08-13-2014, 09:29 AM
User Info
First off I would like to say that I purchased this razor from Los
Angeles Shaving Soap Company at full price and in no way connected with this company.

I understand that all new production razors will have improved grip handles and each razor will be numbered

I received the new BBS-1 stainless steel razor and all that you see in the picture for one price which also included Priority Mail fully insured. I had to sign for the box from my mail lady who warned me that the box had a rattle in it but accordingly they didn't think anything was broken. My heart stopped for a full five seconds. Sure enough when I opened the box everything was intact. The only think moving around was the small samples of shave soap.
Thank goodnessBiggrin
Now to the most important part the 3 pass shave. I used everything that was included in the order, BBS-1 razor, Feather blade, vegan synthetic brush and the woody lavender shave soap (vegan).
Some where concerned as to the grip on the handle which presented me with absolutely no problem. However, the handle is only 3.25" long and I usually prefer a handle length of 90-100 mm. The total weigh is a nice 3.8 oz and feels very solid. The blade loading is very simple and the alignment is perfect. My first pass felt like there is no blade in the razor that how efficient it cuts. But this is not a mild razor which makes it even better as you can't tell the difference. The second and third pass were just as smooth and efficient.
My very early one time use conclusion I love this razor. I think this razor and all that is included in the price is well worth it and congratulations to John at LASSC for making it available.

[Image: 0VKfCbQ.jpg]

121 13,126
 08-13-2014, 09:40 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
Great Review, enjoy the razor!

10 963
 08-13-2014, 09:59 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Thanks for the review, Jerry. Nice to know about that handle.

2 11,211
 08-13-2014, 04:35 PM
User Info
And let me not forget this razor is 100% machined.

121 13,126
 08-14-2014, 04:51 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review Jerry. I've been following your posts on this razor and I'm hoping LASS is able to start stocking them. I'm also glad to hear it is not too mild.

7 83
 08-14-2014, 06:04 PM
User Info
That's a beautiful razor, I'm glad it shaves nicely as well. Congrats on getting an early model!

3 202
 08-15-2014, 03:43 AM
User Info
(08-14-2014, 04:51 PM)Expresso Shaver Wrote: Thanks for the review Jerry. I've been following your posts on this razor and I'm hoping LASS is able to start stocking them. I'm also glad to hear it is not too mild.

Yes not too mild at all but if its aggressive I can't tell that is how smooth it shaves. It also helps to use a Feather blade.

121 13,126
 08-16-2014, 06:33 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I've had account here for a little while, but mostly lurked. I'm pretty active on another shaving forum, and snagged one of these, too. I specifically came here to see if I could find another of the lucky purchasers, and it seems I have! Such an incredibly well made razor, and it's funny, I took the exact same approach you did in my first shave.

I don't know the rules or culture on this forum about posting links to other forums, so I won't, but I did a pretty huge, in-depth review there. A little Google searching may locate it; my username is the same. Glad to see my conclusions weren't too clouded by the money I spent! :-D

Congrats on the new razor!

22 828
 08-17-2014, 04:32 AM
User Info
Welcome Craig to the forum. Yes I did read your full review of the BBS-1 and you certainly covered everything. It's best not to link anything to another shaving forum as it could create problems.
I am glad you like the razorSmile

121 13,126
 08-17-2014, 05:02 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Good write up Jerry. LASS Bespoke and Fougere have been excellent performers for me, and it appears their razor line is a clear winner from the 2 reviews I've come across

19 742
 08-17-2014, 05:38 AM
User Info
LA Shaving Soaps are high quality and I'm sure the razor is of the same standards. The razors are currently sold out Cool

23 475
 08-17-2014, 06:09 AM
  • JrReyes
  • Cartridge Converter
  • Ft. Worth, TX
User Info
Thanks for the review. I wonder if the next batch will also include all of those extras that you mentioned, or if that was just a special for the first run. Looks like I have to add another razor to the wish list.

19 278
 08-17-2014, 01:42 PM
User Info
I was very interested to read your review; thanks for posting it. Can you compare the BBS-1 to another razor to give me some context? Is it more like a Feather AS-D2 (it sorta looks like one!) or a Muhle R-41 or a FaTip or NEW or ...

0 76
 08-17-2014, 02:33 PM
User Info
(08-17-2014, 01:42 PM)DrAwkward Wrote: I was very interested to read your review; thanks for posting it. Can you compare the BBS-1 to another razor to give me some context? Is it more like a Feather AS-D2 (it sorta looks like one!) or a Muhle R-41 or a FaTip or NEW or ...
Very similar shave to the iKon Standard bar that is fairly aggressive but smooth as silk. Both razors are high quality. What impresses me about the BBS-1 stainless is that although the razor is fully machined I found no machine marks like some other stainless steel razors I have owned.

121 13,126
 08-17-2014, 03:25 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
It would be difficult for me to pinpoint what it is similar to. I used an iKon SB some time ago, but traded it away. I don't really recall how it shaved, but I didn't care too much for it, which is why it left my den. That is most definitely NOT the case with the BBS-1. I don't think it shaves anything like the R41. It can get as close as the R41, but the characteristics of the shaves are nothing alike. For me, the steep angle technique on the R41 is required for a close, irritation-free shave. If my angle gets too shallow, I get nicks, irritation, and not nearly so close. With the BBS-1, it is the opposite. I keep the angle is as shallow as possible. If it gets too steep, the blade leaves my skin and does nothing. I also don't think the range of shaving angles is quite as high on the BBS-1, whereas because of the R41's massive blade exposure, you can pretty much place the head on your face any which way, and it'll cut something.

The SB's that I have/use regularly are the Weber PH, ATT H1, Gillette Tech, Mühle R89 and Parker 71R. It is nothing like any of those.

22 828
 08-21-2014, 09:23 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
After a few more days of using these BBS-1 razors any additional comments?...Would you buy it again?...Overall how "great' is it?

6 2,028
 08-21-2014, 09:37 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I'm going to sound like a shill for LASSC (I assure you, I am not) but after several more days, and several more shaves, I am thoroughly convinced this is the best razor I have ever used. I was previously a 2011 Mühle R41 devoteé, but I have been converted. My R41s aren't going anywhere, but the BBS-1 is my baseline razor now. It is really phenomenal.

Additionally, while I do not speak for John at LASSC, I believe he is re-working the handle to be grippier, based on customer feedback. Once that issue is addressed, it'll be 10's across the board from me. (Well, maybe not from me, because I'm not going to buy another handle...) :lol: However, if you are on the fence, I would heartily recommend sending john at lashavingsoap dot com and email indicating that you're interested. I know he's trying to gauge the market to see how many he needs to make for his next run, so while your email is non-committal, I think it'll get you a place in line. You won't regret the purchase.

22 828
 08-21-2014, 02:55 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Personally most of us who would want this razor probably have enough brushes and soap and would be happier with a head only option or just the razor at a lessor price I would think....let,s see what happens down the road.

6 2,028
 08-21-2014, 03:33 PM
User Info
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the LA shaving razor.

It looks very similar to the Gillette Tech head, but apparently it is not as mild. Very nice!

69 2,186
 08-21-2014, 03:35 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Superficially, it has a lot in common with a tech. However, besides looks, it is not similar. To me, it feels like a slightly smoother and more refined ATT H1. (Which is also a spectacular razor.)

22 828