08-12-2014, 04:08 AM
User Info
Hello, I'm John. I'm new to this place, but no so new to DE shaving. With the exception of using a Sensor from time to time, it's the only way I've ever shaved and I'm 40 so it's been awhile. Anyway let me get on with my question. Any of you out there who have an Above the Tie set, have any noticed how picky this razor is when it comes to blades? I mean I understand everyone is different and some blades are better suited for certain razors, but I've never come across one that's been so finicky. Blades that I used to love, really don't do so well in the ATT. Doesn't matter which plate that's used. I purchased this set about 6 weeks ago and have slowly accumulated all the plates. Well not that slow. The M plates are too mild. Actually mild isn't the word. You have less of chance of screwing up, but once you get the correct angle, I wouldn't necessarily call it mild shaver. The H plates have a reputation of being aggressive. Well they're definitely that, but it's fairly smooth. You won't have to make 4 or 5 passes that's for sure. It's not like an R41 where you actually feel the blade across your face. I don't about you, but if I wanted that; I would be using a straight razor. The R plates are perfect for me. I prefer the R1, but the R2 actually gets closer. Anyway please let me know what blades you guys are using so I can test them out. Thanks. These are pics of my razor with a Polsilver blade. See the damn glue spots. I really really can't stand those.
[Image: hAl19pw.jpg][Image: JfZiRXK.jpg][Image: 5DUHryW.jpg]

0 45
 08-12-2014, 05:37 AM
User Info
I use Crystal and Feathers in my ATT. I can use Astra as well with no problems.

19 881
 08-12-2014, 05:46 AM
User Info
Welcome John to The Shave Nook. When I had my H plate ATT my blades of choice were Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Super Thin and of course Feathers. AS Platinum also work pretty good.

121 13,205
 08-12-2014, 05:47 AM
User Info
The ATT R2 is on of my favorite razors. I've tried a bunch of blades with it, but so far my favorite combo is with the Personna Lab Blues. Feathers are good too, Permasharps and Polsilvers work well with other razors for me but not so much with this one. And the Kai blades were just a bad experience. The holes for aligning the blades are just slightly off-size compared to the standard, and it made loading them a real hassle.

10 2,062
 08-12-2014, 06:22 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Feathers and Astra with the M1 plate are very good. The best is a King Cobra with Kai milds.

70 1,098
 08-12-2014, 06:33 AM
User Info
I knew it. I knew it couldn't be only me. I don't like bad mouthing Iridiums, but they flat out do not fly in this razor. The Polsilver blades I have I actually haven't used yet. They're not Iridiums. They come in a brown box. I never liked them anyway so I can't imagine liking them now. I'm going to order those Personnas Med Preps. They're good in every thing and they're not too expensive. Thanks.

(08-12-2014, 05:46 AM)slantman Wrote: Welcome John to The Shave Nook. When I had my H plate ATT my blades of choice were Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Super Thin and of course Feathers. AS Platinum also work pretty good.

Thank you. Slver Blues along with Bolzanos are actually my favorite so far. I've only tried the Feather in the M2 thanks to Barrylu. I ordered more of them. Where can I get Super Thins? I haven't seen those too often. I'm trying everything because I know this razor can deliver what I'm after. It's just the blade exposure is significant and also happens to expose the characteristics of the blade, whether it be good or bad.

0 45
 08-12-2014, 06:42 AM
User Info
(08-12-2014, 06:33 AM)JBMAN1974 Wrote: I knew it. I knew it couldn't be only me. I don't like bad mouthing Iridiums, but they flat out do not fly in this razor. The Polsilver blades I have I actually haven't used yet. They're not Iridiums. They come in a brown box. I never liked them anyway so I can't imagine liking them now. I'm going to order those Personnas Med Preps. They're good in every thing and they're not too expensive. Thanks.

I use the original Iridiums in the R2 and H2 and they work terrific.

9 1,208
 08-12-2014, 06:45 AM
User Info
(08-12-2014, 06:22 AM)Barrylu Wrote: Feathers and Astra with the M1 plate are very good. The best is a King Cobra with Kai milds.

Hello again. Thank you. I'm working on that Cobra. Okay I'm working on it. . Kinda tough to find though.

(08-12-2014, 06:42 AM)CyanideMetal Wrote:
(08-12-2014, 06:33 AM)JBMAN1974 Wrote: I knew it. I knew it couldn't be only me. I don't like bad mouthing Iridiums, but they flat out do not fly in this razor. The Polsilver blades I have I actually haven't used yet. They're not Iridiums. They come in a brown box. I never liked them anyway so I can't imagine liking them now. I'm going to order those Personnas Med Preps. They're good in every thing and they're not too expensive. Thanks.

I use the original Iridiums in the R2 and H2 and they work terrific.

The ones in the blue pack right? I have to try those also but they look identical to Polsilver Iridiums. Are the different?

0 45
 08-12-2014, 07:20 AM
User Info

(08-12-2014, 05:46 AM)slantman Wrote: Welcome John to The Shave Nook. When I had my H plate ATT my blades of choice were Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Super Thin and of course Feathers. AS Platinum also work pretty good.

Thank you. Slver Blues along with Bolzanos are actually my favorite so far. I've only tried the Feather in the M2 thanks to Barrylu. I ordered more of them. Where can I get Super Thins? I haven't seen those too often. I'm trying everything because I know this razor can deliver what I'm after. It's just the blade exposure is significant and also happens to expose the characteristics of the blade, whether it be good or bad.

Gillette Super Thins can be bought at Bullgoose Shaving or on eBay. The Personna blues or medical/hospital blades are made in the USA and are excellent as well.

121 13,205
 08-12-2014, 08:06 AM
User Info
Every face is different. I use both the R1 and H1.

The best blade I have found for me is the Gillette Silver Blue.

Other blades that work well are in no particular order KAI (hard to load but a very good shave), PermaSharp, and Personna Reds or Crystals.

The Polsilver Super Iridium is okay for me but not in the same league as the others with the ATT heads. Have not tried a feather yet.

Trying an extensive blade sample pack from your favorite retailer would be a great way to find out what works best for you.

6 358
 08-12-2014, 01:24 PM
User Info
(08-12-2014, 08:06 AM)Aimless1 Wrote: Every face is different. I use both the R1 and H1.

The best blade I have found for me is the Gillette Silver Blue.

Other blades that work well are in no particular order KAI (hard to load but a very good shave), PermaSharp, and Personna Reds or Crystals.

The Polsilver Super Iridium is okay for me but not in the same league as the others with the ATT heads. Have not tried a feather yet.

Trying an extensive blade sample pack from your favorite retailer would be a great way to find out what works best for you.

Oh I agree that everyone is different but that also has to do with the variety of razors out there and the different techniques people have . I think if everyone used the same exact razor, you wouldn't be seeing such a drastic discrepancy. Try loading a Yellow Sharp Edge in the M2 or M1. I don't care how superlative your technique is, it will scrape, not shave your face. I've noticed that no matter who I ask, Feathers come up every time. I'll be trying those next week. I was only able to try the Feather in the M2 and I can't give it a fair assessment with that plate. I was never of fan of Feather blades but that probably had to do with the razor I was using. When I used it in the M plates, I had a much better experience than I remembered. We'll see.

0 45
 08-12-2014, 01:35 PM
  • Gravy
  • England
User Info
Astra SP's & Polsilver SI's work very well for me in my R2 & H2.

0 12
 08-12-2014, 06:17 PM
User Info
When I started with an R2, the most comfortable blade was an Astra SP. The more I used the R2, other blades started shaving ok - Gillete Silver Blues, Personna Med Preps. Polsilver SIs are ok but not my first choice.

18 194
 08-12-2014, 07:57 PM
User Info
(08-12-2014, 01:35 PM)Gravy Wrote: Astra SP's & Polsilver SI's work very well for me in my R2 & H2.

Thank for info. I have both of those, but I'm not using them until next month. I am almost tempted to try the Astra now, but I really need to give each blade a week, unless it's a really harsh and I've experienced that with a few blades. I know there are some blades that smooth out after one shave, but I'm not sacrificing one bad shave, for two good ones.

0 45
 08-13-2014, 12:25 AM
User Info
I am a feather guy but I have been using astra super platinium with my ATT. I have an H1 plate and it seems to work great with astra.
I bought astra blades just to use with my ATT. I use feather with my muhle R41

[Image: IxSGPxb.jpg]

(08-12-2014, 07:57 PM)JBMAN1974 Wrote:
(08-12-2014, 01:35 PM)Gravy Wrote: Astra SP's & Polsilver SI's work very well for me in my R2 & H2.

Thank for info. I have both of those, but I'm not using them until next month. I am almost tempted to try the Astra now, but I really need to give each blade a week, unless it's a really harsh and I've experienced that with a few blades. I know there are some blades that smooth out after one shave, but I'm not sacrificing one bad shave, for two good ones.

61 3,072
 08-19-2014, 08:39 PM
User Info
See your not alone jbman,I have the same problem,I'm a Feathers guy & love them on the R1 plate but dislike them on the H1 plate.I'm going to try what cricket uses[astras] & see if that works for me on the H1!

20 441
 08-24-2014, 09:27 PM
User Info
I'm getting the H2 and M1 tomorrow with the Atlas and another cap. I'll have the whole set then. Well they're being delivered tomorrow. I'm starting to think the M2 is my favorite. I like the R1, but I think their open combs are better. I've used the H2 and it's not as scary as you might think. I've been using Rapira blades. I know a lot of people dislike them, but they work in these razors. I bought the Ikon DLC Open Comb and it's not even close. It is comfortable to use though.

0 45
 08-27-2014, 03:56 AM
User Info
I used the H2 yesterday and this morning. I got the Atlas handle also. I normally don't like short handles but it's so nice, I had to get it. It's not aggressive like the H1 at all. Well H1 isn't really aggressive, you just have to be careful with it. Maybe the lighter handle makes it milder. It's so smooth, and again I have to say, the Bolzanos work extremely well in these razors.

0 45
 08-27-2014, 09:43 AM
User Info
The blue pack Polsilver SIs don't have glue spots that close to the blade edge; the glue is around the center holes only.

I have never tried the Above the Tie razors, but I love Polsilver SIs in ALL my razors.

2 1,547
 08-27-2014, 01:38 PM
User Info
Its Gillette Silver Blues for me in my H-2.
I'll pop a Polsilver SI (blue/red/black pack)in now and again but I found the original Wizamet Iridium Polsilver in the black/brown pack wasn't a good match for me.

0 37