08-11-2014, 08:16 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I have a Semogue Badger that I've been using every other day for the good part of four months. It shed a few hairs during the first few weeks but settled in quickly.

The hair has softened wonderfully but I over the past few weeks, I've noticed very short hairs in my lather. These are usually a few mm long and are far from being full strands of hair.

I use just the weight of the brush to build and apply the lather. This causes a natural degree of splay but I don't mash the knot in any way.

This is the first time I've encountered this behavior and wonder if this is still classified as shedding or if these are tips breaking off the shafts of the hair?

2 286
 08-11-2014, 09:22 PM
User Info
I would contact Vintage Scent and let Bruno ( his username here is Leon) and let him know what's going on and that your not happy with a shedding brush. He is a very easy to deal with and I'm sure he'll take care of you! There is usually some shedding but shouldn't keep happening. I'm sure he would agree with that as well. Semogue makes a quality product and Mr. Gomes who is Semogue would like to know if you have a issue with one of his brushes, they have fantastic customer service!

2 805
 08-11-2014, 09:33 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I'm still OK with the brush. The small bits haven't affected performance yet. Neither has it accelerated. It's just two or three really short hairs that appear in my lather every other day.

2 286
 08-11-2014, 10:02 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
I've had that happen with a high quality brush and it stopped nearly immediately. It may or may not have contributed to slight scritch in the brush, but of that I really cannot be certain.

10 753
 08-22-2014, 06:19 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I contacted Bruno and he advised me to wash the brush with just water, let it dry for 5 days, use and then repeat the cycle two or three times.

We'll see how this works out but anyone having identical issues might want to try this too.

2 286
 08-22-2014, 07:17 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Good luck, great to hear Bruno responded to you with some steps to work it out. I've had that happen as well but like Grantmm said, it just stopped after a few lathers. But I shave with the same brush every few days given its in a rotation.

Hope its just a temporary hiccup along the road or maybe your just overly observant Biggrin

35 1,329
 08-22-2014, 08:30 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Trying combing the knot too...

99 18,011
 08-24-2014, 08:23 AM
User Info
Yes i think combing the knot is a solution to get rid the bristles that are ready to "escape" but if there is a problem with the glue in the base knot ?
As i have see in videos in Semogue they use a lot but it's fluid.
Even ferrari's have problem so why not a knot ?
If the shedding continues then the seller will give the solution.
Some companies treat the customer with respect as Vie-Long,if your brush getting worse contact with the seller to replace it.

0 353
 08-29-2014, 01:56 PM
User Info
I started to see this with my cheapo Shea Moisture badger. I read somewhere (I dunno... Probably here) that loading with a circular motion can cause problems because you twist the hairs or bristles. That would seem to make some sense, but loading from a round tin seems a lot easier if your motion is circular.

0 1,053
 08-31-2014, 03:09 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
The knot seems to have stabilized following Bruno's recommendation. I will probably dedicate the brush to bowl lathering at this point, which means it only sees use on Saturdays and Mondays.

2 286