Hydro 3. The Hydro 3 is a very good razor; it is efficient, so I complete a shave easily in one pass; it does not irritate my skin (when I have properly executed my pre-shave routine), and I find that the cost per shave -- as opposed to cost per blade/cartridge change -- is very comparable to the cost per shave for the DE razor.

So, to answer your question directly: if you must have a clean shave every day, my advice -- as of today -- is to go with a Schick Hydro 3.

1 1,110
 08-07-2014, 06:34 PM
User Info
How many passes do you do? Perhaps a simple one pass WTG shave on alternate days with the gear you have would work. Of course a good reason to shop for new hardware is good Wink

1 346