08-19-2014, 12:38 PM
User Info
Hi gentlemen -

I wanted to ask if there is anyone who can give me a bit of information on the background of one or two particular Dovo stainless steel razors that have been on the market for a few years (or off the market, as the case may be), maybe since around 2009, according to what I've read. They are known as the "All Stainless", as they have stainless steel scales as well as a stainless steel blade (I'm sure you've seen them). There was a high-polished SS scale version (model number #4155845) released, which are impossible to find these days (at least in the US), and a more common "satin" or "matte" SS scale version (model number #4155846) which is still being sold, subject to stock availability, at several retailers in the US. That's really all I know about them. Specifically, why has the polished version become so scarce? Was it a European release only? Does anyone know where it is currently being sold, if at all? Thanks.

The polished:
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/do...-239178388

And the satin/matte:
[Image: 9cdbab1414645e8252214e36dd1fb4f9.image.539x550.jpg]

2 54
 08-19-2014, 05:37 PM
User Info
I used to own one with the satin or matte SS scales. I didn't know there was a version with polished SS scales. I thought this razor would be great due to the durable SS scales. However, the SS scales are too heavy. The result is a razor that is poorly balanced and too heavy towards the scales end. I ended up having mine put into new scales.

50 6,089
 08-19-2014, 06:12 PM
User Info
(08-19-2014, 05:37 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I used to own one with the satin or matte SS scales. I didn't know there was a version with polished SS scales. I thought this razor would be great due to the durable SS scales. However, the SS scales are too heavy. The result is a razor that is poorly balanced and too heavy towards the scales end. I ended up having mine put into new scales.

Hey Ricardo - Thanks for the post. I don't think many people ever did know that there was, at least at one time, a version with high-polished SS scales. As for the weight, I've read both opinions on that; one person was in love with the SS scales precisely because they were heavy, after using one of the celluloid Dovo "Best Quality" ones that are notorious for breaking if you open them wider than "two-thirds of a circle" (that is Jarrod Connerty's warning on his "Superior Shave" site). Conversely, someone else in another forum just posted a similar comment "If the scales are heavy the razor will torque away from you when you shave making use clumsy and forcing you to apply more pressure". According to Jarrod, they weigh in at about 62 grams, including the scales. The Buffalo Horn Dovo I have on the way, however, weighs in at about 43 grams, almost exactly 30% lighter. What kind of scales did you end up replacing them with? Any chance of a photo? I'd be interested in seeing what the blade looks like with different scales.

On that subject, does anyone else have an opinion on the weight of an SR? Is 62 grams extraordinarily heavy? What is the ideal weight of an SR? I've never even thought about it.

2 54
 08-20-2014, 04:44 AM
User Info
On that subject, does anyone else have an opinion on the weight of an SR? Is 62 grams extraordinarily heavy? What is the ideal weight of an SR? I've never even thought about it.

That depends on your hands as well as the razor size/grind and the physical volume of the scales. But on this razor it is definitely horribly handle-heavy; I loathe honing it, it is like a rigged carnival skill game. With these flat-sided scales standard full hollow 5/8s I'd wish to weight to be somewhere in the mid-40s, & with the "torpedo" shape more weight is more tolerable for me. The "en vogue" #105 is almost as heavy as the 415, but more tolerably balanced to me; though neither is good there, if I were forced to keep an en vogue as my only blade I would still continue to str8rzr shave, but with the 4155846 I'd move on in life.

The few Dovos with balance that's far from ideal for most hands; the bulbous-horn-handled 985850, the all-stainless 4155846, and the 3 "torpedo" shaped scales offerings ("Carpe Diem", #114583, and "en vogue", #10558*5, "*" changing for anthracite or ivory handle color). Maybe if one had huge hands I could conceive of preferring the three torpedo-scaled options, but with those other two I can't imagine anyone preferring for balance. Despite this, the novelty of the 985850 and 4155846 makes them quite liquid assets.

Lastly there is the "La Forme", which does not have poor balance but which has an ornate scale shape that could not be more annoying when stropping if it tried.

I've not seen a -55 version of the #415 & don't see it on our first price list from 2009 (which has a lot of cool dead blades upon it). But I don't doubt it was around at one time. In this case (last two catalog #s being "55"), that number would mean the handle was polished SS.

Dovo doesn't make much -55 stuff anymore, be it shears or grooming tools or razors or whatever. This is mostly for fashion choices of the consumer, satin finish is in much higher demand, but also because the satin finish (despite being more labor-intensive to produce) is better at hiding any flaws in the finish. A blank-faced blade with the -55 would look terrible most of the time, but the same in satin looks pretty good.

They're very rare, but there were -55 equivalent razors themselves out there when we started, the most recently deceased #s to hunt for the collector being 140583 (red-stained bone handle) and 140581 (grey-stained bone handle). I'd love to have one of those!

0 72
 08-20-2014, 08:26 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
(08-19-2014, 06:12 PM)wjosephsimmons Wrote:
(08-19-2014, 05:37 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I used to own one with the satin or matte SS scales. I didn't know there was a version with polished SS scales. I thought this razor would be great due to the durable SS scales. However, the SS scales are too heavy. The result is a razor that is poorly balanced and too heavy towards the scales end. I ended up having mine put into new scales.

Razor weights are as much a YMMV topic as any. For the 5/8 blades in my collection 62 grams is just above middle of the road. I have five DOVO 5/8 ranging from 69-71 grams. I enjoy the shaves from them and they hone just fine. On the other hand the Bergischer Lowe is a mere 43 grams but the blade itself seems unusually light. To me, it needs the light weight horn scales it comes with. I haven't tried a stainless scaled straight, not because of weight/balance, but because it is too utilitarian for my tastes. If not for modern health regulations restricting traditional straights, I think the SS scales would be perfect for a commercial setting.

0 631
 08-20-2014, 12:25 PM
User Info
(08-19-2014, 06:12 PM)wjosephsimmons Wrote: On that subject, does anyone else have an opinion on the weight of an SR? Is 62 grams extraordinarily heavy? What is the ideal weight of an SR? I've never even thought about it.

I don't think there is a perfect weight. For me, it's not about the weight in general, but the balance of the weight. A heavier blade can take heavier scales. Heavy scales on a light blade though .... usually not a good combo for me.

I have a Globusman with plastic scales and a CVH MK31 with natural Ivory both weighing in at 34g, and a Harner III 7/8 weighing in at 85g. Those are the lightest and heaviest I own. All are well balanced and that is the key.

129 6,685
 08-20-2014, 07:08 PM
User Info
(08-20-2014, 04:44 AM)kwigibocity Wrote: On that subject, does anyone else have an opinion on the weight of an SR? Is 62 grams extraordinarily heavy? What is the ideal weight of an SR? I've never even thought about it.

That depends on your hands as well as the razor size/grind and the physical volume of the scales. But on this razor it is definitely horribly handle-heavy; I loathe honing it, it is like a rigged carnival skill game. With these flat-sided scales standard full hollow 5/8s I'd wish to weight to be somewhere in the mid-40s, & with the "torpedo" shape more weight is more tolerable for me. The "en vogue" #105 is almost as heavy as the 415, but more tolerably balanced to me; though neither is good there, if I were forced to keep an en vogue as my only blade I would still continue to str8rzr shave, but with the 4155846 I'd move on in life.

The few Dovos with balance that's far from ideal for most hands; the bulbous-horn-handled 985850, the all-stainless 4155846, and the 3 "torpedo" shaped scales offerings ("Carpe Diem", #114583, and "en vogue", #10558*5, "*" changing for anthracite or ivory handle color). Maybe if one had huge hands I could conceive of preferring the three torpedo-scaled options, but with those other two I can't imagine anyone preferring for balance. Despite this, the novelty of the 985850 and 4155846 makes them quite liquid assets.

Lastly there is the "La Forme", which does not have poor balance but which has an ornate scale shape that could not be more annoying when stropping if it tried.

I've not seen a -55 version of the #415 & don't see it on our first price list from 2009 (which has a lot of cool dead blades upon it). But I don't doubt it was around at one time. In this case (last two catalog #s being "55"), that number would mean the handle was polished SS.

Dovo doesn't make much -55 stuff anymore, be it shears or grooming tools or razors or whatever. This is mostly for fashion choices of the consumer, satin finish is in much higher demand, but also because the satin finish (despite being more labor-intensive to produce) is better at hiding any flaws in the finish. A blank-faced blade with the -55 would look terrible most of the time, but the same in satin looks pretty good.

They're very rare, but there were -55 equivalent razors themselves out there when we started, the most recently deceased #s to hunt for the collector being 140583 (red-stained bone handle) and 140581 (grey-stained bone handle). I'd love to have one of those!

Thank you, Jarrod, for your most informative response. I may be wrong about when they were introduced; it may have been well before 2009, because there appears to be no less than three incarnations for the Model 4155846. The first had the "DOVO INOX" gold etching in a rectangle on the blade, identical to the Buffalo Horn Inox (Model 415855) that you recently sold on your site in June or July. The second had the scrolling artwork with "Solingen" added to the "Dovo Inox", but it was multicolored (the Solingen shield was in blue and the rest was gold). The newest version has the same artwork, but it is in silver monotone (laser?) etching. Also, the first two versions had the Dovo name stamped in relief on the shank, whereas the new ones have it laser-etched only. But then you are probably already aware of that!
PS - there's a Dovo 140583 ‘Redbone’ razor for sale on the bmvintageshaving.com website, if you're interested. Very expensive, though!

http://shop.bmvintageshaving.com/Dovo-St...V-1020.htm

2 54
 08-21-2014, 04:36 AM
User Info
there appears to be no less than three incarnations for the Model 4155846. The first had the "DOVO INOX" gold etching in a rectangle on the blade, identical to the Buffalo Horn Inox (Model 415855) that you recently sold on your site in June or July.

No, this is 41-5855, you just saw perhaps a mildly-different cosmetic variation on it. Dovo's numbering system's confusing to say the least; the "model number", in their head, is not the full collection of digits but rather some beginning to it, and they can have 1, 2, 3, or 4 digits on straight razors. The back end of the numbering is always 3 or 4 digits and refers to the handle; if only they'd employ significant digit zeroes.

#41 always has that "DOVO INOX" stuff on the face, a #41 printed near the tang (whereas 41558** will always have "415" written), and any of four handles.

The second had the scrolling artwork with "Solingen" added to the "Dovo Inox", but it was multicolored (the Solingen shield was in blue and the rest was gold). The newest version has the same artwork, but it is in silver monotone (laser?) etching.

Yes, we have had both versions. They're under constant backlog pressure so they switched to monochromatic scheme to maximize annual output.

Also, the first two versions had the Dovo name stamped in relief on the shank, whereas the new ones have it laser-etched only.

No more stamping production for Dovo, almost 3 years now, because it does occasionally cause enough bend to the blade that the piece must be discarded. Lasering isn't as cool, but it is at least as permanent (I've seen plenty of old blades which were stamped and somehow the stamping was becoming hard to read) and does not affect how true the blade is...the steel's not expensive, but the labor invested in that steel at the point a stamping would ruin it is, and they don't want to put in so much labor time on a unit not to have it sold when the current lead times have now crested well beyond 2 full years (in fact, Dovo has ceased accepting orders for straight razors until further notice!)

http://shop.bmvintageshaving.com/Dovo-St...V-1020.htm

If it were an older (STAMPED) piece in grey they'd have a deal, but red & I don't get along and the lasering just shows it to be a very modern 140.

0 72
 08-21-2014, 07:23 AM
User Info
(08-21-2014, 04:36 AM)kwigibocity Wrote: there appears to be no less than three incarnations for the Model 4155846. The first had the "DOVO INOX" gold etching in a rectangle on the blade, identical to the Buffalo Horn Inox (Model 415855) that you recently sold on your site in June or July.

No, this is 41-5855, you just saw perhaps a mildly-different cosmetic variation on it. Dovo's numbering system's confusing to say the least; the "model number", in their head, is not the full collection of digits but rather some beginning to it, and they can have 1, 2, 3, or 4 digits on straight razors. The back end of the numbering is always 3 or 4 digits and refers to the handle; if only they'd employ significant digit zeroes.

I saved a photo of the one I considered must have been an earlier version of the 4155846. It was advertised as a stainless steel-handled Dovo for sale, used, on eBay. I considered buying it. It looks like one, doesn't it?
Dovo Stainless Handle<script async src="https://embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

2 54
 08-21-2014, 01:53 PM
User Info
(08-21-2014, 07:23 AM)wjosephsimmons Wrote: I saved a photo of the one I considered must have been an earlier version of the 4155846. It was advertised as a stainless steel-handled Dovo for sale, used, on eBay. I considered buying it. It looks like one, doesn't it?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/19969170@N...otostream/

That is assuredly the blade face of #41 (not 415), so I'd be shocked if there wasn't a 41 printed somewhere on its body. Maybe @ one time they had a stainless handle option, or perhaps someone paired the two pieces post-production.

0 72