08-13-2014, 04:51 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Hi Gents,

This is a question I've had for some time now. I know engraving fades away with regular use, but do you know of any way to preserve it? I've been told transparent nail varnish could be a solution, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Also, is repainting the engraving something that could be achieved at home? If so, how?

Thanks.

26 4,896
 08-13-2014, 04:53 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
Good question, I have wondered that to. I hope you get an answer.

28 1,620
 08-13-2014, 05:55 AM
User Info
(08-13-2014, 04:51 AM)TheMonk Wrote: Hi Gents,

This is a question I've had for some time now. I know engraving fades away with regular use, but do you know of any way to preserve it? I've been told transparent nail varnish could be a solution, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Also, is repainting the engraving something that could be achieved at home? If so, how?

Thanks.

David, I have had great success using clear nail varnish. Just make sure before you apply (needs to be a very thin coat) not heavy.

Wipe the area clean with surgical spirit "Grease" or another way re (Re-paint) I have used an artists blanking paste to mask the area that does not need painting using a very fine 0.003 brush. Once dry just rub the masking paste away.

Hope this helps.

Charles U.K

0 2,428
 08-13-2014, 07:09 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Yes, transparent nail varnish is a solution. I've seen it most commonly employed to preserve the printed logos (such as Rooney and Kent).

99 18,011
 08-13-2014, 07:28 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(08-13-2014, 05:55 AM)whatmorebrushs Wrote:

Thanks.

David, I have had great success using clear nail varnish. Just make sure before you apply (needs to be a very thin coat) not heavy.

Wipe the area clean with surgical spirit "Grease" or another way re (Re-paint) I have used an artists blanking paste to mask the area that does not need painting using a very fine 0.003 brush. Once dry just rub the masking paste away.

Hope this helps.

Charles U.K

It absolutely helps, Charles, but could you run it by me in a more detailed manner? Just do that I don't mess up a good brush. Biggrin

26 4,896
 08-13-2014, 07:31 AM
User Info
(08-13-2014, 05:55 AM)whatmorebrushs Wrote:

Thanks.

Hope this helps.

Charles U.K

Exactly right. I find it best to practice on a piece of acrylic right beforehand to both warm-up and be sure my technique is spot-on in order minimize the risk of ruining a valuable brush.

Not to jump straight in a project like this is a lesson I somehow have to keep reminding myself of Blush

2 586