55.26% of votes
Do Not Buy in 1st Place
21.05% of votes
Not Sure
0% of votes
* You voted for this item.
 08-14-2014, 01:03 AM
User Info
Notice the placement of the "2 best badger" stamp on the Duke 2 (right)and the gold stamp. I hope the vendor (Custom Shaving) sent me a different one, but its looking like this is the one they are sending me and its really bugging me, lol.

[Image: pstmN50.jpg] [Image: HaecgwS.jpg]

0 22
 08-14-2014, 04:57 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I imagine it is these slight nuances/imperfections that gives each Simpson brush it's unique and desired character due to being hand-made

34 1,628
 08-14-2014, 07:30 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Current Simpson brushes are all turned an a CNC lathe and engraved so while there may be slight variances in batch to batch it won't be like the old hand turned and lamp blacked models where each handle had its own character. I personally would not be bothered by the decal partially covering the engraving, but I understand how somebody else might.

144 2,749
 08-14-2014, 10:21 AM
User Info
(08-14-2014, 07:30 AM)blzrfn Wrote: Current Simpson brushes are all turned an a CNC lathe and engraved so while there may be slight variances in batch to batch it won't be like the old hand turned and lamp blacked models where each handle had its own character. I personally would not be bothered by the decal partially covering the engraving, but I understand how somebody else might.

Guess, I'm just OCD about this sort of thing, as I'll have to live with the glaring flaw. I'm wondering if the new stickers are small enough where peeling off the old one and replacing it with a new one would fix the issue?

Nevermind, lol. It would cost me nearly $19 for a new sticker! lol

0 22
 08-14-2014, 10:34 AM
User Info
The newer stickers are of an identical size to the old, so that won't correct this issue, unfortunately.
I suppose it comes down to what you are prepared to receive as being acceptable. I have a Jubilee where the sticker partially covers the engraving, but that is simply a mispositioned sticker. I could remove and replace it without a problem.
Personally, I wouldn't like that degree of error, especially when Simpson brushes sell at a premium price.

31 5,293
 08-14-2014, 11:07 AM
User Info
(08-14-2014, 10:34 AM)Optometrist Wrote: The newer stickers are of an identical size to the old, so that won't correct this issue, unfortunately.
I suppose it comes down to what you are prepared to receive as being acceptable. I have a Jubilee where the sticker partially covers the engraving, but that is simply a mispositioned sticker. I could remove and replace it without a problem.
Personally, I wouldn't like that degree of error, especially when Simpson brushes sell at a premium price.

Ahhhhh.... we are talking about a sticker, aren't we? Golly gee, I did not know that a sticker totally impacted the value of a brush. A47

24 276
 08-14-2014, 11:18 AM
User Info
(08-14-2014, 11:07 AM)monarch2001 Wrote:
(08-14-2014, 10:34 AM)Optometrist Wrote: The newer stickers are of an identical size to the old, so that won't correct this issue, unfortunately.

Ahhhhh.... we are talking about a sticker, aren't we? Golly gee, I did not know that a sticker totally impacted the value of a brush. A47

Well, its not just the sticker, look how low the "2 Best Badger" stamp was placed.

0 22
 08-14-2014, 11:26 AM
User Info
+1

[/quote]

0 62
 08-14-2014, 11:36 AM
User Info
(08-14-2014, 11:18 AM)MerchantofShave Wrote:

Well, its not just the sticker, look how low the "2 Best Badger" stamp was placed.

Most Simpsons have some variations as they have a great deal of human input. If you have not used it, send it back for a replacement or refund. It is just not worth going through all this angst.

Michael

24 276
 08-14-2014, 11:59 AM
User Info

Michael, of course the sticker has no impact on the performance of the brush, but my point was that when you are paying that kind of money for a premium brand, I would not consider it unreasonable to expect certain standards in finish.
As a point of reference, Simpson, has today, offered a Silvertip Hive at a substantial discount, merely for some smudging of the engraving. If this isn't a prime example of Simpson acknowledging a sub par finish and adjusting the price accordingly to reflect that, I don't know what is.
Why would you want to accept anything less? Pay full price in the knowledge that it would probably affect the resale price later, should you decide to sell? Hmmm.

31 5,293
 08-14-2014, 12:09 PM
User Info
I think what I'll do is just send it back and wait for them to get more Duke 2's in stock and exchange it for one with out that glaring flaw, lol. And FYI, Custom Shaving has been great with me which is why I'd rather send it back, wait and exchange it rather than ask for a refund.

0 22
 08-14-2014, 03:17 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(08-14-2014, 04:57 AM)Giorgio Wrote: I imagine it is these slight nuances/imperfections that gives each Simpson brush it's unique and desired character due to being hand-made

Or perhaps it is due to an enlightened employee benefits policy reflected in the beverages on tap in the break room.

1 1,086
 08-14-2014, 05:39 PM
User Info
(08-14-2014, 03:17 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(08-14-2014, 04:57 AM)Giorgio Wrote: I imagine it is these slight nuances/imperfections that gives each Simpson brush it's unique and desired character due to being hand-made

Or perhaps it is due to an enlightened employee benefits policy reflected in the beverages on tap in the break room.

Hey Mel!

You're right! Portland, OR is definitely weird.

24 276
 08-14-2014, 10:09 PM
User Info
I hate to beat a dead badger but, I have this brush arriving tomorrow from Custom Shaving and I am trying to decide if I should keep it and live with the flaw in its stamping/decal or return it.

[Image: JO3nzED.jpg][Image: 4xK1zzy.jpg]

0 22
 08-14-2014, 10:55 PM
User Info
Yeah send it back if it bothers you.

2 71
 08-15-2014, 12:39 AM
User Info
Up to you, if you think you can live with it then don't... But yeah I agree with you, it looks weird...

0 19
 08-15-2014, 01:46 AM
User Info
For me, the answer is a definite return, for the reasons I have given in another thread.

31 5,293
 08-15-2014, 02:02 AM
User Info
(08-14-2014, 11:59 AM)Optometrist Wrote:

Michael, of course the sticker has no impact on the performance of the brush, but my point was that when you are paying that kind of money for a premium brand, I would not consider it unreasonable to expect certain standards in finish.
As a point of reference, Simpson, has today, offered a Silvertip Hive at a substantial discount, merely for some smudging of the engraving. If this isn't a prime example of Simpson acknowledging a sub par finish and adjusting the price accordingly to reflect that, I don't know what is.
Why would you want to accept anything less? Pay full price in the knowledge that it would probably affect the resale price later, should you decide to sell? Hmmm.

+1

Enviado de meu GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk

0 163
 08-15-2014, 02:53 AM
User Info
I would return it.

50 6,071
 08-15-2014, 03:13 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
If it bugs you now, it will bug you every time you pick up that brush. I would suggest looking into the Superior Shave. Jarod takes actual stock photos of each brush, front and back. Takes measurements of each brush and you pick the one you want.

28 1,622