05-20-2012, 04:43 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
Could someone explain to me what the "knot" is in a shaving brush. I see it mentioned in ads but have absolutely no idea what it means.

Thanks,

0 396
 05-20-2012, 04:46 PM
User Info
It is the hair in the brush.

2 704
 05-20-2012, 04:51 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-20-2012, 04:46 PM)SteelTown Wrote: It is the hair in the brush.

THANK YOU! I had visions of someone tying a knot in each hair OR that the hair inside the handle was tied in a knot. You've solved the mystery for me. Biggrin

0 396
 05-20-2012, 05:06 PM
User Info
When someone is talking about brush dimensions and mentions the knot and loft, the word knot in that case refers to the cross sectional (width) diameter of the hair, usually given in millimeters, at the point that the hair exits the handle.

191 12,032
 05-20-2012, 05:14 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-20-2012, 05:06 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: When someone is talking about brush dimensions and mentions the knot and loft, the word knot in that case refers to the cross sectional (width) diameter of the hair, usually given in millimeters, at the point that the hair exits the handle.

Yeah, I saw those numbers but had no idea what they meant. Thanks for clearing up my confusion. Smile

0 396
 05-20-2012, 07:13 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
And loft is the height in mm from the "knot" to the peak of the bristles.

0 353
 05-20-2012, 07:15 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-20-2012, 07:13 PM)Brent Wrote: And loft is the height in mm from the "knot" to the peak of the bristles.

Thanks Brent. I started out shaving this way a long time ago and I'm surprised at how little I knew about it at the time. I hope to remedy that. Biggrin

0 396
 05-20-2012, 07:24 PM
User Info
UncleDave we all start at the beginning. Despite what you've been told there are dumb questions, but that isn't one of them.
I bet you aren't the only person who didn't know the answer and wished they had asked, or thought to have asked.

That's why lots of times I'll go on spouting stuff even though I'm pretty sure the OP already knows what I'm writing. Lots of folks lurk and they need the answer whether we ever realize we supply it or not or even who's lurking. The mods probably have the statitics about how many folks lurk vs registered users. If it's the typical site it isn't even close to being mostly registered users getting answers.

32 6,320
 05-20-2012, 07:29 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-20-2012, 07:24 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: UncleDave we all start at the beginning. Despite what you've been told there are dumb questions, but that isn't one of them.
I bet you aren't the only person who didn't know the answer and wished they had asked, or thought to have asked.

That's why lots of times I'll go on spouting stuff even though I'm pretty sure the OP already knows what I'm writing. Lots of folks lurk and they need the answer whether we ever realize we supply it or not or even who's lurking. The mods probably have the statitics about how many folks lurk vs registered users. If it's the typical site it isn't even close to being mostly registered users getting answers.

Thank you! I have always had sort of a motto. "If you don't know something, be willing to say you don't know. If you NEED to know it, go learn it. Do not spout an answer on something you know nothing about."

I will ask questions since there is so much about all this that I don't know. I really appreciate all the nice fellows like you on this forum who are helping me learn.

0 396
 05-20-2012, 08:09 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
Yeah, don't worry about it. All the terms and acronyms that get thrown around made me think everyone was talking some foreign language or something when I first started. We all learn.

Now that you know what some of these mean, next step is what affect they have. Loft for example. Those mm can make a difference and I find it's connected to the knot size.

If you're looking at some specific brushes the best is to ask what others think. You'd be amazed at the experience all these guys have!

0 353
 05-20-2012, 08:43 PM
User Info
Definitely keep asking questions. We all have different areas with more experience so you may hear from different people at different times. Do some leg work for sure, but so much of this hobby is personal preference do it all comes down to trying things out & seeing what works & what doesn't.

Enjoying your shaves is an important part.

31 7,942
 05-20-2012, 08:48 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-20-2012, 08:43 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Definitely keep asking questions. We all have different areas with more experience so you may hear from different people at different times. Do some leg work for sure, but so much of this hobby is personal preference do it all comes down to trying things out & seeing what works & what doesn't.

Enjoying your shaves is an important part.

Thanks Brian. All help and advice is greatly appreciated.

0 396
 05-20-2012, 09:20 PM
User Info
Acronyms? Does anyone know all of them? If so I'm in awe of that person.

What you've just been told Unc'Dave, is IMO, the basis for most ADs. At least we can use it as the excuse for AD of all types. "I had to try it." I'll back you up on that every time if asked.

32 6,320
 05-20-2012, 09:27 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-20-2012, 09:20 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Acronyms? Does anyone know all of them? If so I'm in awe of that person.

What you've just been told Unc'Dave, is IMO, the basis for most ADs. At least we can use it as the excuse for AD of all types. "I had to try it." I'll back you up on that every time if asked.

Heh heh. I'm very familiar with AD. I've had it in one form or another for most of my life. Thankfully, this shaving hobby will probably be less expensive per purchase than other hobbies I've had. And that's good since I'm retired an on a fixed income now. Biggrin

0 396
 05-21-2012, 03:48 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The only thing missing from the above explanations is a picture:
[attachment=2316]

95 17,964
 05-21-2012, 08:40 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-21-2012, 03:48 AM)ben74 Wrote: The only thing missing from the above explanations is a picture:

Thanks Ben. I have a lot to learn but I'm having a ball learning it. Biggrin

0 396
 05-22-2012, 08:14 PM
User Info
(05-20-2012, 05:06 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: When someone is talking about brush dimensions and mentions the knot and loft, the word knot in that case refers to the cross sectional (width) diameter of the hair, usually given in millimeters, at the point that the hair exits the handle.

+1

76 20,924