08-09-2014, 05:57 PM
  • mbrando
  • Bolingbrook, IL USA
User Info
Hello,

I've been honing straight razors for a few years now. There are many styles or ways hone razors. Some like coticules and slurry. I personally like grit progression 1K through 15K.

So back to my question. What do you like to finish on? I used to have this little black surgical hard Arkansas hone from Norton. I mean little it was like 2x3x1. But it worked so well. Lots of little strokes. Biggrin

I liked it so much that when I saw a full size black surgical hard Arkansas 3x8x1/2 at WoodCraft for $55 I bought it. Lapped it to near mirror and replace my little hone with the larger one.

I really like the black surgical hard Arkansas as a finisher after my 15K Chinese wet hone.

What do you use for finishing?

- Mike

0 108
 08-09-2014, 06:38 PM
User Info
Naniwa SS 12k is my finishing hone. I then go to CrOx.

50 6,431
 08-09-2014, 06:54 PM
  • mbrando
  • Bolingbrook, IL USA
User Info
Hello,

Have you had any issues with CrOx? I've heard rumors that it can gall or hallow the bevel making the edge not last as long, or so the rumor goes.

Do you use CrOx on balsa wood or leather?

- Mike

0 108
 08-10-2014, 07:09 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Newer to the hone game..
The finishing hone for me
Naniwa Super 12k

Sometimes
CROx or Diamond spray as final gritty things

9 1,684
 08-11-2014, 11:24 AM
User Info
(08-09-2014, 05:57 PM)mbrando Wrote: Hello,

I've been honing straight razors for a few years now. There are many styles or ways hone razors. Some like coticules and slurry. I personally like grit progression 1K through 15K.

So back to my question. What do you like to finish on? I used to have this little black surgical hard Arkansas hone from Norton. I mean little it was like 2x3x1. But it worked so well. Lots of little strokes. Biggrin

I liked it so much that when I saw a full size black surgical hard Arkansas 3x8x1/2 at WoodCraft for $55 I bought it. Lapped it to near mirror and replace my little hone with the larger one.

I really like the black surgical hard Arkansas as a finisher after my 15K Chinese wet hone.

What do you use for finishing?

- Mike

Mike,

Also a big fan of using Arkies for finishing. I have a bunch of different ones and depending on my mood will use either an SB or one of the vintage trans arkies. I do about 2-300 blade weight only circles or x strokes on mineral oil. It seems that when I get a really sharp Jnat edge, the arkie makes it more comfortable without sacrificing a noticeable amount of keenness.

I don't know that I'd use it after a coti, but there are folks who do.

5 298
 08-11-2014, 11:41 AM
  • mbrando
  • Bolingbrook, IL USA
User Info
Hi,
Nice! I have a 2 piece vintage translucent ark. It was one piece at one point in it life, but the original owner must have broken it. It still works will.

When I finish on my SB ark Keep the X pattern heal toe and some rolling in it with just water. When It starts to stick I stop.

- Mike

0 108
 08-11-2014, 01:43 PM
User Info
(08-09-2014, 06:54 PM)mbrando Wrote: Hello,

Have you had any issues with CrOx? I've heard rumors that it can gall or hallow the bevel making the edge not last as long, or so the rumor goes.

- Mike

There are many views about CrOx, as there are about any other aspect of honing. When I first started out I had a bad case of information overload. There are so many articles and videos out there, and they often give conflicting advice. One of the most important lessons I learned is that while there are a few firm rules, many aspects of honing come down to experimenting and seeing what works best for you.

I've gotten good results from CrOx on balsa. Others have gotten good results on a felt paddle, or various materials on a hanging strop. I have read about problems with CrOx along the lines of what you mention, or that it can round the edge, but never experienced any of them. Just try options and determine for yourself what works.

50 6,431
 08-11-2014, 07:06 PM
User Info
Suehiro 20k. It makes me believe I am a much better honer than I really am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

10 58
 08-11-2014, 08:46 PM
User Info
Naniwa 12 K
CrOx 0.5 micron on leather and balsa
Diamond slurry 0.25 on felt
Cubic Boron Nitride (CBN) 0.125 on nanocloth

I also have a Jnat and few coticules I sometimes use to finish.

Then sometimes I do a full hone on lapping film down to 0.3 micron AlOx and 0.1 micron diamond.

21 1,686
 08-12-2014, 04:29 AM
User Info
I finish on JNATS _exclusively these days. I expect to begin full progressions on JNATS soon.

Frank

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

2 229
 08-12-2014, 04:30 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

My finishing patterns depends. After the 12k Naniwa, I either move to two Japanese natural stones in progression, I would guess in the 12K-16K range, or to the Suehiro Gokumyo 20000K.

153 3,131
 08-12-2014, 05:35 AM
  • mbrando
  • Bolingbrook, IL USA
User Info
(08-11-2014, 01:43 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:

- Mike

There are many views about CrOx, as there are about any other aspect of honing. When I first started out I had a bad case of information overload. There are so many articles and videos out there, and they often give conflicting advice. One of the most important lessons I learned is that while there are a few firm rules, many aspects of honing come down to experimenting and seeing what works best for you.

I've gotten good results from CrOx on balsa. Others have gotten good results on a felt paddle, or various materials on a hanging strop. I have read about problems with CrOx along the lines of what you mention, or that it can round the edge, but never experienced any of them. Just try options and determine for yourself what works.

Hello,
Yes, it does take some experimenting to get "your" process down. Smile

- Mike

0 108
 08-12-2014, 04:37 PM
User Info
(08-12-2014, 05:35 AM)mbrando Wrote:
(08-11-2014, 01:43 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:

- Mike

Hello,
Yes, it does take some experimenting to get "your" process down. Smile

- Mike

I'm pretty new to honing but today it's a JNat either an Okunomon Suita or a Nakayama Nashiji) or for a synthetic the Suehiro G20. I have a Zulu Grey that works also although it's somewhat slower.

4 41
 08-12-2014, 06:17 PM
  • mbrando
  • Bolingbrook, IL USA
User Info
(08-12-2014, 04:37 PM)FrankC Wrote: I'm pretty new to honing but today it's a JNat either an Okunomon Suita or a Nakayama Nashiji) or for a synthetic the Suehiro G20. I have a Zulu Grey that works also although it's somewhat slower.

Hello,
I've been looking at jNat's for a bit now. I just have not done enough research to know what I'm buying. Do they work like single grit hones with a slurry or does their slurry make them act like a coticule? But then again they jNat's and probably act like a jNat Biggrin

- Mike

0 108
 08-13-2014, 04:48 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Loving experimentation, i often switch hones.
Finishers:
Escher blue
Escher blu/grun
Escher Y/G
Assorted Thuringians
Some Coticules
Some BBWs
HGH
Zulu
Black Arky
Lapping film,
AJ's Welsh Hones

So the question is what do you want to use. All the above give pleasing edges.

Man made hones are more forgiving and faster. Some naturals are very slow. Some are fast and can get you into trouble quickly. Japanese hones are generally very high priced and you are really uncertain of their usage and final worth.
Any natural hone takes practice and finding someone, near you, that hones to teach you to save time and hassles.

How many razors do you intend to hone.

Many of use started honing and shaving off a 4-8 Norton or a 2-6 King(Ice Bear)followed by CromOX.

Only the last couple years have the really high grit man made hones come to the market.
YMMV
~Richard

8 1,194
 08-14-2014, 04:19 AM
  • mbrando
  • Bolingbrook, IL USA
User Info
(08-13-2014, 04:48 PM)geezer Wrote: Loving experimentation, i often switch hones....

How many razors do you intend to hone.

Many of use started honing and shaving off a 4-8 Norton or a 2-6 King(Ice Bear)followed by CromOX.

Only the last couple years have the really high grit man made hones come to the market.
YMMV
~Richard

Hello,

I was just curious what others liked for finishing. I offer honing service on my web site and hope to become a vendor here soon. We hone anywhere form 1 to 6 razor a week. I like to make sure I'm balancing efficiency and a keen edge.

- Mike

0 108
 08-14-2014, 05:37 AM
User Info
I started out just using the Norton 8k and some CrOx on polywebbing as my finisher. Once I mastered that, I bought myself a Naniwa 12k SS to celebrate my new skillset.

I'm about to break out the old PHIG I have lying around and try it out on a restored Shumate I have in the bin. Those blades take such an easy/smooth edge it's crazy.

3 153
 08-14-2014, 05:52 AM
  • mbrando
  • Bolingbrook, IL USA
User Info
(08-14-2014, 05:37 AM)BudWhite Wrote: I started out just using the Norton 8k and some CrOx on polywebbing as my finisher. Once I mastered that, I bought myself a Naniwa 12k SS to celebrate my new skillset.

I'm about to break out the old PHIG I have lying around and try it out on a restored Shumate I have in the bin. Those blades take such an easy/smooth edge it's crazy.
Hello,
One of my first ebay buys was crust looking Shumate. The blade still has pits in it but, it takes one of the best edges in my collection. Biggrin

- Mike

0 108
 08-21-2014, 02:13 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I finish on one of three.. Shapton Glass 16k works for most. But some razors speak to me with a different note, and look for a Natural finish. They get treated to the A-Net. African Natural Zulu Grey. Last, there a few vintage razors that are near and dear to me that get finished on the Surgical Black Arkansas that was my Dad's.

33 914
 08-21-2014, 04:56 AM
  • mbrando
  • Bolingbrook, IL USA
User Info
Hello,

African Natural Zulu Grey. It works nice? It my first time seeing this.

- Mike

0 108