08-07-2014, 08:09 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Got this straight for a bit of nothing. Spent the evening working on it.

[Image: 100_1899.JPG]
[Image: 100_1900.JPG]
[Image: 100_1901.JPG]

It's a full hollow ground, or close to, so I knew going in that it wasn't going to be a pristine blade when I got done. It's got a decent nick in the edge, but I believe I can hone it out. Considered breadknifing the blade, but the edge has a slight smile that I want to keep, so I'll take care of it by honing. Shouldn't be a problem.
The goal here is not a restoration. I simply want to get the blade clean of rust, and make it into a decent shaver. I think I achieved the first goal.

[Image: 100_1904.JPG]
[Image: 100_1905.JPG]
[Image: 100_1907.JPG]

As soon as I have time to get back to it I'll hone that nick out and get a nice edge on it.
Thanks for looking!

2 1,683
 08-07-2014, 08:23 PM
User Info
I've really got to find a junker and try cleaning one up. Nice work.

129 6,685
 08-07-2014, 09:16 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
And......I did not like that as much as I thought I would. I think a brushed finish will look better on this blade.

[Image: 100_1909.JPG]

[Image: 100_1910.JPG]

That's better.

Wingdo, thanks. You should try it. There's all kinds of information on how to do it, and you can take it as far as you like.
If you try it, my advice would be to do the best you can to find the cleanest blade you can. The cleaner you start out with, the easier it is and the more options you have.
The last one I did, a J.R. Torrey, really only needed a tiny bit of work with paper and then just polish, and it came out great.
This one was dirtier than I like them, but if it had been a thicker blade I would have had a lot more options. But I think it'll be a fine shaver when all is said and done, and that was the goal.
There's a wedge or near wedge the same place I got this one, but I'm not sure I would like that thick of a blade. I find I like full hollows over everything else.

2 1,683
 08-07-2014, 10:54 PM
User Info
My advice to anyone new to straight razor restoration who don't want to put out to much cash is to make yourself one of these they are a huge help while hand sanding and very accurate plus they offer a stable and safe platform while working the blade here's one I made sometime ago, in fact I used it to restore a very fine blade last week.

OK here we have a little sanding jig I made for razors that will need more work than just the buffing wheels with compound, the hardwood section as three rare earth magnets sitting flush and housed out level to the surface of the hardwood then glued down, then a 4 1/2 in X 1 1/2 in piece of mild steel glued firmly on top so that becomes a really firm magnetized plate that will hold your blade and edge very important flush and tight on the plate, also you see a small raised piece of hardwood that stops the blade moving back off the jig tight where the spine sits, also you will need a small hardwood sanding hand held stick with a piece of 4mm leather glued to the rounded off end, now cut your various grades of wet & dry to fit the width of the sanding stick hold firmly and away you go, always slide your razor off the plate when you want to turn your blade over, forgot to add you will need to clamp the jig to something firm while sanding, a good little set up for blades that have some serious pitting going on.

[Image: 001_zps29cdc4f0.jpg~original]

11 1,921
 08-08-2014, 03:17 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Jamie, I was thinking I'd like to have one of these while working on this blade. Thanks for posting!

2 1,683
 08-09-2014, 06:19 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(08-07-2014, 10:54 PM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: My advice to anyone new to straight razor restoration who don't want to put out to much cash is to make yourself one of these...

Jamie!
That sounds awesome,
Thank you for posting your rig setup.

Mike,
It looks like you did a good job so far on this blade Biggrin

9 1,684
 08-10-2014, 09:39 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
James, thanks. I really want to go further, but it's a full hollow and I'm anxious about that. Probably gonna go for it, anyway. I'll keep everyone posted.

2 1,683
 08-12-2014, 06:39 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Honed this blade up and shaved with it last night. Used it in my Stirling SDM review video. Wonderful razor. One of the best shaves in my life. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

2 1,683
 08-14-2014, 06:47 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
(08-07-2014, 10:54 PM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: ...snip..

OK here we have a little sanding jig I made for razors that will need more work than just the buffing wheels with compound, the hardwood section as three rare earth magnets sitting flush and housed out level to the surface of the hardwood then glued down, then a 4 1/2 in X 1 1/2 in piece of mild steel glued firmly on top so that becomes a really firm magnetized plate that will hold your blade and edge very important flush and tight on the plate, also you see a small raised piece of hardwood that stops the blade moving back off the jig tight where the spine sits, also you will need a small hardwood sanding hand held stick with a piece of 4mm leather glued to the rounded off end, now cut your various grades of wet & dry to fit the width of the sanding stick hold firmly and away you go, always slide your razor off the plate when you want to turn your blade over, forgot to add you will need to clamp the jig to something firm while sanding, a good little set up for blades that have some serious pitting going on.
Excellent way to make one! Thank you!
Only adding that making it a bit shorter to only the plate can allow work on scaled blades.
Nice!
~Richard

8 1,194
 10-12-2014, 12:39 PM
User Info
Nicely cleaned up! Good job with it

11 489