08-15-2014, 11:06 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
I have a Gem Damaskene that I have not used yet. I am thinking that the spring is a bit loose. Is this a common think with Damaskenes? When I put my finger on the top plate holdes the blade and press slightly (almost just the weight of my finger), the plate lifts about 2 mm. I'm thinking this will affect the shave?

[Image: 6e17e2637ab3e4f663d6b93ab7225778_zps3e69dd4e.jpg]

7 858
 08-15-2014, 07:51 PM
User Info
What follows is only my opinion, but check out what happens with your Damaskeene with the loose spring.

Mine has the 2 clips/stops at the comb as yours has. The blade is held under those clips at the comb. The cover closes and as it does the spring comes forward performing the function of holding the blade both forward into the clips, and down against the head. Check to see if that happens with yours. It can be easily seen since the head is completely open at the rear.

As long as the blade is held at those 2 points I don't see what action the cover itself performs during the shave. I suspect it's purely cosmetic. In fact I have a number of lather catchers that hold the blade this very same way and they have no cover at all.

But check to make sure that spring at the rear actually is holding the blade down. You can see it move into position and do it's job as the cover is lowered.

Please let us know how you make out with it.

Edit: If you can make a blade dull, do so. You don't want it sharp since you'll be pushing against it. Put the dull blade into position and pushback with slight pressure. See if the blade moves. You don't need a lot of pressure, just what is used during a shave, and that's not very much.

32 6,459
 09-03-2014, 02:07 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(08-15-2014, 07:51 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: What follows is only my opinion, but check out what happens with your Damaskeene with the loose spring.

Mine has the 2 clips/stops at the comb as yours has. The blade is held under those clips at the comb. The cover closes and as it does the spring comes forward performing the function of holding the blade both forward into the clips, and down against the head. Check to see if that happens with yours. It can be easily seen since the head is completely open at the rear.

As long as the blade is held at those 2 points I don't see what action the cover itself performs during the shave. I suspect it's purely cosmetic. In fact I have a number of lather catchers that hold the blade this very same way and they have no cover at all.

But check to make sure that spring at the rear actually is holding the blade down. You can see it move into position and do it's job as the cover is lowered.

Please let us know how you make out with it.

Edit: If you can make a blade dull, do so. You don't want it sharp since you'll be pushing against it. Put the dull blade into position and pushback with slight pressure. See if the blade moves. You don't need a lot of pressure, just what is used during a shave, and that's not very much.

Thank you Brian for your reply and your wisdome Smile I will check it out, and get back with my findings.

7 858
 09-06-2014, 05:13 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(08-15-2014, 07:51 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Mine has the 2 clips/stops at the comb as yours has. The blade is held under those clips at the comb. The cover closes and as it does the spring comes forward performing the function of holding the blade both forward into the clips, and down against the head. Check to see if that happens with yours. It can be easily seen since the head is completely open at the rear.

You are absolutly right. The spring pushes the blade forward and down. And it sits firmly in place. Now I just need to wash and polish the beauty, and it is good to go Smile

7 858