05-20-2012, 04:09 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
So I came across a rather dirty 67 slim,I was at work so im afraid I dont have a before picture, but trust me it was mighty scummy, in fact it looked as if it had all kinds of problems, but i paid 10 bucks.

I work at a dealership here in the parts department, and while handing one of the techs a can of break clean it occured to me to give it a shot...

Well to my surprise it not only worked, but did so very fast in fact a quick shot of the can and this thing turned out to be a beauty, minor surface scratches on doors but not plating issues or major dings, ill add some black to the numbers and it will be a great addition to the den for sure

But a note to anyone who wishes to try this,... I have only dont this the once, on my nickel plated slim not sure how others would react, and break clean will flush out any mineral oil you may have in a tto or adjustable razor so be sure to add more, and be sure to do it in a well vented area as the fumes are not good for you,.. but since break clean evaporates away on its own i think it's great for cleaning myself

as always ymmv

3 748
 05-20-2012, 07:45 PM
User Info
The only possible place it might be advisable to keep it off of are the numbers on the ring. The rest of it is metal, so fire away.

Good idea. I might try that inside the TTO mechanism of a balky OCMM I have. It can't hurt it.

32 6,309
 05-20-2012, 08:13 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Interesting method, James but I can see the benefits. Not sure I'd try it on a gold razor but your Slim looks good!

35 2,703
 05-20-2012, 08:28 PM
User Info
(05-20-2012, 08:13 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Interesting method, James but I can see the benefits. Not sure I'd try it on a gold razor but your Slim looks good!

Never use anything but soap and water on gold. I learned the hard way a couple of years back.

9 451
 05-20-2012, 09:12 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
gold being so soft i wouldnt try it myself,though i do have a user grade tech with some plate loss i guessi could shoot at, never thought about it as a tech is eay enough to clean, tto, and adjustables can be tough if a soak doesnt get it all on the inside

3 748
 05-21-2012, 03:52 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
"Necessity is the mother of invention!"

Congratulations on uncovering a fine looking razor!

91 17,846
 05-21-2012, 07:18 AM
User Info
Good discovery, James. The razor looks great!

75 20,883
 05-21-2012, 09:01 AM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
I was surprised myself, there was a tiny woohoo moment involved after it came out so shiny lol, im going to paint the numbers black on this one and leave it as it is, to nice to replate, but ill have to wait a bit to give it a whirl as i have a senator that is getting some attention at the moment

3 748
 05-21-2012, 09:21 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Break Clean will eat away paint (as you have found out) and it will turn black plastic a dull gray/white color if left on long enough.

I soak gold razors in a jewelers liquid solution that my wife uses on her gold jewelry.

173 23,531
 05-21-2012, 09:56 AM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Actually, the paint was already gone, i could see that thru the gundge on the razor thats why i didnt mind taking a stab at it,.. and i have very much over the years working in auto field watchs break clean flat out melt certain plastics lol, all metal here or stay away for sure

Is Jewelers liquid easy enough to find ?

3 748
 05-21-2012, 10:44 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I believe my wife buys hers in the jewelry section at either Wal Mart or Target.

173 23,531
 05-21-2012, 02:16 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
ill have t give that a try on my gold plated tech

3 748