08-13-2014, 10:22 AM
User Info
On a whim, I picked up a tub of Hardy Shave Soap, Anise and Bergamot. I hadn't read anything about Hardy soaps before, but it looked legit. This is a Kokum butter soap, non-tallow, shea butter, no synthetic ingredients. It was sorta steep at $16.00 for a puck.

But it's totally worth it. First, the scent is fantastic. I'm a fan of Stirling's Anise and Black Ice soaps (Stirling are my favorite soaps overall), so I like the anise scent. But it's kicked up a notch here with the bergamot, adding a perfumy, citrusy element, making it much more complex and less one-note. It's just the right strength of scent, notching in a touch lighter the strength of Stirling's anise (which has a very strong scent), but still strong enough to be enjoyed. This is one of the best smelling soaps I've ever used.

It lathered up nicely. It's a thirsty soap, taking a good few additions of water, but it blossoms into a nice thick later eventually. It wasn't the easiest, fastest lather, but none of my favorite soaps are. I had a great shave with my triangle Tech with a Personna blue blade. I'd put the slickness just below my favorite Stirling soaps, but still good, and my skin felt great post-shave. I didn't bother with any aftershave and my face feels great.

So if you're looking for something different and under the radar, check it out!

[Image: y2wQ9PE.jpg]

0 16
 08-13-2014, 12:33 PM
User Info
Can you please post the ingredients list?

2 1,548
 08-13-2014, 01:26 PM
User Info
On the site, it lists:

Kokum Butter - This butter is derived from the fruit of the Kokum tree, which is related to mangosteen. In addition to the skin protecting qualities, it contributes to the rich lather of the soap.

Stearic Acid - This is a naturally occurring fatty acid. Beef tallow, often used in shave soaps, is chock full of stearic acid, which is another contributor to great lather. However, the stearic acid I use is vegetable derived.

Distilled Water - Distilled water has all of its impurities removed and is used in the lye solution. Minerals that are often left in spring water can inhibit a good lather, so distilled water is preferred in shave soap making.

Coconut Oil - Coconut oil is incredibly moisturizing and great for the skin. When saponified into soap, it is a great cleansing agent.

Castor Oil - This oil is a humectant, meaning it draws moisture to the skin. It also helps balance out the thick and creamy lathering of kokum butter and stearic acid so it is not too thick and cloying.

Shea Butter - A popular butter in many cosmetics, shea butter is a fantastic moisturizer, delivering a plethora of vitamins to the skin. The shea butter I use is unrefined, so it retains all it's natural benefits.

Potassium Hydroxide and Sodium Hydroxide - These are the two types of lye used in soap making. Very caustic when mixed with water, however the chemical reaction (saponification) that happens when it makes contact with fatty acids completely neutralizes the caustic properties. Adding heat and cooking the soap continues the process to ensure a safe product.

Essential Oils - Pure essential oils are hand blended by me.

When I make my shave soap, I use a technique called "superfatting". This means that there there are more oils and butter than can be saponified by the lye solution. This ensures two things: There will never be leftover lye in the soap, and there will always be unsaponified oils in the soap, and all their beneficial moisturizing properties to go with it.

0 16
 08-13-2014, 01:58 PM
User Info
I have a sample of the discontinued Sage soap and it's great. I wish the scent was a little stronger, but the performance is incredible.

24 664
 08-13-2014, 05:25 PM
User Info
I have the Anise and Bergamot soap and AS. I really like the scent. It's very Italian, reminds me of a bitter orange soda. I haven't quite been able to dial in the lather yet but it's only been a few shaves.

15 771
 08-13-2014, 06:42 PM
User Info
Thanks, capslock. Sounds like a nice soap.

2 1,548