05-20-2012, 05:10 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
I bought a bottle of the GR balm in the standard, and loved its scent, so i followed up by buying the cream thinking they would be the same scent, but what i got was different, very different.

In fact what i got matched the description of their other cream Black Ice, as i get black licorice (anise) from it more.. i sent of an email asking them about it, but was wondering if anyone here as tried both and could say if they had some similarities or if the cream should in fact match the balm perfectly

I love the cream it works great, just wish i would have got the scent part as well

btw if no has used this stuff speak up as well if enough are interested and there is not much info in the forums on it ill drop in a review for everyone

thanks in advance

3 748
 05-20-2012, 05:18 PM
User Info
I tried the Black Ice soap a while back, but couldn't get by the black licorice scent.

9 1,199
 05-20-2012, 05:35 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
the standard balm has an herbal lavender scent that i love, i think the caps on the soaps got mixed up and i got something boxed wrong here myself Just not sure, I hope the GR gets back to my email soon

3 748
 05-20-2012, 07:44 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I never tried the Black Ice as I knew I would not like the anise scent at all. Didn't know there was a second version.

0 353
 05-20-2012, 08:58 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
(05-20-2012, 07:44 PM)Brent Wrote: I never tried the Black Ice as I knew I would not like the anise scent at all. Didn't know there was a second version.

lol thats funny as i always thought of the black ice s the second version, i think this stuff is made frm the same people who make the j.m. fraser cream to, at least they are the only canadian cream makers that i know of and this cream is made in canada

3 748
 05-21-2012, 06:00 AM
User Info
I have had samples of both creams and I would say your suspicions are correct.

The creams perform similarly, but the scent of the Black Ice is very distinctive and nothing at all like The Standard.

Please let us know how they handle the situation.

1 77
 05-21-2012, 06:06 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I've never used their products so I review would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

91 17,795
 05-21-2012, 09:04 AM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
No problem ben, let me see if I can gather some photos, ill drop back in later with it for you as it is well performing cream, and all natural. Most of the product line of TheGR is even certified organic too if that stuff matters to anyone, and the guy who started company used to be a master barber for AOS and an executive barber for T&H.

One thing about the cream it has a different texture then any other i have used, even for a concentrated one... if you try to scoop some up with your finger it almost comes up the same way prosaso pre post cream does, but i load right off the top of it and it works well that way, without using to much product, much the same methods as CF

(05-21-2012, 06:00 AM)40boy Wrote: I have had samples of both creams and I would say your suspicions are correct.

The creams perform similarly, but the scent of the Black Ice is very distinctive and nothing at all like The Standard.

Please let us know how they handle the situation.
How would you describe the scent of the standard cream, I know in the balm at least its lavender, but has an herbalness to it certainly not a straight lav like CF or AOS.

I couldnt find a way to upload pics into the thread so i dropped what i thought into a new one
http://shavenook.com/thread-the-gentleme...m-a-review

GR just emailed me back saying it is pretty much improbable for the lids to be mismatched, but they would send me out a new one if i would like, problem is last time i asked about samples they told me they dont ship to canada, so we will see what they do as i would like to see if i am right about the mismatch or not

3 748
 05-21-2012, 10:16 AM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
"Thank you for your question. The Standard After Shave Balm’s scent is different from The Standard Shave Cream. Unlike some brands you may be familiar with…scent is not the thread that creates/binds The Standard Shave System. TGR products have different Certified Organic Essential Oils (which dissipate) for reasons of health and healing also compatibility to the entire line. If you go to http://www.thegr.com and click on any product under the quantity you’ll find more info. There you’ll see our Benefits & Features pages also Ingredient Lists.

As to the wrong sticker; that’s highly unlikely as all stickers are applied by The Gentlemens Refinery. Opening lids is another unlikely possibility as our products are shipped in sealed boxed packaging. After you’ve had an opportunity to read our more info pages you’ll have a more clear idea of what scents are predominant in each product.

If by some chance you believe you did receive an improperly stickered TGR Shave Cream, The Gentlemens Refinery is happy to send you a replacement.

We certainly hope this answers your question also encourages continued research on TGR site for your satisfaction.

Best regards,
The Gentlemens Refinery
Customer Service"

This is what they wrote me back, Maybe its just me then the mixture of the lav oils, sandalwood, and ylang ylang oils, may be trickign my nose, as i have no idea what ylang ylang smells like and i can pick floral scents up in this

3 748
 05-21-2012, 12:26 PM
User Info
It has been a while, but I recall the Standard having a kind of muddled, very light sandalwood/cedar/lavender/soapy thing going on. It was not heavily scented.

The Black Ice smelled exactly like black licorice. Strong and unmistakable.

I didn't care for either scent. The unscented cream and balm are both nice, but I never followed up and purchased full containers of any of their products. Too many I like more.

1 77
 05-21-2012, 02:20 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Well after getting a second and third nose opinion i decided to take TheGR offer up on mailing me out another one, not two minutes later i got sent this

"Thank you for your mailing information James. Expect to receive a Standard Shave Cream in the next five days.

Best regards,
The Gentlemens Refinery
Customer Service"

That was fast an easy, great customer service is rare outside of our forum trusted venders, im happy, just hope im not wrong lmao

on a side not for those who may wish to try i will end up having an extra tub i think ill split it into quarters and PIF out those samples in the contest thread once i have the new container for people to try it out, not to many well working natural organic products on the market and that would make it worth a try !

3 748
 05-28-2012, 08:16 AM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
well my replacement cream showed up today and i noticed two things, one it was a very different scent then what i did have, it is much milder not a strong scent at all but i find it nice, its a fresh woodsy scent that is made up of its essential oils, its not fragranced at all.

The other thing was this time around the cream was a cream, not a hard cream like the other one, this was a soft one that you could scoop out like normal, so i wonder what it was exactly i got the first time around, guess ill ask them and make sure its not an out of date product before i put some of it up for grabs lol

3 748