08-16-2014, 11:57 AM
User Info
I wonder what your favorite Simpsons in best hair is ?

I have owned 4 Simpsons in best hair grade.

Currently only own 2 - the Chubby 2 in best hair limited edition swirled faux ivory and the Phyl P8 in best hair.

Previously owned a Duke 2 and a Duke 3 in best hair - but have now sold all my Dukes (not so fund of the handle design - yes, call me crazy - the Dukes handle design is just not favorable for my eyes to look at and lacks the more solid fat feel I get from a Chubby 2 handle)

I enjoy both the P8 and the Chubby 2, but the Chubby 2 Best may be among the best brushes I have ever tried and owned - it even rivals my Chubby 2 & Chubby 3 Manchurians, my Chubby 2 and Chubby 3 2-Bands - and even rivals my limited edition Morris & Forndran Old Rooney Finest 29 mm 2-band brush.

What is your favorite Simpson Best brush ?

24 5,967
 08-16-2014, 12:16 PM
User Info
Well... the best Simpson in best badger that I have is actually a D.R.Harris H2 best badger that is made by Vulfix/Simpson.
I don't know if it is the best (of course, that is always questionable, as YMMV), but it certainly is one of my favourite brushes for facelathering Smile

2 5,547
 08-16-2014, 12:34 PM
User Info
Badger hair grading varies so much between Best badger brushes... One really can't say that Model X is better than Model Y because the next brush of both models may be entirely different in character. I've been quite lucky with the Best Simpson bushes I've gotten when I didn't ask for a hand selected brush (twice). All of my Best badgers are uniformly excellent even though they vary in color. The others I bought off of the b/s/t and I asked about the hair quality.

The P8 probably had the most scritch when new (hand selection wasn't possible), but if it's still there I certainly don't notice it anymore. Frankly I think most if not all of the scritch is gone from the brush. Today it's very good to excellent; proving to me that badger does break in at least slightly.

So my answer is all of my Simpsons, except for the P8, without listing all of them.

I think the takeaway is to make sure of what you're buying from the b/s/t, and if a vendor won't hand select one for you then find one who will. They aren't inexpensive and you want what you want. I don't mean to imply that there aren't some folks who want and like a bit of scritch. One can have a brush hand selected for that as well.

32 6,459
 08-16-2014, 12:39 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
My favorite is definitely the phyl8 Biggrin.

I also have a Duke 1 and it exhibits a little too much scritch to call it my favorite. I'd like to pick up a current Best, such as a CL2, D2, or 58 just to see how I'd like it.

34 1,628
 08-16-2014, 12:57 PM
User Info
Out of all the Simpson brushes I own including Chubby 1 Chubby 2 both in super M7 in finest silvertip Duke 3 in best the and now the M6 in Manchurian, the best Simpson brush by far for looks and performance would have to be hands down the P8 that brush must be the steal of the century. £60 I still can't believe that brush cost so little I would willingly pay £120 for that brush.

11 1,940
 08-16-2014, 02:04 PM
User Info
I agree with the Gentleman who says badger hair do indeed need to break in, especially the more rough badger hair like the cheaper Pure, the expensive Manchurian 2-band hair and the Shavemac D01 2-band hair.

The softer badger hair may not need break in, but no matter if one likes it or not, the softer badger hair will get even softer with usage, in fact soft to a point, where it may start to annoy the owner because the brush now is starting to feel like an entirely different brush, than the brush the owner originally purchased.

I have had 50-75 brushes in my den for 2-3 years now, so I never get to actually use any of my brushes more than maybe 25 times, before I sell them or buy new brushes that will put the old ones in the dark corner of my shaving den.

But I have seen and felt how a D01 2-band brush transitioned from very harsh and rough in feel to feeling gentler in a matter of 15-20 shaves.

So all badgers will transition over time and with usage.
The harder will become softer, the softer will become even softer.

24 5,967
 08-16-2014, 03:56 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I agree it's excellent when you can pick your Simpson BEST sight seen...All of my BEST badger Simpsons are from B&M stores, except the P8, which i really enjoy and actually found to be middle pack amongst my favorite BEST badger Simpsons. That said, I have a Key Hole 2 that has sweet silvertip, a Classic 2 that is identical looking hair to my Simpson Super brushes and an amazing 3 band chestnut colored tip bulb shaped knot Milk Churn that is one of my favorites.

Badger Brushes definitely break in! It's a different break in for the most part compared to boar knots that split at the tips when being broken in. I feel badger brushes, and boars too have more of a break in period for the knot/hair shafts. The knots open up and spread out(especially dense knots and two-bands) a bit and usually a touch of backbone is lost IMO when the hair/knot sees more use. I really have never noticed badger hair split, so I don't think that is part of badger knot break in.

4 794
 08-16-2014, 04:51 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
 08-16-2014, 07:45 PM
User Info
I have only one Duke 3 Best and i like it very much. On the days when i want softer face feel, i use my synth. Boars have the majority in my den.

1 495
 08-17-2014, 01:16 AM
User Info
Chubby 2 in Best 2010 year is one of my best Brushes Biggrin

8 1,683
 08-17-2014, 01:54 AM
User Info
I've had quite a few bests. Some really good, some terrible. They were so scratchy they now have shavemac knots in them.

I don't own anymore as my tastes have changed somewhat from back in 2009-10.

I don't think I'll have one again.

7 1,182
 08-17-2014, 02:01 AM
User Info
I've had several Best brushes over the past four years and have sold all of them. Just not my cup of tea with all the alternatives available.

31 5,293
 08-17-2014, 02:29 AM
User Info
My favorite Simpson Best brushes are the Rover and Milk Churn, but lately I've been using smaller brushes. The X1 and 46 are hard to beat, especially for the money. Simpson's Best definitely breaks in and gets softer with time.

42 208
 08-17-2014, 04:39 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
My Simpson's best include: The Colonel, Wee Scot, P8 and Chubby1. My favourite is The Colonel (since promoted to Major General).

7 909
 08-17-2014, 05:23 AM
User Info
Claus, from my Simpson collection of brushes in Best Badger that I own are:

Chubby CH3,CH2 & CH1,Polo PL14, Polo Pl10, Polo PL8, Series fifty No:59, Beauford B6, Keyhole KH4, The Duke D3.

I have too say that some of the above are better than their counterparts in Super. Just a personal thing........ this last couple of years Vulfix Best Badger has been very hard to beat.

As for my favourite Simpson brush the honours go to the : M7

Charles U.K

0 2,428
 08-17-2014, 05:30 AM
User Info
My Duke 2 in Best is probably my most used brush, as it's used for travelling. It was an LE brush and I have a feeling the Best was a better grade with finer hair.
I'm now breaking-in the Berkley in Best, this is a beautiful brush, however I do find the handle a little small.

23 475
 08-18-2014, 06:17 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I have owned four CH2s in Best, each of them different from the other, all of them excellent. One had a 2-band appearance and was very scrubby. Another more resembled 3-band Super. Another seemed to me a classic, middle of the road Best. My favorite had a chestnut tint at the tips (Lordbishop mentioned having a Milk Churn with this Best). This "chestnut Chubby" had softer tips and springer hair than the others. Quite special.

My point is the variability in Best hair. So I could answer your question in two ways, Claus:

My favorite Simpsons Best hair is the chestnut tipped variety.

My favorite brush model in Best? Hmmmm. I think that will depend on the particular batch of Best used in it. You are twisting my arm? Okay, 50 series.

Andrew

43 1,698
 08-20-2014, 05:51 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-16-2014, 12:16 PM)oversaturn Wrote: Well... the best Simpson in best badger that I have is actually a D.R.Harris H2 best badger that is made by Vulfix/Simpson.
I don't know if it is the best (of course, that is always questionable, as YMMV), but it certainly is one of my favourite brushes for facelathering Smile

Thats a great brush indeed.And all the Dukes 3 in best badger have been great too (I have owned 4 of them).

I also had a Colonel and a X1 Commodore which were nothing less than superb brushes.Wonderful best badger hair.

However still remembering a N46 in best which hair had the feeling of sand paper...terrible !!!

And a mention to one of the Chubby 2 in best (I have owned 3) , which was a dream but I sold I dont know why...

88 7,214
 08-20-2014, 06:46 PM
User Info
I've been interested in the Colonel and 58 for a long while. I like the traditional shapes, the handles are comfy and, at least with the Colonel, the price is right. But I've hesitated because of their history of hair variability and not wanting to get stuck with even a hint of scritch. Consistency, as I've been told, has been excellent over the last few months, so now seemed to be an opportune time, but getting the lofts I prefer has turned into another bugaboo. I still like those brushes, but I guess getting one is not meant to be.

29 1,776
 08-21-2014, 03:49 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Eagle G3 in Best (100 made), sadly I let mine go...

99 18,011