08-13-2014, 02:02 PM
User Info
Here's my carne guisada recipe. It is basically a beef stew but without the veggies. It has a lot of the same ingredients as chili. Its easy to make and maybe eaten inside a toasted tortilla or over rice. Enjoy.

Introduction

By: DoctorShaveGood
Cuisine: Mexican
Servings: 3 batches

[Image: NeZSEcD.jpg]
Ingredients

2 pounds of beef shoulder, Tri-tip or sirloin.
1 Tablespoon of cumin
1/2 Tablespoon of Mexican oregano
1/2 teaspoon of your favorite chili powder(optional)
1 large onion finely diced
3 to 4 large cloves of finely diced garlic
1 small red bell pepper finely diced
1 heaping tablespoon of tomato paste
1 small can of tomato sauce
1/4 cup of flour
Vegetable oil
Ceramic coated dutch oven
Cilantro
Salsa
Flour tortilla
Salt & Pepper
2 cans of Chicken or beef broth

Method

Pre-heat oven to 300-325 degrees.
Cube meat to 3/4".
Heat your dutch oven on stove to very hot. Put in 1-2 tablespoon of oil. Place meat in and don't crowd...sizzling should be heard.This may take 2 to 3 batches.
DONT RUSH. DONT STIR AROUND. Let the meat get completely browned on one side then flip over to brown all sides.
Remove all meat and place aside in a bowl. Add 1-2 tablespoons of oil back in pot.
Throw in onion, pinch of salt and bell pepper. Put in the garlic after the onions and bell peppers are almost soft.
Be sure to scrap off all the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pot(fond). Its where the flavor is. Cook down for 8-10 minutes.
When completely softened, add tomato paste and cook till dissolved.
Add flour. Stir around till the white of the flour is gone. It should look like a red ball of pasty mess.
Add cumin and pinch of chili powder till toast(blooms).
Add tomato sauce, oregano, 2 -cans of chicken or beef broth. Adjust the amount of broth as needed.
Place all meat in the pot. Liquids should just about cover the meat. I always like to see some poking up. Bring to a boil.
Turn off stove and transfer covered dutch oven to the oven. Cook low and slow for 3 to 5 hours.

Notes

Check for thickness every hour. If it is not as thick as you like, make a slurry of corn starch and water and put it in while cooking.

Presentation

Serve on a TOASTED(toasting keeps it from falling apart) flour tortilla
Add a handful of cilantro, your favorite salsa and a squeeze of lime.
NO, NO's are cheese and sour cream. Enjoy!

0 1,007
 08-13-2014, 02:14 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Boy, does that look good. No ceramic coated Dutch oven, just a regular cast iron one for me. Sad

That is definitely winter comfort food. Biggrin

2 11,211
 08-14-2014, 05:30 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
That looks good Aaron!

8 1,449
 08-14-2014, 06:16 AM
User Info
Freddy, don't worry about it. Use what you have. 100 years ago no one had coated dutch ovens and I bet that recipe worked fine back then.

Thanks for the recipe. It's in the folder. Sounds good for when the weather gets cold.

32 6,471
 08-14-2014, 07:18 AM
User Info
(08-14-2014, 06:16 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Freddy, don't worry about it. Use what you have. 100 years ago no one had coated dutch ovens and I bet that recipe worked fine back then.

Thanks for the recipe. It's in the folder. Sounds good for when the weather gets cold.

Right, a nice seasoned dutch oven will work. Or, just use a regular stainless steel pot and cook slowly on the stove covered. Low and slow is the ticket.

I should have taken a picture of just the meat and its gravy/sauce by itself or alone on the tortilla for a better understanding. The meat always turns out very tender and has a different taste than normal beef stew.

0 1,007
 08-14-2014, 09:53 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Thanks for the tip Brian and Aaron. After sitting unused for years, it looks as if my ol' Dutch oven is going to see the light of day. First there was the no knead bread and, now, this. Smile

2 11,211
 08-14-2014, 12:18 PM
User Info
Wow, that looks wonderful!

21 555
 08-14-2014, 01:46 PM
User Info
Thanks everyone. This stuff is so good if ya placed a little on yer forehead yer tongue would slap yer brains out try'in to get up to it.

0 1,007
 09-06-2014, 09:53 AM
User Info
I have friend in New Zealand who just bought a ceramic coated Dutch oven. His first one as a great cook and chef. He found a large oval in Wellington. It's beautiful. Anyway, he was looking for a recipe and I suggested Carne Guisada. He said, "what's that Mate?" I showed him the recipe and he liked the ingredients and had most or all on hand. So he went to work on the meal, showing some pictures as he progressed. He said it was delicious and his wife went back for 2nds. It made me feel good. The wonders of the internet...

0 1,007
 09-06-2014, 11:09 AM
User Info
(09-06-2014, 09:53 AM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: I have friend in New Zealand who just bought a ceramic coated Dutch oven. His first one as a great cook and chef. He found a large oval in Wellington. It's beautiful. Anyway, he was looking for a recipe and I suggested Carne Guisada. He said, "what's that Mate?" I showed him the recipe and he liked the ingredients and had most or all on hand. So he went to work on the meal, showing some pictures as he progressed. He said it was delicious and his wife went back for 2nds. It made me feel good. The wonders of the internet...

* Excellent and the internet is amazing, at times! Smile

83 21,115
 09-06-2014, 05:12 PM
User Info
(09-06-2014, 11:09 AM)celestino Wrote:
(09-06-2014, 09:53 AM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: I have friend in New Zealand who just bought a ceramic coated Dutch oven. His first one as a great cook and chef. He found a large oval in Wellington. It's beautiful. Anyway, he was looking for a recipe and I suggested Carne Guisada. He said, "what's that Mate?" I showed him the recipe and he liked the ingredients and had most or all on hand. So he went to work on the meal, showing some pictures as he progressed. He said it was delicious and his wife went back for 2nds. It made me feel good. The wonders of the internet...

* Excellent and the internet is amazing, at times! Smile

He showed me a sweat bread recipe. Huh It's BrainsTongue

0 1,007
 09-06-2014, 05:43 PM
User Info
(09-06-2014, 05:12 PM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote:
(09-06-2014, 11:09 AM)celestino Wrote:

* Excellent and the internet is amazing, at times!

He showed me a sweat bread recipe. Huh It's BrainsTongue
Sweetbreads are the pancreas where I am from. Or neck sweetbreads, the Thymus gland.

6 1,224
 09-06-2014, 06:08 PM
User Info
Ya see...you just don't know what your ganna get.

0 1,007