08-19-2014, 09:29 AM
User Info
It begins. Aimsport Razor Labs 3D printed wetshaving products are now available in Beta for purchase.

When it comes to razors, tenths and hundredths of millimeter changes in the cutting configuration matter. I know because I have more R41 2011s than I care to admit, and they measure slightly differently, and perform differently. With the advent of 3D printing you will be able to discover what works best for you. No more one size fits all.

Aimsport Razor Labs' first offerings are as follows.

C410i Spitfire Mk. I

This is a top cap upgrade for the Muhle R41 2013 that delivers performance approximating or exceeding that of the R41 2011. Finally!

[Image: oRHPFfn.png]

It is 3D printed at Shapeways and so has a lead time to manufacture and ship to you. This is a Beta for the ultra curious and the brave and printed in Ultra Detail Acrylic (first). After your feedback and testing, we hope to add new materials including metals.

C410k Hurricane Mk. I

This is a top cap upgrade for the Muhle R41 2013 that delivers performance approximating or exceeding that of the R41 2011. It is milder and without the flex feel of the C410i Spitfire Mk. I.

[Image: f6mx5xO.png]

It is 3D printed at Shapeways and so has a lead time to manufacture and ship to you. This is a Beta for the ultra curious and the brave and printed in Ultra Detail Acrylic (first). After your feedback and testing, we hope to add new materials including metals.

Beta Testing Q&A Info.
Click here for a Beta Testing Model Update Spreadsheet.

3D Printing Info
Ordering from 3D Printing vendors is a bit different than from traditional shops.
Pros:
  1. Inventory is essentially unlimited, as product is printed on demand.
  2. Since there is no stock, only tested designs, there is no inherent limit on variety. For example, printing a longer version of the top cap is as simple as Aimsport Razor Labs changing one parameter and re-running the software gen.
  3. Multiple materials are possible
  4. Short runs are no problem, as, again, there is no inventory.
  5. 3D Vendors are competing for business. Costs and lead times are coming down. Quality and material options are increasing. Shipping and Handling is getting more competitive. Aimsport Razor Labs regularly researches new 3D print vendors and materials for quality, speed and price.
  6. Imagine being able to order a set of product ranging in size so you can tune your shave for your face.

Cons:
  1. 3D Printing piece costs are higher than casting. That is made up for partly by shrinking the margins.
  2. 3D Printing has a lead time. The 3D printing vendor needs to schedule the orders into an upcoming print run for the selected material.
  3. Shipping costs are at the mercy of the 3D Vendor
  4. The product piece price is so high, the run so custom, that 3D vendors don't do returns.
  5. 3D printing is still a bit of the wild west. Who knows how a new 3D printing vendor equipment, process or material will meet specification for product. We have opted to print and test and allow materials to be materials as boys will be boys. The variation between renderings will be noted, and the reasonable expectation is that the industry will self correct for increasing consistency and accuracy in material renderings. We are providing our 3D Printing vendors feedback in that regard.

Why am I doing this?
I have a passion for measuring performance objectively. That has lead me on a journey through DEs, to SEs, STR8s, and eventually to the R41 2011. I study every razor I find interesting. The R41 2011 was a game changer. It flips conventional wisdom upside down. But sadly the R41 2011, the greatest production razor ever made, was discontinued. Even when manufactured there was room for improvement as what made it great was, I believe, misunderstood. Wildsiding proved just one aspect of that. After much research Aimsport Razor Labs wrote a parametric model for a high performance Top Cap series called the C410. If this experiment succeeds financially, a baseplate will follow.

Someone mentioned the possibility of becoming a "thousandaire" converting a 2013 R41 to perform like a 2011. I doubt even being a "thousandaire" is possible given the smallness of the market. That poster must have been reading my e-mails, as this process has been underway for some time. This is a labor of love for friends, yes, that means you. To put it another way, breaking even is a long term goal.

We Need Your Input
To do this right we need your input on the performance of our products. Let us know what variations you would like to see come to market. Reviews and feedback will determine which products move on to the metal stage, including casting.

Final Thoughts
I have personally tested every design, including some that are in the queue, and I am confident that you will be excited as I am with performance. But this 3D printing territory is new. I am sure there will be things to learn. Please be gentle. Be an Early Adopter of this beta, but not if this is food money for you. Durability in wetshaving for some of these materials is untested. Expect failures. At some point we hope to accept pictures of your pile of Aimsport Razor Lab prototypes, and print a special edition in metal as a thank you for your participation as an Early Adopter.

I am looking forward to your input as that will inform the process of moving these products to other materials, including metals. Thank you.

3 285
 08-19-2014, 03:05 PM
User Info
Looks interesting to me, I'm a big fan of the R41, and can definitely see room for improvement. My only concern is the threads breaking off. How long does it take to get one after ordering?

2 51
 08-19-2014, 07:30 PM
User Info
(08-19-2014, 03:05 PM)Swarbt119 Wrote: Looks interesting to me, I'm a big fan of the R41, and can definitely see room for improvement. My only concern is the threads breaking off. How long does it take to get one after ordering?

Lead time is currently running about eight days plus shipping. Threads are stable in all versions tested including the Mk. I prototypes.

3 285
 08-20-2014, 08:50 AM
User Info
Is there a head that turns the 2011 into a 2013??

5 410
 08-20-2014, 10:31 AM
User Info
(08-20-2014, 08:50 AM)Johnus Wrote: Is there a head that turns the 2011 into a 2013??

Are you reading my mind or something? Stay tuned. It's a 2011 length, 2013 width top cap.

3 285
 08-20-2014, 01:39 PM
User Info
(08-20-2014, 08:50 AM)Johnus Wrote: Is there a head that turns the 2011 into a 2013??

C410c Lancaster Mk. 1

More info on spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

3 285
 08-20-2014, 01:55 PM
User Info
Looks like a great opportunity to customize and continue improving the shaving experience. I also like how you are offering a complete head in the future. How does the weight compare to plated pot metal?

47 1,270
 08-20-2014, 04:01 PM
User Info
(08-20-2014, 01:55 PM)kentclark Wrote: Looks like a great opportunity to customize and continue improving the shaving experience. I also like how you are offering a complete head in the future. How does the weight compare to plated pot metal?

In acrylic it's effectively weightless compared to metal. :-/ The focus is on shaving performance of the shape with the ultimate goal to add the benefits of metal to the design. Will publish all weight when we update spreadsheet with metal parts.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

3 285
 08-21-2014, 04:37 AM
User Info
The whole project sounds great. Possible metals aircraft aluminum or obviously stainless steel and even chrome over brass.

122 13,221
 08-21-2014, 09:34 AM
User Info
(08-21-2014, 04:37 AM)slantman Wrote: The whole project sounds great. Possible metals aircraft aluminum or obviously stainless steel and even chrome over brass.

Believe it or not, gold over brass is more commonly offered than chrome over brass.

I may be needing to find the very best chrome plating firms that know razors to chrome up a run of brass top caps. Any recommendations?

3 285
 08-21-2014, 10:02 AM
User Info
Congratulations on the venture and I wish you much success! Smile

83 21,115
 08-21-2014, 10:42 AM
User Info
How do you get involved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 58
 08-21-2014, 01:35 PM
User Info
(08-21-2014, 10:02 AM)celestino Wrote: Congratulations on the venture and I wish you much success! Smile

Thank you. If all that comes of this is that users with R41 2013s know they can drop in a C410k Hurricane top cap and improve their shaves, then so be it.

The economics of 3D printing is going to require 3D Print houses to sharpen their pencils before margins are even a tenth of what they are in typical manufacturing. So, at this point this is a labor of love. I am hoping for more, but setting my expectations appropriately.

Thanks again.

(08-21-2014, 10:42 AM)afd359 Wrote: How do you get involved

If and only if you have a little money to burn, buying the prototypes makes you an Early Adopter.

Giving feedback will help choose which model(s) go to metal. Early Adopters are eligible for the metal Beta. At some point, if this flies, I hope to put out a special limited edition for all Early Adopters. But you will need to keep your order confirmation e-mails... because I don't even know who my customers are. I just know the order number and the country. Yes, the world of 3D printing is a strange and wonderful place.

Read the original post here and visit the links. Order if it suits you. Stay tuned if it doesn't.

All the best.

3 285
 08-21-2014, 08:46 PM
User Info
Very interesting.

69 2,195
 08-22-2014, 03:36 AM
  • slr31
  • Garden City, India
User Info
(08-21-2014, 08:46 PM)cessnabird Wrote: Very interesting.

+1 very much indeed Jeremy. I am glued for any updates here.

83 561
 08-22-2014, 07:46 AM
User Info
I ordered both caps. Why not?! I'm not even a huge R41 fan, but I'm not going to pass up the opportunity to be a beta tester on a 3D printed razor cap!

0 76
 08-22-2014, 08:21 AM
User Info
Ordered the hurricane! Now what?

2 58
 08-22-2014, 04:17 PM
User Info
(08-22-2014, 08:21 AM)afd359 Wrote: Ordered the hurricane! Now what?

Plywood on the windows and go visit your Aunt more inland.

3 285
 08-22-2014, 04:36 PM
User Info
Hahaha

2 58
 08-23-2014, 11:51 AM
User Info
(08-22-2014, 07:46 AM)DrAwkward Wrote: I ordered both caps. Why not?! I'm not even a huge R41 fan, but I'm not going to pass up the opportunity to be a beta tester on a 3D printed razor cap!

Ditto here!

Aimsport, can you point me to good reference on how to go from measured or scanned product to a set of printing instructions?

I wish it were as simple as putting the item in a scanner, but I suspect it's not that easy...

18 194