08-15-2014, 06:06 AM
User Info
Let me preface this by stating that I do not have any 2-band or Manchurian brushes (yet Biggrin) but I am hoping others with these brushes can weigh in.

I have always preferred 2 band brushes for both their visual aesthetics as well as their performance and a Simpsons 2-band super was very high on the wish list. A few years ago it seemed like these were relatively easy to acquire but this has changed around the time Manchurian hair was reintroduced.

From early reports, Manchurian hair was courser with more backbone and more scritch when compared to regular 2-band. Over the passed few years the reports on Manchurian hair has changed to be much softer (with still excellent backbone) while the availability of 2-Band super hair has gone way down. If one were inclined to believe in conspiracies, they might assume that what was formerly graded as 2-Band super is now just called Manchurian as it comes with a higher premium.

Can those with both earlier and recent Manchurian brushes and who have 2-Band super brushes comment? I have a Manchurian brush on the way but should I still seek out a 2-Band Super option or are they going to be similar in feel and function?

1 57
 08-15-2014, 06:14 AM
User Info
Comparing my older CH2 2 Band Silvertip with my CH3 Manchurian, I have to say that the Silvertip hair is definitely softer.

[Image: 4S47GGY.jpg]

[Image: U79QawE.jpg]

I was a little surprised when I first discovered this. Maybe mine is an exception, but from what I also have been reading lately, this seems to be the case.

39 3,918
 08-15-2014, 06:22 AM
User Info
(08-15-2014, 06:14 AM)primotenore Wrote: Comparing my older CH2 2 Band Silvertip with my CH3 Manchurian, I have to say that the Silvertip hair is definitely softer.

Thanks for the quick response (and with pictures!!). If there seems to be a clear distinction in that 2-Band super is still noticeably softer, that is not good for my wallet. My primary brush characteristic is softness followed by backbone and flow through.

1 57
 08-15-2014, 07:17 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Current generation Manchurian is nothing like current generation Two Bands from Simpsons, I started asking the exact same questions as you did and can appreciate that like of questioning.

Simply put current Manchurian is soft tips as everyone describes but there's an ever present gentle scrubbing sensation on the face when your using it.

Relating it to current generation Two Band the tips are silky smooth to me and there is zero scritch or scrub present but the backbone isn't as strong as Manchurian. Primarily due to the individual hairs which when you get yours visually/physically thicker, it was one of the first traits I noticed.
The Two Bands only come in Bulb shaped knots, which I think help increase its backbone as the Manchurian comes in Hybrid Fan shape.

Prior generation Two Band from Simpson I have and I think the hair has more backbone but the hair feel isn't the same, in that there's a touch of scritch to the face feel.

I admit thou that I very much enjoy both as they are completely different experiences.

35 1,329
 08-15-2014, 01:23 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I echo the above - and I got some of both... ?
They are not the same... And I still prefer the 2 Band over the Manchurian. Best Manchurian for me us QE2 as the higher relative loft makes her less scrubby.

37 1,861
 08-15-2014, 02:17 PM
User Info
I have a Plisson European White brush which I like very much. We can more or less agree that their HMW is similar but a bit softer at the tips than the EW.
I like the fact that the Plisson hair is thicker than the average two band, which gives it more backbone than the average 2 band and also that the flow through is better.
I don't own any Manchurian yet, but after reading here and there about this Manchurian hair, to me it sounds very similar to the Plisson hair type... In what case it would definitely be to my liking...
But then I wouldn't know about the difference between earlier and later hair types.
I will soon have a better idea anyway as I receive my M6, and will post my feelings, if to me it is closer to a Plisson or closer to a standard two band like a Blonde Badger...

0 19
 08-15-2014, 02:17 PM
User Info
My hope was that my incoming M6 would allow me to cross the 2-Band brush off my wish list. Unfortunately it sounds like that is the one I want even more as it is the softer of the two.

All well... guess I'll just have to enjoy my Manchurian and eventually get a 2-band as well ... (in plexiglass Biggrin).

1 57
 08-15-2014, 07:13 PM
User Info
I order M6 and waiting on simpson to offer chubby 2 , 2band silvertip and I will be in and close my search for brushes.

1- silvertip. 2 band
2- Manchurian
3- boar
4- best badger

61 3,072