08-20-2014, 01:41 AM
User Info
When I got sick of the prices of cartridges and goop in a can, I went to electric. Enjoyed the Braun Series 7 and Philips Senso.

Years later, I got introduced and fell in love with wet shaving. Accumulated an arsenal of soaps, brushes, DEs and straight razors.

May rare items: Gillette toggle NOS, Iwasaki Tamahagane.. And others that are pricey: ATT, Wackers, Theirs Issard, Cobra.

Last night I did the unthinkable. I was really bored. I.. bought a Gillette Fusion Proglide.

I wanted to hate it. But I didn't. I really enjoyed it.

So am I on the edge of sacrilege? I mean, do I get to keep enjoying my soaps and brushes but start disliking my straights and beautiful DEs?

I still resent the price of Gillette cartridges. And the idea of a plastic razor. But man.. They shave really well.

1 182
 08-20-2014, 02:22 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
What do you need help with? You just found another tool in the wet shave kit and it works. There is a bit of prejudiced in the wet shaving community towards razors like the Gillette Fusion Proglide but that does not mean they don't work.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-20-2014, 03:18 AM
User Info
YMMV - enjoy your shave, no matter what your tool is.

I'm starting to think most cart-shavers would enjoy their morning routine more if they switched to brush and lather rather than canned go.

3 4,373
 08-20-2014, 04:49 AM
User Info
(08-20-2014, 03:18 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: YMMV - enjoy your shave, no matter what your tool is.

I'm starting to think most cart-shavers would enjoy their morning routine more if they switched to brush and lather rather than canned go.

Exactly.. I think what bothered me most was using the SAME canned goo every single morning and it's alcohol burn year over year, not so much the razor.

But also inherently the price of the carts was an incentive to move away. It was corporate thievery in plain light.

1 182
 08-20-2014, 05:12 AM
User Info
the prime importance should be given to the enjoyment. if you enjoy your shaves using proglide, stick to it !

1 495
 08-20-2014, 05:22 AM
User Info
Fear not purchasing a cartridge razor is not the worst thing in the world for wet shavers. It's the electric shavers that are bad. I use a Mach3 and really like it. In fact this week I lam using the little devil. It comes down to this, pick your poisonSmile

119 13,015
 08-20-2014, 09:04 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(08-20-2014, 03:18 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: YMMV - enjoy your shave, no matter what your tool is.

I'm thinking the sane thing about how much better shaving with a cart would be if you could wean new shavers off canned goo.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-20-2014, 02:43 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(08-20-2014, 03:18 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: I'm starting to think most cart-shavers would enjoy their morning routine more if they switched to brush and lather rather than canned go.

Well, yes. Mais naturellement.

I enjoy this forum, and the "other" shaving website, but there is a certain myth that appears too often in both, and it is is tiresome and annoying.

Usually the poster begins with a boast that his beard is so tough that he could never use a cartridge. That is followed by claims that the hair on his chest grows faster than anyone else's, and needs to be cut with industrial saws, but he gets extra income because the mown chest hair is abrasive enough to polish diamonds. And he never has breakfast cereal in the morning: he just pours a little moonshine over a bowl of nine-inch nails and chews them down.

Then he says that he did try a cartridge razor once in the dim past, and -- because everyone knows every cartridge razor is identical -- there was never any reason to try any other cartridge razor, ever.

The final act however, is his connection of cartridge razors with canned goo, and his unshakable conviction that canned goo never is, and never has been, used with any single-edge or double edge razor, ever, but always and inevitably is used by cartridge razor users.

Some myths never die.

0 1,049
 08-20-2014, 05:37 PM
User Info
The canned goo is indeed the worst part about regular cart shaving. As for the cart itself, I found that it worked much better after I learned how to shave properly with a DE. However, I still find carts rather boring.

0 76
 08-21-2014, 02:40 AM
User Info
(08-20-2014, 02:43 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote: The final act however, is his connection of cartridge razors with canned goo, and his unshakable conviction that canned goo never is, and never has been, used with any single-edge or double edge razor, ever, but always and inevitably is used by cartridge razor users.

Some myths never die.

Probably because some myths are based on what we experience when we speak to our co-workers and friends... or share a bathroom while on training and exercises.

Speaking as someone who used carts for years, but canned goo for only a fortnight, and as someone who has enabled several of my co-workers to make the switch... yes, I still think most cart shavers will enjoy their shaves better if they switched away from the canned goo.

Remember Mel; most != all. Most cart-shavers, at least in my experience, use canned goo - because canned goo is what they can easily get hold of, and/or they don't know whjere to buy brushes and good soap.

3 4,373
 08-21-2014, 03:10 AM
User Info
Irony: I don't remember how canned goo was like and tempted to give one a try. The horror would be to like it as well.

1 182
 08-21-2014, 03:33 AM
  • rxd
  • Ex-Lurker
User Info
I know this is heresy to say, but if it wasn't for the fact that the ingrown hair problem I've always had became a massive issue as I got older I'd still be using multiblade carts and disposables. They are certainly easier and give a real close shave. But my ingrown hair problem got totally out of control and really started to mess up my face.

0 5
 08-21-2014, 08:26 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(08-21-2014, 02:40 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Most cart-shavers, at least in my experience, use canned goo - because canned goo is what they can easily get hold of, and/or they don't know whjere to buy brushes and good soap.

My experience differs from yours. I have not conducted a formal survey, but in my informal discussions with other shavers, a slight majority of them use what they can buy at a local brick and mortar Kroger's or Walgreen's or Target, irrespective of whether they shave with a cartridge or a safety razor.

I do not subscribe to an equivalence theory that cartridge razor users are ipso facto ignorant, and therefore do not know where or how to purchase shaving soaps and brushes.

That there are safety razor users among those who use supermarket shaving foam despite that they often have to purchase their razor blades mail-order these days is probably due to: (1) the relative frequency of buying trips to the supermarket for other items, making goo purchases easier than blade purchases, and -- probably more importantly -- (2) women, wives, girlfriends, daughters, 99-44/100% of whom shave their legs in the shower with a cartridge razor that has a feminine name like "Venus" (ever hear of a DE razor called "Venus"?) and who never, ever, ever use a brush and shave soap for prep. So, because the can of goo is right there (well, in the shower), the guys end up using it, too.

As for cartridge razor users who use a good brush+soap/cream for prep, a majority of my friends with whom the subject has been broached in fact do just that. And I shaved exclusively with brush prep and cartridge razors for over 40 years, and I may return to cartridges -- still up in the air -- when my current 46-blade trial of DE shaving is completed sometime around New Year's 2015. But I have not used an aerosol foam since the late 1960s, and I seriously doubt that I ever shall do so again.

0 1,049
 08-21-2014, 10:13 AM
User Info
No harm in enjoying a good shave, no matter what you use.
Carts just don't work for me, but if you enjoy them, then keep using them! Smile

82 21,056
 08-21-2014, 10:47 AM
User Info
I went back to Fusions and Sensor Excel's for a while last winter. They are fine, quick and easy. I went back to DE shaving mostly because I had it. Variety is the spice of life. You sometimes have to try something new to show yourself you aren't stubborn.

Then I found the Feather AS-D2...

I really can't ever imagine going back to cartridge razors after experiencing this razor. Some other razors I had just didn't make my life easier. Fortunately no one who sees the razor for the first time know how much it costs! Anyway, you have to find what works for you. This is about having fun. If you just want to save money or boycott Gillette, well then I think you know your answer.

My dad uses a brush and a cartridge. DEs scare him. I suppose he had some rotten shaves as a youth. There is a reason that DE's haven't remained everyone's weapon of choice, and the reason is not every one of them gives a great shave. That and feather razor blades weren't put in every one!

2 58
 08-22-2014, 03:39 AM
User Info
We don't take kindly to your type around here.
*cracks his knuckles while gliding slowly off of his bar stool*

0 50
 08-22-2014, 03:43 AM
User Info
I guess the general sense, and consensus, is to keep all what we enjoy in rotation.

Loved the fusion shave the day before yesterday and just finished enjoying a Cobra a few minutes ago.

The tip that fusions are great for trips and/or when too much in a hurry sounds about right.

What's not about to change is that I also think the best BBS shave will always be my ATT R2.

1 182
 08-22-2014, 06:10 AM
User Info
Some of the closest shaves I ever had were with the Fusion Pro-glide. However, I was an "as needed" shaver. Maybe every 8-10 days? Only when really necessary. If I shaved two days in a row, that's when trouble started; in-growns, redness, irritation, etc.
The product is functional and if you have really tough skin, it can work for you.
IMO, I would shave with whatever product meets YOUR needs, not others'. Enjoy.

39 3,875