05-21-2012, 10:36 AM
User Info

I wanted the maiden voyage to be an All-American, so I went with the Dirty Bird scuttle, some of Ginger's Garden unscented tallow from the recent test batch, and some vintage Old Spice from before P&G sent production to Canada. The Ever-Ready was restored by me with a TGN finest knot, and you can tell I didn't do the cleanest work on it. The Tradere was loaded with the included Personna Super, which appears to be identical to what I've ordered in the past as Lab Preps.

First impressions are that this is one fine piece of art. I'm two shaves in now, with the first much better than the second. The aggression is there, but not in an unruly or intimidating way. The blade gap is close to a 4 on the Merkur Progress, but with a different degree of flex. It also has much more of the blade exposed to view just looking down at the top cap. This guy just requires a much shallower angle than I am used to, and the enclosed end caps make it harder to really observe the blade flex and angle as I can with my other razors. I intend to put up a more fleshed out review, but this razor is extremely promising in the early days.

3 195
 05-21-2012, 10:48 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
This is a good idea. I hope all that have purchased the Tradere Razor will post their reviews and pictures in this thread. It will make it a lot easier to keep up with all of them.

Thanks for the idea.

173 23,546
 05-21-2012, 11:24 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Good idea indeed. Stuck the thread for the review cycle. Smile

35 2,703
 05-21-2012, 11:34 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Good idea Billy. Thanks for "sticking" around.Biggrin

173 23,546
 05-21-2012, 07:48 PM
User Info
Looking forward to more reviews of that fine razor!

75 20,883
 05-23-2012, 08:13 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
A review will be coming from me when I receive the razor and shave with it. Gut feeling tells me it will be an impressive razor with a superb shave, but let us wait and see.

132 2,614
 05-25-2012, 05:42 AM
User Info
I received my Tradere OC razor yesterday.

When I opened the box, I was immediately impressed with the finish and build quality of the razor - it isn't a stretch to say that you'd be really hard-pressed to find a razor built better than this. Two thumbs up here! Cool

The blade insertion was easy, the blade was properly aligned and the razor felt wonderful in the hand. So I was looking forward to this morning's shave.

Built up a really nice lather using Frasers Original and my GYLE. Started on the shave itself.

This is where it started to go wrong. Sad

The razor was nicely balanced, but the handle was too long for me. It was very hard to find an appropriate shave-angle (maybe because it's very different from what I usually use). Once found, the shave still wasn't comfortable. It cut hair, but I'd rather have been using some other razor, to be honest.

Where I think it went wrong for me is the fact that the blade is not bent, when the head is screwed on. I like aggressive razors - see my review of the Mariner. I like razors with large exposed portions of the blade - like the Futur and Vision. What my skin really cannot handle is when the blade is not curved in the head. Both the Muhle R41 (2011) and the Tradere fail here.

I thought maybe I had a dull blade. It was a new Astra SS, which I consider to be a middle of the road blade. So I removed it and put it in the Mariner, and the shave was immediately better, so it wasn't the blade.

I am willing to work a bit to get a razor to work for me, so I'll be giving this a chance. I'll try different blades and adjust my technique. Still, if it doesn't respond in a few shaves, this may be headed for the BST.

As a comparison, I've only used the NYSC Mariner thrice. It is an aggressive shaver, with a pretty significant blade overhang. This razor felt 'right' from the moment I picked it up, and the shaves have been brilliant since then. Great shave - no effort.

The Tradere is lovely enough to justify some time spent trying to make it work for me, but I can see this being a work of art razor for me - nice to look at, but not much use in the shaving dept.

----------------

This is a personal review. It didn't work on the first shave for me. It obviously does work for other people, so this is a fine razor for them.

I don't know what it is about my hair/skin combination that makes razors like the Tradere and the 2011 R41 not work for me (thought I feel it might be the flat blade). I have thick hair and a thick growth, but my skin is not particularly sensitive. I was able to get comfortable shaves from the R41, but it was not a razor that I liked much. Maybe the Tradere will improve with time.

Otherwise, there's always the BST! Wink

37 1,731
 05-25-2012, 09:52 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
As for me I love this razor ...gives a smooth shave (for Me)..love the build quality and especially like the handle...fits my hand like it was custom built from a mold...and as usual each to their own. My take on reviews. #1. We should try the products for at least one week ...every day..minimum before commenting . Most of us have so many razors we hardly get to know them before we buy another one.Almost any razor will give a decent shave once you play with it a bit and really get to USE it.For most of us this is true. I venture to say many of us have razors we have never used more than once. At any rate I really like this razor and have been using it since I got it..probably put the other 165 up for sell soon....except my 6 Merkur Progress variations..which I also like...and a few Museum Art pieces..(customs)and to end.."different strokes for different folks" so on my razor evaluation scale 10 out of 10 I am very happy with this razor SmileSmileSmile

6 1,913
 05-25-2012, 10:07 AM
User Info
Harvey-

You have a point about giving a razor time before making any decisions on it. That's exactly what I intend to do.

However, I feel that a progress report from first use onwards until a decision is made has it's use in a review section. Especially for a new razor design.

Let's say I slowly change my mind about this razor. That will be recorded here. So my reviews will say that -

A) I hated it when I started off
B) I changed my mind about it (and probably what caused me to change my mind)

This is useful information. As we can see in the reviews posted on this razor, there are plenty of reviews where people have started praising the razor after the first use. I'm just pointing out that that's not the way it went down for me.

Also, things like saying that the handle is too long for my tastes is based on having many razors over the years and never liking these long handles. So, for me long heavy handles don't work. I know this, and that's unlikely to change.

To be honest, I really want this razor to work for me. It is beautiful, and I'd love to have it as a permanent part of my den. I'll give it a go, and I hope it improves on further acquaintance. If it does, it will have done so after starting out making a horrible first impression.

So far, I have never failed to get a razor to work well for me. That doesn't mean that I wanted those razors in my den permanently, some were just too much hassle to be kept around - the Vision with it's gunking-up issues, the R41 with its touchy shave, etc. I hope the Tradere doesn't fall in that category.

As we all know, YMMV. We can't expect even something this well made and this lovely to work for everyone.

37 1,731
 05-25-2012, 10:23 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Well said...everyone has different reasons for trying a razor and everyone expects different results...best of all many of the razors one can switch handles and create our own CUSTOM hybrids...and consider this...do we want a real cure for R.A.D....what would we do with our time and money.....so in the interest of the world economy...Keep trying and buying...do not I repeat..DO NOT find a cure for our addictive conditions!!!!!!!TongueTongueTongue

6 1,913
 05-25-2012, 11:24 AM
User Info
(05-25-2012, 10:23 AM)Harvey Wrote: Well said...everyone has different reasons for trying a razor and everyone expects different results...best of all many of the razors one can switch handles and create our own CUSTOM hybrids...and consider this...do we want a real cure for R.A.D....what would we do with our time and money.....so in the interest of the world economy...Keep trying and buying...do not I repeat..DO NOT find a cure for our addictive conditions!!!!!!!TongueTongueTongue

Logically, I'd say yes, but really..........................no! Luckily, that's never going to happen!Wink

37 1,731
 05-25-2012, 04:59 PM
User Info
I ordered my Tradere razor from Phil at Bullgoose.
I ordered it on Thursday and it was here in NH the following Monday.

Razor dimensions:
Head (w) 1 3/4 inches
Handle (L) 3 3/4
Overall (L) 4

I do not have a balance so I can not offer the weight

For comparisons sake this is a pic of the Ikon OSS (LH), the Weber ARC (Mid) and the Tradere (RH)

Impressions:
This razor is a beauty. Up till now the Ikon OSS was the most impressive razor for fit and finish. This is in a class above that high standard. Both my wife and daughter called it "gorgeous". I have to agree. The head is wide enough to cover the blade completely. It looks very nice due to this.

It feels good in my hand. I prefer a larger handle and a beefy razor. This fits the bill.

Shaving:
In a word - Fantastic. I used Feathers,
israeli Personna and an Astra. I got a close comfortable shave with little effort. I found I do have to be careful around my chin. The razor has a nice aggressiveness. Much more than the OSS and slightly more than the Weber. But nothing to fear.

Negatives:
Only one. The closed end caps make it hard for me to add a new blade. The ends of the blade are can not be held to guide the blade into place. It makes the process a little tricky.

Overall:
Prior to this I got the best shaves from my Merkur Mergress. I change the setting frequently to get as close as possible w/o cutting myself.

My "go to" razor is my Weber ARC. Almost as good a shave as the Mergress with no thought nor effort on my part.I use it the most of all my razors.

The Tradere has surpassed them both. I get an excellent shave - as good as the Mergress but without the effort I give the Mergress.
Shaving with the Tradere is not as carefree as the Weber but almost.

I would recommend this razor whole heartedly.

Phil

7 363
 05-25-2012, 06:21 PM
User Info
I received my Tradere razor yesterday and had my first shave today.
The fit and finish is superb and I was anxious to use it. I used an Astra blade and since I am somewhat new to this, I did not push it. Two passes at a somewhat shallow angle and I was done. A DFS and in some places a BBS. The razor balanced well in my hands and the shave was very comfortable. I will shave with it for a week and increase the angles with every shave. At this point I can say that I am very happy with it.

0 64
 05-26-2012, 08:00 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
With the first pass I was almost at a DFS. Went back for the second and immediately noticed some irritation to my neck and then it went from bad to worse... I cut my chin of all places! I haven't bled for at least the duration of this and most of last year. I declined a third pass! I think the weight and predominately the handle length may have thrown me off my game? I found the razor to be effective and I've never previously had a troublesome shave with Super Iridiums (which is what I used with it). I'll reserve my judgement until after a few more shaves. I will try it tomorrow with an Ikon bulldog handle to see if that impacts at all. It is a beautiful razor. I love the finish and build of the head. The handle is longer than what I'd usually choose. IMO this influences performance. The razor is also much heavier than what I've been using recently, which may have also influenced my experience...

91 17,856
 05-26-2012, 08:37 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Nice reviews. Lets keep the line movingSmile

100 12,447
 05-26-2012, 08:47 AM
User Info
Second shave with this DE was this morning. It was much, much better.

I first spent some time playing with the shaving angle (without a blade), just to get an idea of what the razor was dictating. The I popped in a new Red IP and started shaving.

It was a really good shave this time. I guess my shaving angle yesterday was not correct. It was a close shave - took my usual 3+ passes, but it was nice. The only time I had any problems was when I went ATG on my upper lip - angle was wrong again.

The handle is not to my tastes....too heavy and too long. I swapped it out mid-shave for a lighter handle, and it was immediately a more comfortable feeling. I think this razor should be offered with a shorter handle as an option for people who don't care for over-heavy, over-long handles.

Otherwise this was a nice shave. It still doesn't match the comfort of the razors that I really like (like the Mariner), but it is certainly getting better. If my shaves improve as my technique adjusts to this design, then maybe it will hit the top of my DE razor lists. Smile

37 1,731
 05-26-2012, 08:51 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-26-2012, 08:47 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Second shave with this DE was this morning. It was much, much better.

I first spent some time playing with the shaving angle (without a blade), just to get an idea of what the razor was dictating. The I popped in a new Red IP and started shaving.

It was a really good shave this time. I guess my shaving angle yesterday was not correct. It was a close shave - took my usual 3+ passes, but it was nice. The only time I had any problems was when I went ATG on my upper lip - angle was wrong again.

The handle is not to my tastes....to heavy and too long. I swapped it out mid-shave for a lighter handle, and it was immediately a more comfortable feeling. I think this razor should be offered with a shorter handle as an option for people who don't care for over-heavy, over-long handles.

Otherwise this was a nice shave. It still doesn't match the comfort of the razors that I really like (like the Mariner), but it is certainly getting better. If my shaves improve as my technique adjusts to this design, then maybe it will hit the top of my DE razor lists. Smile

I agree with your comment regarding the handle (the too long part anyway, the razor has an overall heavy feel to it IMO).

Tomorrow I'll use the Tradere head with an Ikon handle.

I'll experiment further with the angle too!

91 17,856
 05-26-2012, 11:06 AM
User Info
Thanks for the honest reviews, gentlemen. i am getting one in soon and i look forward to trying it out!

75 20,883
 05-26-2012, 11:17 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Some further thoughts in regards to my first experience with the Tradere.

[attachment=2483]

Firstly I would like to compliment Richard on a fine razor.
The finish and craftsmanship are superb.

Recently the majority of my shaving has been with a Muhle R101 (2010)
and it has required little or no concentration on my part.
I regularly include a FaTip and Joris in my rotation
and am careful to handle them with a little more respect.

When I picked up the Tradere I knew straight away it was much heavier than the razors I'm currently using,
however I neglected to pay attention to that weight and still applied a certain degree of pressure,
something that IMO longer handles also accentuate.

In short I don't think I expected the razor to be as effective as it was.

My first pass was better than some 3 passes with other OC razors in my collection.

My surprise and confidence is what most likely led to my mishap with the razor.

[attachment=2485]

I need to pay more attention to the angle I'm using
as it is a little different to what I've recently grown accustomed to.

I'm sure I'm going to love this razor's performance
as much as I do admire it's aesthetics.

My comment about handle length is purely personal preference.

I cannot fault this razor, only my technique with its first use.

[attachment=2484]

91 17,856
 05-26-2012, 11:48 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Great pictures and thoughts Ben. I may have to seriously consider one of these.

173 23,546