08-16-2014, 03:55 PM
User Info
I'm a face latherer of hard soaps and I already own a Commodore X2 and Wee Scot, just looking for a short, stout brush for lathering my soaps. Lathering with my Commodore X3 has shown me that bigger isn't always better and I would rather have a shorter, stout, scrubber for my soaps that doesn't cover most of my face in just a few swirls like the Commodore X3 does, yet the Wee Scot is too small for daily use (atleast for me). In choosing between the Duke 1 and Duke 2, does the size difference have that big of an impact on the lathering experience? Why do more prefer the Duke 2 to the Duke 1? Why is there very little talk or mention of the Duke 1?

0 22
 08-16-2014, 07:37 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
A shot of the 3 in question.
[Image: Ed3w59a.jpg]

As you can see the D1 and Classic 1 are virtually the same size( both around ~21mm with 44mm loft). The Classic comes with a travel tube I imagine that this is why its a more popular option.
The D2 is a little larger (~22mm with ~47mm loft). Its a very good size for face lathering, and Its also a good middle of the road size pleasing both large and small brush enthusiasts.
The size of the brush dose make a difference in your experience, but then so dose shape and hair type. The best way is to try a few, they can sometimes be found on the BST section of this site. Or read up on the Simpsons M6 TSN LE It may end your search quickly. (if its still available).
I hope this helps, there are many more on this forum that can give a more thorough answer, hopefully they will chime in.

28 1,622
 08-16-2014, 10:23 PM
User Info
Awesome, thank you! I know this seems redundant because the shapes of the brushes are the same and the sizes are obviously different, I'm just trying to guess if I should err on the side of smaller or bigger? Really hard to get an idea without seeing and holding both in my hands.

0 22
 08-16-2014, 10:56 PM
User Info
I own a Duke 1 and I really like it. Never tried the Duke 2 but I initially bought the Duke 1 to face lather with. If your hands are not to big you will enjoy the duke 1. I Find it very comfortable and a joy to use but I do prefer smaller brushes and smaller handles on my razors so YMMV. If you have somewhat bigger hands I would go with the Duke 2. Never heard a bad thing about the Duke 2.

It also works wonderful in a small bowl if you are looking to bowl lather on occasion. I have an EJ Chrome plated bowl which is very small but the Duke 1 is perfect for that bowl and works great if I want to bowl lather.

46 1,102
 08-17-2014, 05:32 AM
User Info
I have a Duke 2 and it's perfect for face lathering. I prefer it to the Duke 3, as the ridges in the Duke 3 make it a little uncomfortable to hold.

23 475
 08-17-2014, 07:03 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
(08-16-2014, 10:23 PM)MerchantofShave Wrote: Awesome, thank you! I know this seems redundant because the shapes of the brushes are the same and the sizes are obviously different, I'm just trying to guess if I should err on the side of smaller or bigger? Really hard to get an idea without seeing and holding both in my hands.

I personally prefer the duke 2, it is the most used brush I own and I have all three sizes. I read somewhere that Alex Simpson used 2 brushes a Duke 2 and a Chubby 2 Both in best.
I should have put a Wee Scot in the first pic, here it is for some more perspective.
[Image: NOlE5W1.jpg]
I would go with the Duke 2, you will probably like it and if you don't you will have an easier time selling it later.

28 1,622
 08-17-2014, 08:31 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I have a Duke 2 and love it for face lathering. I've actually bowl lathered with it too and it didn't give me any trouble. Good balance of backbone, softness and flow through.

2 286
 08-18-2014, 01:13 PM
User Info
(08-16-2014, 03:55 PM)MerchantofShave Wrote: I'm a face latherer of hard soaps and I already own a Commodore X2 and Wee Scot, just looking for a short, stout brush for lathering my soaps. Lathering with my Commodore X3 has shown me that bigger isn't always better and I would rather have a shorter, stout, scrubber for my soaps that doesn't cover most of my face in just a few swirls like the Commodore X3 does, yet the Wee Scot is too small for daily use (atleast for me). In choosing between the Duke 1 and Duke 2, does the size difference have that big of an impact on the lathering experience? Why do more prefer the Duke 2 to the Duke 1? Why is there very little talk or mention of the Duke 1?

I think most men's hands is the reason why people don't talk about Duke 1.

I have a size Large to XL size hands, and I feel a Duke 2 is too small for me to hold comfortable. The Duke 1 feels like a toy in my hand. Even the Jubilee is too small and I'm selling it because of this.

Same with Chubby 1 handles. Too short.

My sweet spot is Chubby 2, Chubby 3 and a handle like the P8.

24 5,962