08-12-2014, 06:01 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I have been rather restrained of late, but I have a real weakness for Ikon razors so I ran out to get the DLC-coated slant and New Deluxe OC. I now have each of the slant and Deluxe OC in the DLC-coated and non-coated versions. To assess their performances I have shaved with each about 5 times. I purposefully loaded the same less-than-stellar blade in each, the Personna Platinum Chrome (the ones that come 5 or 10 in a slide-out dispenser). This is just a B-grade blade.

Soaps varied, but all good stuff. Most important was a consistently thorough face prep. Surprisingly, the blade seemed to perform better than usual.

However, most important was that there was no significant difference in performance between the DLC-coated razor and its uncoated counterpart. The DLC-coated razor may diminish somewhat the slight metal-on-skin feel. However that is really not much of an issue to me. If you already have the uncoated stainless versions, and if you are purely a performance jockey and do not need to sip at the trough of the latest Kool-aid, you do not need to run out and by the DLC versions. However, if you are RAD'd to the core, you won't be sorry if you added the DLC versions to your rotation.

1 795
 08-13-2014, 07:33 AM
User Info
I bought the DLC coated razors. Not because I thought it would be different, but because that was what was on the Ikon website. The only thing I can compare them to is a Murker 34C. I like the shave of the Ikon much better.

0 48
 08-13-2014, 09:03 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(08-13-2014, 07:33 AM)Cajunboy2k Wrote: I bought the DLC coated razors. Not because I thought it would be different, but because that was what was on the Ikon website. The only thing I can compare them to is a Murker 34C. I like the shave of the Ikon much better.

I agree, the 34C is a good razor but I prefer the Ikons by a wide margin. Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy the DLC Ikon whichever it is.

1 795