11-11-2018, 07:59 AM
User Info
I use an Aeropress. It makes sorta espresso. Better than Starbucks. I fill my travel mug 1/2 with hot water and then squeeze my Areopress into that. Gets me to work and then it's bad office coffee the rest of the day.

0 121
 11-16-2018, 05:02 PM
User Info
(11-11-2018, 07:59 AM)MrWonderful Wrote: I use an Aeropress. It makes sorta espresso. Better than Starbucks. I fill my travel mug 1/2 with hot water and then squeeze my Areopress into that. Gets me to work and then it's bad office coffee the rest of the day.

That sounds like an Americano. An Aeropress isn’t espresso any more than the French press coffee that I make for myself. In fact, Mokka Pot coffee isn’t espresso either. I add frothed milk to my French press coffee for a nice cafe au lait.

2 350
 08-22-2019, 01:09 PM
User Info
Hey there!

I would like to buy a coffee machine, I can't decide between Rancilio and Gaggia. I was reading a lot about them, I found a page which explains it pretty well but I would like to hear from you, I am sure you talk about the issues more sincerely. Thank you

0 1
 08-22-2019, 10:34 PM
User Info
(08-22-2019, 01:09 PM)Abie 28 Wrote: Hey there!

I would like to buy a coffee machine, I can't decide between Rancilio and Gaggia. I was reading a lot about them, I found a page which explains it pretty well but I would like to hear from you, I am sure you talk about the issues more sincerely. Thank you

I'm no expert but I did do a fair amount of research to decide on a home espresso machine and decided on something far more expensive.  But in doing that research I found that one of the most important aspects of a machine is the boiler.  Rancilio has a larger brass boiler and the Gaggia's is smaller and aluminum.  The other issue is control of the temperature which they seem to be even.  My only suggestion on temperature is that a PID can help control the temp.  I believe the Rancilio can be bought with a PID or there are shops that will add it, which I understand is quite common for this machine.  You'll pay more for the Rancilio but I think you will end up with a better machine.  My two cents, which is probably worth a half a penny.

2 350
 08-23-2019, 06:46 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
The Ranchillo Sylvia with a PID Is a good starting point. she is a real taskmaster. But once she is tamed you will be on your way to being a barista. More important than the espresso machine is the grinder. Sylvia pairs well with the Ranchillo Rocky. Good entry pair. Do not skimp on the grinder. Rocky or it's equal is the bare minimum you will need.

99 1,247
 08-23-2019, 06:56 AM
User Info
(08-23-2019, 06:46 AM)Barrylu Wrote: The Ranchillo Sylvia with a PID Is a good starting point. she is a real taskmaster. But once she is tamed you will be on your way to being a barista. More important than the espresso machine is the grinder. Sylvia pairs well with the Ranchillo Rocky. Good entry pair. Do not skimp on the grinder. Rocky or it's equal is the bare minimum you will need.

I totally agree with Barrylu.  The grinder may be even more important than the espresso machine.  Dialing in the proper setting for your espresso is key to making good espresso.  Or any form of brewed coffee.  The Rocky is a good suggestions.  I have a Baratza Virtuoso but bought it because it excels at the larger grinds needed for french press.  For espresso I would also consider the Baratza Vario.  With any of these machines and some freshly roasted beans and you'll be a barista in no time.

2 350
 08-27-2019, 09:58 PM
User Info
(08-23-2019, 06:46 AM)Barrylu Wrote: The Ranchillo Sylvia with a PID Is a good starting point. she is a real taskmaster. But once she is tamed you will be on your way to being a barista. More important than the espresso machine is the grinder. Sylvia pairs well with the Ranchillo Rocky. Good entry pair. Do not skimp on the grinder. Rocky or it's equal is the bare minimum you will need.

Rather than a Rancilio Silvia I went with a Crossland CC1 when I was starting out on espresso. It comes stock with a PID and also a shot timer and preinfusion. Another perk is that with a thermoblock steamer it is a little slower than the Silvia for milk but the boiler doesn't have to heat up so you can steam milk and be ready for brewing faster. I really enjoyed the machine and only sold it when I upgraded to an E61 heat exchanger.

Either way you need to be ready to buy a decent grinder, like a Baratza Vario / Sette at a minimum.

Also, for convenience and pretty basic espresso needs, I have actually been satisfied with the Jura superautomatics that I've tried. It's all about the beans of course, and you don't get to experiment, but they'll still beat Starbucks IMO.

6 1,088
 08-27-2019, 10:19 PM
User Info
I’ve been using a Kinu m47 traveler, which has served me quite well 

[Image: 922eae72620735.5bed62334bb03.jpg]

36 1,901