08-12-2014, 07:05 AM
User Info
I'm really interested in trying both of these soaps. Unfortunately, living in Canada means shipping can be a killer. I was wondering if anyone can help me make a decision about which soap to buy. By that I mean, can someone who has used both tell me which one they would buy if they could only buy one?

0 68
 08-12-2014, 01:01 PM
User Info
Sorry, I've only tried Soap Commander out of those choices so I can't really help you. But based on the positive reception of both I don't think you'll go wrong either way. I say just pick a scent that suits you and go for it Biggrin

10 2,062
 08-12-2014, 01:46 PM
User Info
(08-12-2014, 01:01 PM)taborcarn Wrote: Sorry, I've only tried Soap Commander out of those choices so I can't really help you. But based on the positive reception of both I don't think you'll go wrong either way. I say just pick a scent that suits you and go for it Biggrin

Thanks, I think you're right. Both sounds fantastic. I think at level of performance the artisan soaps are at these days the differences are so small it boils down to scent preference more than anything else. You're happy with Soap Commander? Can I ask which scent(s) you have?

0 68
 08-12-2014, 01:48 PM
User Info
I have Refreshment, the sweet tea scent. It performs very well and smells delicious!

10 2,062
 08-12-2014, 02:19 PM
User Info
I'm in the same boat as John in that I've only used Soap Commander. It is a top tier artisan soap without question. I have the Respect (lime/patchouli) and Passion (teakwood/cardomom) scents. I've also sampled almost all of his other scents including the sweet tea one that John has. They are are balanced nicely with a good intensity that lets you really enjoy them without irritating the skin. I have sensitive skin and must avoid some strongly fragranced soaps, but I've never had a single issue with anything from Soap Commander.

31 8,058
 08-12-2014, 02:21 PM
User Info
I have Soap Commander Vision and Courage. I also have Cold River original Fragrance #1. Both brands are excellent and you can't go wrong. I agree that you should just pick a scent and run with it. To my nose the soap commander scents were stronger but not to a point where you should worry about irritation. The lather on both were equal. Post shave feel they are pretty equal but Cold river had slightly better post shave feel.(Keep in mind I don't have the tallow version or select version.) They both lather fairly quickly but not as quick as MDC . Sorry if this did not help you in just choosing just one.

2 40
 08-12-2014, 04:19 PM
User Info
You guys have all helped. I'm leaning towards Soap Commander based in the variety of scents and the packaging.

0 68
 08-12-2014, 05:08 PM
User Info
I've got CRSW American Barbershop (Tallow). It's got a great scent, but for the life of me I can't get a decent shave out of it. I find the soap to have a very sweet spot when it comes to adding water, too much and it's a tad runny. Too little and it dissipates. I know others love it, but I find that other soaps give me better shaves.

I'd love to try other scents/products lines before I completely write it off though.

24 664
 08-12-2014, 05:29 PM
User Info
I have both and CRSW Classic/Select is my #1 performer. It pretty much cured my SAD, or at least tamed it.

4 355
 08-12-2014, 07:38 PM
User Info
(08-12-2014, 05:08 PM)Starkicker Wrote: I've got CRSW American Barbershop (Tallow). It's got a great scent, but for the life of me I can't get a decent shave out of it. I find the soap to have a very sweet spot when it comes to adding water, too much and it's a tad runny. Too little and it dissipates. I know others love it, but I find that other soaps give me better shaves.

I'd love to try other scents/products lines before I completely write it off though.

That sounds like how Mystic Water performs for me.

0 68
 08-12-2014, 09:06 PM
User Info
(08-12-2014, 07:38 PM)jay_gord Wrote:
(08-12-2014, 05:08 PM)Starkicker Wrote: I've got CRSW American Barbershop (Tallow). It's got a great scent, but for the life of me I can't get a decent shave out of it. I find the soap to have a very sweet spot when it comes to adding water, too much and it's a tad runny. Too little and it dissipates. I know others love it, but I find that other soaps give me better shaves.

Much like Mystic Waters (and Stirling), it has no coconut oil, so lathering is tricky. Coconut oil is like "easy mode" for soap lathering, so most soaps which don't make use of it are going to require a bit more finesse. That said, it's in a totally different tier than MW for me in that it actually DOES lather, stay hydrated and perform excellently. Start with a damp brush, load for 15-20 seconds and build it slowly, adding in a splash here and there. Takes a minute or so to flesh out properly.

CRSW's other lines are significantly easier to lather, with the Original line being stupid easy to work into the right proportions. Select is a little tougher, but the Classic is the toughest of all. I compare it in difficulty to Stirling there.

16 250
 08-13-2014, 10:34 AM
User Info
(08-12-2014, 09:06 PM)explodyii Wrote:
(08-12-2014, 07:38 PM)jay_gord Wrote:

Much like Mystic Waters (and Stirling), it has no coconut oil, so lathering is tricky. Coconut oil is like "easy mode" for soap lathering, so most soaps which don't make use of it are going to require a bit more finesse. That said, it's in a totally different tier than MW for me in that it actually DOES lather, stay hydrated and perform excellently. Start with a damp brush, load for 15-20 seconds and build it slowly, adding in a splash here and there. Takes a minute or so to flesh out properly.

CRSW's other lines are significantly easier to lather, with the Original line being stupid easy to work into the right proportions. Select is a little tougher, but the Classic is the toughest of all. I compare it in difficulty to Stirling there.

I have the Classic (Tallow) and it builds lather no problem; the only thing i've found better at building lather is Tiki. The problem I have is while lathering, I can get 2 passes, but by the 2nd pass, the lather peters out. 3rd pass is nothing but dry airy bubbles. I've loaded for a full minute; too much water and it's a runny mess. Too little water and the lather dissipates.

I've used Stirling in the past and had no problems lathering with it. I've used MW and no issues there either. I have a water softener, so it's not a water problem either. Problem is solely me which I realize, but all said and done I don't find it as slick as say Stirling, Tiki, or B&M.

24 664
 08-14-2014, 10:19 AM
User Info
I'm keen to give Soap Commander a try but up to now they don't offer International shipping Sad
Cold River offers International shipping and is a top soap in my rotation Thumbup

0 875
 08-14-2014, 05:52 PM
User Info
(08-14-2014, 10:19 AM)782sirbrian Wrote: I'm keen to give Soap Commander a try but up to now they don't offer International shipping Sad
Cold River offers International shipping and is a top soap in my rotation Thumbup

I would imagine that if you contact Darren Seibert (The Commander) that he could work something out for you.

31 8,058
 08-15-2014, 05:00 AM
User Info
(08-14-2014, 05:52 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(08-14-2014, 10:19 AM)782sirbrian Wrote: I'm keen to give Soap Commander a try but up to now they don't offer International shipping Sad

I would imagine that if you contact Darren Seibert (The Commander) that he could work something out for you.

Darren mailed me back and is sorting a price for shipping a couple of soaps to the UK Smile

0 875
 08-15-2014, 05:02 AM
User Info
(08-15-2014, 05:00 AM)782sirbrian Wrote:
(08-14-2014, 05:52 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:

Darren mailed me back and is sorting a price for shipping a couple of soaps to the UK Smile

Glad to hear it. I hope you enjoy them. Which scents did you decide on?

31 8,058
 08-15-2014, 05:51 AM
User Info
(08-15-2014, 05:02 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(08-15-2014, 05:00 AM)782sirbrian Wrote:
(08-14-2014, 05:52 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I would imagine that if you contact Darren Seibert (The Commander) that he could work something out for you.

Glad to hear it. I hope you enjoy them. Which scents did you decide on?

I asked for the Confidence and the Passion. Hopefully will finalise the order when Darren gets back to me Smile

0 875
 08-15-2014, 10:22 AM
User Info
Cold river:-)

61 3,072