08-11-2014, 10:46 AM
User Info
Found an interesting article over at WIRED that states what is obvious to me; disposables can't hold a candle to traditional safety razors. YMMV off course Smile

Also, I liked this comment on disposables:
Quote:Some of the pricier varieties are miracles of engineering, with more blades than a flotilla of sea pirates.

3 4,374
 08-11-2014, 12:11 PM
User Info
It's wonderful that traditional shaving is getting more exposure!

40 5,830
 08-11-2014, 12:20 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
 08-11-2014, 01:16 PM
User Info
Well, it's good for the exposure, but it was also incorrect by omission IMO. IMO he implied that a safety razor was a DE razor. He left out single edge razors which many of us who use them find superior to DE. Why do people disregard possibly the best razors folks can shave with?

Of course I didn't write the article, but really, can it be that difficult to get the full information in this digital age? It wouldn't take more than a few minutes with a search engine. If I did write the article I'd want it to be complete. But maybe he gets paid by the article and not by words and he just needed to produce something, anything.

Oh well, at least it was exposure.

32 6,445
 08-11-2014, 01:28 PM
User Info
(08-11-2014, 01:16 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Well, it's good for the exposure, but it was also incorrect by omission IMO. IMO he implied that a safety razor was a DE razor. He left out single edge razors which many of us who use them find superior to DE. Why do people disregard possibly the best razors folks can shave with?

Of course I didn't write the article, but really, can it be that difficult to get the full information in this digital age? It wouldn't take more than a few minutes with a search engine. If I did write the article I'd want it to be complete. But maybe he gets paid by the article and not by words and he just needed to produce something, anything.

I guess one could argue that there's not that many new SE razors on the market today.

It looks like the article writer bought all of his shaving gear as brand new equipment.

40 5,830
 08-11-2014, 06:11 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
And of course non can hold a candle to straights.Biggrin

38 5,036
 08-11-2014, 09:14 PM
User Info
(08-11-2014, 01:28 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:
(08-11-2014, 01:16 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Well, it's good for the exposure, but it was also incorrect by omission IMO. IMO he implied that a safety razor was a DE razor. He left out single edge razors which many of us who use them find superior to DE. Why do people disregard possibly the best razors folks can shave with?

I guess one could argue that there's not that many new SE razors on the market today.

It looks like the article writer bought all of his shaving gear as brand new equipment.

Most likely this - I would love to see someone bring back a SE safety razor and market it.
The author also left out injectors, which I know some people love, but at least with injectors you can still buy "Off Brand Razor Handle That is Compatible With Schick Injector Refill Blades", so there is that... can you still buy new, brand name injectors?

3 4,374
 08-13-2014, 07:11 AM
User Info
I thought the article was fair enough, from a novices point of view. As a casual non-traditional shave reader I would have become bored with too many details. He did not tell us what brand of blade he was using...which was probably a Dorco or "barber" type blade and resulted in just one usage. Exposure(however limited) to our way of shaving IMO was the point of his article.

0 1,007
 08-13-2014, 07:27 AM
User Info
(08-13-2014, 07:11 AM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: ... He did not tell us what brand of blade he was using...which was probably a Dorco or "barber" type blade and resulted in just one usage.

The author did link to the kit he used, which includes five each of Sharks and Green Astra blades.

3 4,374
 08-13-2014, 10:37 AM
User Info
(08-13-2014, 07:27 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote:
(08-13-2014, 07:11 AM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: ... He did not tell us what brand of blade he was using...which was probably a Dorco or "barber" type blade and resulted in just one usage.

The author did link to the kit he used, which includes five each of Sharks and Green Astra blades.

Shoot...I didn't catch that. Well if he used the Astra's then he's doing something wrong. I can get 3 shaves out of them.

0 1,007
 08-17-2014, 07:42 AM
User Info
(08-11-2014, 01:28 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:

Yes, you're probably correct. Thanks. I missed that.

32 6,445
 08-17-2014, 09:49 AM
User Info
(08-11-2014, 06:11 PM)evnpar Wrote: And of course non can hold a candle to straights.Biggrin

Agreed

19 775
 08-17-2014, 11:38 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
(08-13-2014, 10:37 AM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote:
(08-13-2014, 07:27 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote:

Shoot...I didn't catch that. Well if he used the Astra's then he's doing something wrong. I can get 3 shaves out of them.

YMMV, It could be the razor or his technique. I have had issues with Astra SP in my 57 Gillette rocket, but get a great shave with them in my Ikon Shavecraft, even on the 4th shave.
(08-17-2014, 09:49 AM)minimalist Wrote:
(08-11-2014, 06:11 PM)evnpar Wrote: And of course non can hold a candle to straights.Biggrin

Agreed

+1

A good little article to put a little more light on a better way to shave. I hope he inspires a few more to try out a SE, DE and/or straight.

28 1,620
 08-17-2014, 12:21 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
A very pleasant article, Hans. However, I'm not so sure it would really help a newbie choose to get into a more traditional form of shaving.

On a side note, this guy must have barbed wire for hair. No matter what he used, save for the straight, he only got one shave from a blade or disposable. I'm glad I don't have his beard. Cool

2 11,211