08-07-2014, 06:54 AM
User Info
Gentlemen: Here is a prototype re-handle of my Merkur 39c Slant. (Of course, I had to make a matching brush to go along with itWink) The handle's a variation of a design I developed a while back for my other D.E. razors. I find it allows a great deal of control, particularly ATG. Due to the two-piece design, the handle length is pretty tightly constrained, which necessitated going through nevermindhowmany iterations using a CAD program and scrap wood before settling on this version.

Now the question before the jury is: is this design something in which any of you might have an interest?

That said: here are a few specs...
Handle material: Cocobolo finished in a short oil rubbing varnish.
Length: 112mm (~7mm longer than stock; can be extended another 3mm if desired).
Weight: 100 grams (about 15 grams less than stock, balance point's about the same)

Thank you for your consideration.[Image: S7Uh02G.jpg]

2 610
 08-07-2014, 08:37 PM
User Info
The matching Handle and Brush look incredible. I would definitely be interested in these beauties! Gorgeous grain to boot!

11 132
 08-07-2014, 09:09 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Very nice workmanship Brad! I usually grip my safety razors nearer to the metal top bulge on the handle you show. I like your design and wonder how it would be for my shaving habits.
again, beautiful job of work!
~Richard

8 1,194
 08-07-2014, 10:11 PM
User Info
Absolutely Gorgeous Brad! Very Nice Design and looks like it would be a comfy grip.

46 1,102
 08-08-2014, 08:14 AM
User Info
They look like a king and queen (or maybe a bishop)!

When birthday/Christmastime comes, I'll be in touch about which of your offerings fits the EJ DE89, Brad.

8 915
 08-08-2014, 08:57 AM
User Info
I appreciate your kind words, Gentlemen. For the record, here are two Parkers I re-handled. The first was a commissioned piece in oil-finished Cocobolo, while the second (also in Cocobolo--yes, that species has a tremendous color range(!)--photo is a twin to one that I reach for when I don't go after the 39c (above.) Both of these are sized to fit my size 11 paw, but can be re-sized to fit just about any hand. I also re-handled my E.J. DE89 in the same design using a piece of ebony I had laying around. (Might feature that on the SOTD one of these days when (if) things slow down Cool)
[Image: jJBq6Cs.jpg]
[Image: MfAACQr.jpg]

And to keep things interesting, here's a Merkur 198 (37c) with a more standard acrylic handle. All these razors are sold, but can easily be replicated.
[Image: o21AIBO.jpg]

2 610
 08-08-2014, 10:46 AM
User Info
Nice Brad. How is the weight and balance on the wood handles?

0 1,007
 08-08-2014, 11:09 AM
User Info
(08-08-2014, 10:46 AM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: Nice Brad. How is the weight and balance on the wood handles?
The Mekur HD handles are about the same as the stock handles. For three-piece razors, one of the beauties of this handle design is that there is a lot of flexibility. For example: I like my razors balanced right at the cove just below the head. I find that balance point makes it very easy to achieve a "no pressure" shave, particularly with "aggressive" razors like the Parker. But that said: I've turned handles with added weight (shot sealed in epoxy) to replicate the stock balance--or to increase the overall weight of the razor.

That's something we can talk about, if you have an interest.

2 610
 08-09-2014, 06:05 PM
  • mbrando
  • Bolingbrook, IL USA
User Info
Hello,
Your turnings are gorgeous. Cocobolo is just a good looking material.

Can I ask what your retail price point is on these turnings? If that is for a private discussion PM me.

- Mike

0 108
 08-10-2014, 09:21 AM
User Info
(08-09-2014, 06:05 PM)mbrando Wrote: Hello,
Your turnings are gorgeous. Cocobolo is just a good looking material.

Can I ask what your retail price point is on these turnings? If that is for a private discussion PM me.

- Mike
Hello, Mike. I appreciate your kind words. To answer your question, I'm happy to discuss prices especially since they are publicly displayed on my Etsy shop, in galleries, as well as in art shows.

In the wet shaving space...

I have (basically) three price points for razors with wooden & acrylic handles:
  • The Parker razors are $55.00US
  • The Merkur standard razors--open or closed comb--are $77.50
  • The Merkur HD series are $85.00

Tru stone handles are slightly higher. I don't yet have "handles only." I'm working with a local machine shop to design connectors that are uniquely mine. (Stay tuned on that!)

Priority Mail (2-3 day)Domestic shipping for all of the above is $6.00. International shipping is also available with costs varying by country.

Shaving brushes start at $45-$50 for the handle only, then go from there depending on whether a knot (TGN or WSP) is chosen. I have some, like my dedicated bowl lathering brushes, that are slightly higher, but not significantly so. Shipping on brushes is the same as for razors. A razor & brush may be combined into one package with no shipping increase.

Shaving bowls start at $28.50 for a small lather bowl and go up to $135.00 for a gallery-quality lidded Cocobolo or burl wood piece. Shipping on bowls varies by weight and destination.

I have a representative sample of brushes and bowls on Etsy, but only one or two razors listed at this time. I do have a number of D.E.--and even a few Mach 3 style--razors in inventory however--and would be delighted to make them available or to craft a razor, brush and/or shaving bowl to your specifications.

Thanks again for your interest!

2 610
 08-10-2014, 09:24 AM
User Info
Your craftsmanship is superb. I don't mean to be discouraging, but honestly, I am not interested in the razors. I had a wood-handled one once and just didn't like the feel. I prefer metal.

207 12,257
 08-10-2014, 09:30 AM
User Info
(08-10-2014, 09:24 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Your craftsmanship is superb. I don't mean to be discouraging, but honestly, I am not interested in the razors. I had a wood-handled one once and just didn't like the feel. I prefer metal.

No worries, John. Shaving accoutrement preferences are highly subjective and frankly, its those differences that make the world go 'round Smile

Now if I was a machinist...Pancarta

2 610
 08-10-2014, 04:33 PM
  • mbrando
  • Bolingbrook, IL USA
User Info
Hi Brad,
I've bookmarked your etsy page. Thank you for the pricing.
- Mike

0 108