08-12-2014, 03:41 PM
User Info
A while back Freddy sent us a copy of Pennant, a magazine from The Pen Collectors of America, Inc.

My wife , ML, saw an ad or article with an ink well and decided she wanted one.

The hunt was on! ML quickly dismissed contemporary ones (except the two TWSBI models). She wanted something classy and pretty.

We started looking in antique stores on our travels. There are a lot of beautiful ink wells out there. Also many incorporated as part of a desk set.

ML finally saw something she liked. A crystal perfume bottle. Pink with a rose top and cut rose on the side.

[Image: YBqH1DA.jpg]

Elegant and classy. The ground stopper fit snugly and there were no chips nor flaws. Most importantly ALL of our pens fit through the opening.

She "inked it up" with Diamine Turquoise.
[Image: tD55vjQ.jpg]
It looks even better with the ink in it.

So a tip of the hat to Freddy for adding another facet to this already enjoyable hobby.

For now ML is content with only one ink well.

Phil

7 363
 08-12-2014, 04:16 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(08-12-2014, 03:41 PM)PhilNH5 Wrote: A while back Freddy sent us a copy of Pennant, a magazine from The Pen Collectors of America, Inc.

My wife , ML, saw an ad or article with an ink well and decided she wanted one.

The hunt was on! ML quickly dismissed contemporary ones (except the two TWSBI models). She wanted something classy and pretty.

We started looking in antique stores on our travels. There are a lot of beautiful ink wells out there. Also many incorporated as part of a desk set.

ML finally saw something she liked. A crystal perfume bottle. Pink with a rose top and cut rose on the side.

[Image: YBqH1DA.jpg]

Elegant and classy. The ground stopper fit snugly and there were no chips nor flaws. Most importantly ALL of our pens fit through the opening.

She "inked it up" with Diamine Turquoise.
[Image: tD55vjQ.jpg]
It looks even better with the ink in it.

So a tip of the hat to Freddy for adding another facet to this already enjoyable hobby.

For now ML is content with only one ink well.

Phil

And those, my friend, are the operative words. 24

The bottle looks incredible with the blue ink in it, by the way.

2 11,211
 08-19-2014, 10:10 AM
User Info
Ooooo excellent idea!

1 346
 08-25-2014, 04:46 PM
User Info
(08-19-2014, 10:10 AM)MsBlackwolf Wrote: Ooooo excellent idea!

Yes, yes it was. Thanks.

ML's idea. In fact I just recently inked a pen with that Diamine turquoise ink. But I used the original manufacturer's bottle. I didn't want to use the perfume bottle before ML had a chance.

Phil

7 363
 08-26-2014, 12:31 PM
User Info
You have a lot of self control, Phil. I've been watching for a small decorative bottle to use as an inkwell. Nothing so far, but there are a few more big flea markets before Winter arrives! I found some great shave bowls from rummage/flea markets and the like. I've also been fortunate enough to find a few razors too.

1 346
 09-27-2014, 01:45 PM
User Info
Well we were out and about today. Spent the morning at the Deerfield Fair - the larges agricultural fair in NH.

Then we went to Rte 4 in Northwood, NH also known as "Antique Ally".
We saw a lot of antique ink wells. Most designed for quills and dip pens. We saw a few designed for fountain pens but nothing caught ML's eye.

Then she saw this perfume bottle with a heart shaped stopper.

[Image: pjrRSa5.jpg]

She purchased it and once home decided a heart shaped stopper needed red ink. But as you all know she only has blue inksSmile

So she filled the bottle with MY Pilot iroshizuku tsutsuji (azalea)

It does look nice

[Image: u2p1ODk.jpg]

Phil

7 363
 09-27-2014, 05:55 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
(09-27-2014, 01:45 PM)PhilNH5 Wrote: Well we were out and about today. Spent the morning at the Deerfield Fair - the larges agricultural fair in NH.

Then we went to Rte 4 in Northwood, NH also known as "Antique Ally".
We saw a lot of antique ink wells. Most designed for quills and dip pens. We saw a few designed for fountain pens but nothing caught ML's eye.

Then she saw this perfume bottle with a heart shaped stopper.

[Image: pjrRSa5.jpg]

She purchased it and once home decided a heart shaped stopper needed red ink. But as you all know she only has blue inks

So she filled the bottle with MY Pilot iroshizuku tsutsuji (azalea)

It does look nice

[Image: u2p1ODk.jpg]

Phil
Congrats on the great find! That bottle works perfect for the shade of ink you have in it. Smile

1 608
 09-27-2014, 10:20 PM
User Info
 09-28-2014, 02:28 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
That looks great, Phil. It looks like Mary Lou will have to discover inks other than blue. Winky

2 11,211
 09-28-2014, 04:18 PM
User Info
(09-28-2014, 02:28 PM)freddy Wrote: That looks great, Phil. It looks like Mary Lou will have to discover inks other than blue. Winky

You mean there are inks other than purple?! Shocked

1 346
 09-28-2014, 11:48 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(09-28-2014, 04:18 PM)MsBlackwolf Wrote:
(09-28-2014, 02:28 PM)freddy Wrote: That looks great, Phil. It looks like Mary Lou will have to discover inks other than blue. Winky

Surprise!!! Biggrin

2 11,211
 10-01-2014, 03:04 PM
User Info
(09-28-2014, 04:18 PM)MsBlackwolf Wrote:

Pam,
That cracked both ML and I up.

Phil

7 363
 10-04-2014, 09:03 PM
User Info
I can't believe I have missed this thread!
The ink holders look fantastic with the ink, Phil! Smile

83 21,077
 10-15-2014, 05:11 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
o.k. dummy question. Are ink wells a functional necessity or another outlet for beauty? I want a cut glass ship's decanter, but everytime I save enough buy more Lagavulin instead.
Should inks be 'decanted' for use or are my two bottles of Waterman ( that I can never quite empty loading directly) enough?

2 3,171
 10-17-2014, 12:06 PM
User Info
Kav,
No not needed. In fact I would hazard a guess that the bottle the ink came in is probably the best container for storage.

This two re-purposed perfume bottles are purely for aesthetics.

To those who visit this forum the red ink in the heart bottle shows how the bottle is decorative. My wife only uses blue inks. So while she likes to look at the perfume/ink bottles she will never use the one with red ink.

I on the other hand have used them both. I like that I can see into these easily.

Phil

7 363