08-22-2014, 09:01 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Just had my first shave this morning with Simpsons Manchurian. This was my first try ever and I have nothing to compare it to, as I have only used best, 2-band, super from Simpsons. So my question is this...
Dry brush is really firm with strong backbone and soft tips. On my face when wet, I feel individual hair and a little prickly scritches. Is this normal? Will it go away once fully broken in?

88 4,233
 08-22-2014, 09:14 AM
User Info
Sounds correct to me.

9 3,025
 08-22-2014, 09:16 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(08-22-2014, 09:14 AM)asharperrazor Wrote: Sounds correct to me.

Correct and will stay the same and normal?

88 4,233
 08-22-2014, 09:43 AM
User Info
From what I've read, the Manchurian should soften up nicely after 4 or 5 lathers.

I hand lathered mine a few times before I first used it, haven't noticed any scritch.

52 1,176
 08-22-2014, 09:59 AM
User Info
I respectfully disagree David. My CH3 Manchurian continues to have a bit of scritch after many, many uses. It's not bad, but it's completely different from my CH2 2-Band Silvertip.

39 3,879
 08-22-2014, 10:03 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(08-22-2014, 09:59 AM)primotenore Wrote: I respectfully disagree David. My CH3 Manchurian continues to have a bit of scritch after many, many uses. It's not bad, but it's completely different from my CH2 2-Band Silvertip.

I believe you, but I really don't wanna Confused

88 4,233
 08-22-2014, 10:03 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
I have 2 Simpsons Manchurian and 1 more on the way. It took 5-6 shaves to break them in and they really soften up.

28 1,620
 08-22-2014, 10:08 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I have an Emperor 3 in Manchurian. I was amazed at how much scritch it had. I was going to sell it immediately. It took 10 or 12 shaves to start to break in. It's much better now but still not one of my favorites. I might sell it some day. On the other hand the M6 has much less scritch than the Emperor had. I have high hopes for it. It may take 6 or more shaves to break in though

68 1,047
 08-22-2014, 10:09 AM
User Info
The Manchurian and 2-Band hairs are totally different. My first experience of Simpson 2-Band over the past two weeks is of immediate softness and zero scritch. The Manchurian, on the other hand, is of less softness but more scrub.
Having used several Manchurians over the past two years, I have found variation. The brushes I purchased two years ago were pretty much scritch free, just like this M6. However, the Ebony CH2 bought not so long ago was fairly scritchy until fairly recently, having now been used around 20 times. You should notice the tips of the Manchurian hair curling after several uses, and softness/scritch does improve.

31 5,282
 08-22-2014, 11:07 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
That's correct, after some bit of use the tips of the Manchurian hair begin to curl and it gets softer in essence. It does vary with frequency of use but it will happen. As for all of the scritch disappearing it may not, but its a high probability it will lessen as all the examples of this hair type I have all been scrubby more than scritchy.

35 1,329
 08-22-2014, 11:20 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Just got finished trying mine for the first time. I have been using the Beehive and have been very pleased with it. Right out of the box it lathers beautifully but gives up it lather a bit begrudgingly. However just a bit more soap on the brush and that problem was solved. The Bee hive may make the inner circle of my favorites.
The M6 lathers easier and gives up it's lather better than does the Beehive. The backbone and tips are a bit stiffer than the Beehive but not too stiff. Just a little stiffer than I am used to. The M6 seems to be the perfect cross over brush. It should be equally at home for face lathering as for bowl lathering.After a bit of breaking in this brush should become a keeper or hopefully also enter the favorite circle.

68 1,047
 08-22-2014, 11:47 AM
User Info
It has some scritch, but not a ton of scratch. If I use some brushes they make my face raw. Not the manchurian. As well it holds a good bit of water. Your experiences sound about right.

2 58
 08-22-2014, 02:27 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Some scritch will remain. Batches vary though and loft plays a big role in facefeel. The Jubilee is more giving with a higher loft and less dense.
M6 feels much like the XL2 in Manchurian I also own.

35 1,808
 08-22-2014, 02:27 PM
User Info
My experience is that Manchurian is a hair that needs breaking in. I recommend you palm later it every other day and in two weeks the tips will curl and they'll be heaps of scrub but no scritch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 167
 08-22-2014, 03:22 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Not going to lie, it was unexpected. I do hope it will soften up with use, I intent to give it lots of lathers before making my decision on keeping it.

88 4,233
 08-22-2014, 03:48 PM
  • Woodeks
  • Space coast, Florida
User Info
Man! I must be crazy. My Manchurian M6 - out of the box, has zero scritch. Same with my Jubilee. To me...... The firmness, lack of scritch and slight scrub, of these knots is second to none. My M&F blondes even have less softness, but have the same scrub - to me. Not a bad thing.
I can feel the M&F tips through the soap, slightly scrub (not scritch), where I can't with the Simpsons Manchurians.

I've GOT to get a thicker Simpsons Manchurian knot. These things are amazing!

10 104
 08-22-2014, 03:48 PM
User Info
My M6 came yesterday and was used today the first time. The hair, dry as well as wet reminds me very much of Shavemac D01 two-band hair. No scritch with mine.

0 170
 08-22-2014, 03:58 PM
  • Julyan
  • The Hague,The Netherlands
User Info
mine had a tiny bit of scritch on first use but nothing to worry about far and far less then my vie-long natural white horse hair (50/50). i dont expect it to be a problem

0 82
 08-22-2014, 04:06 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Like anything else, and although one can find a few definitions out there, the feelings usually described as "scrub" or "scritch" are somewhat a YMMV thing... it depends on what you actually consider to be scrub or scritch, personal preferences, the sensitivity of your skin, etc.

I can't speak of the M6 because I have yet to receive mine, but none of my other two Manchurians - the Jubilee and the CH3 - have (what I consider to be) scritch, but they do have different degrees of scrub, which I feel can not be exclusively attributed to the different densities and knot sizes, but also concern the actual batch of hair used - something that is perfectly normal when we're talking about a natural product as is badger hair.

26 4,896
 08-22-2014, 05:11 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I don't mind scrub at all, my tastes changed towards a firmer brush and that is all I use now. With this M^ though, I can definitely feel a little pricks from individual hairs.

88 4,233