08-12-2014, 09:06 AM
User Info
I recently made a soap trade and the gentleman tossed these two razors in the box he mailed to me. I know they are Gem razors. The one on the left has an ornate handle and is stamped Ever-Ready under the blade cover. The one on the right is a TTO with a pretty neat spring-loaded blade cover. It is stamped Gem Micromatic under the blade cover. They are both pretty hefty in weight. They appear to be in very good condition. I reckon they are old due to the style?

They also look like the could be ferocious. I set my Fatboys on 3 with an occasional venture to 4. I have a Red Tip that I love but use very gingerly. These things look like they could eat you alive, so to speak.

I do not have plans to use them - they have to be too aggressive for me. There has to be folks in shave-land that love these razors. I don't know what for what they are selling. I am going to poke around on the Inet. Also, the pictures are straight out of the camera no editing, Photoshop, etc.

Thanks in advance for any info you may be able to share.

Ed

[Image: wpon0wb.jpg]
[Image: ayDURVV.jpg]
[Image: qhoaRXB.jpg][Image: kBDMtJ8.jpg]

22 764
 08-12-2014, 10:14 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Ed, first of all, both of those razors take single edge (SE) blades, not DEs. The Micromatic I find absolutely awful and a true face eater. In fairness, though, there are some who like them very much.

The other, the Ever-Ready looks like a 1914. I own one and get a very nice shave from it. It may be a bit more aggressive than you would like but I do not find it overly so, certainly nowhere near the aggressiveness of the GEM Micromatic.

Shaving with a single edge blade is a different experience than using a double edge blade. The SE is rigid and basically has no give, unlike a DE. I happen to like both DE and SE shaves, though I admit to using my DE razors more. Others definitely prefer using one or the other type almost exclusively.

Also, as far as I know, both of those razors were produced in the United States.

2 11,211
 08-12-2014, 11:14 AM
User Info
GEM Open Comb Micromatic (OCMM) is the TTO.

The other razor is the EverReady 1924, aka the shovel head.

Both are aggressive razors. I like the OCMM but have yet to find a '24 that I like.

31 8,058
 08-12-2014, 03:20 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(08-12-2014, 11:14 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: GEM Open Comb Micromatic (OCMM) is the TTO.

Both are aggressive razors. I like the OCMM but have yet to find a '24 that I like.

Oops, sorry for screwing up the date. Sad

2 11,211
 08-12-2014, 04:25 PM
User Info
No worries Freddy. The '14 always says "Lift Here" on the cap on both sides. The '24 has the backwards flip cap compared to all the other flip top razors.

31 8,058
 08-12-2014, 05:04 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Thanks, Brian. I wasn't paying close enough attention to the cap in the photo and mine is definitely a '14 with the "Lift Here."

2 11,211
 08-12-2014, 06:03 PM
User Info
(08-12-2014, 11:14 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: GEM Open Comb Micromatic (OCMM) is the TTO.

Odd how YMMV shows up. I love my 24. I'm still partial to my 14 though. Even with the Streamline I tend to reach for the 14.

6 1,224
 08-12-2014, 09:21 PM
User Info
I absolutely love both of those razors. But yes, they are quite aggressive. I don't know if there are any more aggressive DE razors to be found.

LG, give them a try. A SE razor doesn't act the same as a DE razor. You might like them, then again they might eat you up. Handle them gently in the shave.

They aren't terribly expensive, but it's been so long since I've bought any razors I couldn't tell you what they're worth today.

32 6,470
 08-13-2014, 03:23 AM
User Info
Thanks for all of the responses. I reckon I should give the Ever-Ready a try. Also, I am not looking to sell them since they did not really cost me anything. If I decide to move them I will ask for trade request for some soap that someone may want to move or PIF them. I am set on my stable of vintage Gillettes and am not interested in obtaining any further razors.

I like the name "shovel head". It certainly describes this razors attributes!!!!

Ed

22 764