08-23-2014, 10:29 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Many of us enjoy the process of the Shave and selecting various scents,soaps and razors to make the experience more enjoyable.Sometime when you use an aggressive razor you don,t need to shave as often...which is either good or bad depending on you needs. However by using a mild razor you can shave every day and just enjoy the relaxation of this art.Something to consider when you realize the effect of an Super aggressive remove every hair razor.In other words the Feather AS-1 can still be a fun tool because you can use it as often as you like....at any rate just a thought for consideration.Smile

6 2,028
 08-23-2014, 10:41 AM
User Info
(08-23-2014, 10:29 AM)Harvey Wrote: Many of us enjoy the process of the Shave and selecting various scents,soaps and razors to make the experience more enjoyable.Sometime when you use an aggressive razor you don,t need to shave as often...which is either good or bad depending on you needs. However by using a mild razor you can shave every day and just enjoy the relaxation of this art.Something to consider when you realize the effect of an Super aggressive remove every hair razor.In other words the Feather AS-1 can still be a fun tool because you can use it as often as you like....at any rate just a thought for consideration.Smile

I agree.

Yet the Feather AS-1 could not remotely remove even 1 day stubbles in a satisfactory way.

The Feather AS-2 was a step better, yet still too mild for my taste.

I now have sold all my DE razors and am back to using Gillette carts in one of my 3 Plisson Fusion handles and when I have extra time once a week, I use my Feather Artist Club Straight Japanese handled razor for a truely great close DFS/BBS shave.

But I understand your point of views.

24 5,971
 08-23-2014, 11:34 AM
User Info
Well made point, Harvey! I, too, am enjoying a 'mild' razor in my Weber DLC. Biggrin

83 21,081
 08-24-2014, 07:59 PM
User Info
I'm onboard with this, and thinking of keeping my Feather (AS D2) for this purpose. It doesn't finish the job, but also doesn't come close to causing any damage. I still get to shave, use a fun soap / brush and hear the sound of the blade working. Awesome!

192 1,588
 08-24-2014, 08:15 PM
User Info
well i use medium aggressive razors like parkers and slants but can shave on alternate days only. i miss the thrills of daily shaving. sometimes this thought comes to my mind - is a smoother razor like ASD2 my answer ?

1 495
 08-24-2014, 08:38 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I would say "probably"...think of your razors as tools....reach for the one that does the job best for the task at hand....try a "milder' razor and see what happens or get a close shave with your favorite and then the next day shave again with the "milder" razor....think of it like a science project.....at any rate this system does let you shave every day if you like that concept.

6 2,028
 08-24-2014, 08:55 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Ai Celestino, I consider a Weber an aggressive razor!

Harvey, my skin is so sensitive that I have to use a mild razor and I still can't shave every day.Huh
I keep an aggressive razor around, like a Weber, for occasional, very careful use.

- Murray

4 1,150
 08-25-2014, 08:21 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Most people think the Feather AS D-1 is the mildest razor ever made

6 2,028
 08-25-2014, 08:33 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Good point, Harvey.

In my case, a mild razor fits the bill for a second 'touch up' evening shave, when needed.

102 18,652
 08-25-2014, 10:27 AM
User Info
(08-24-2014, 08:55 PM)CMur12 Wrote: Ai Celestino, I consider a Weber an aggressive razor!

Harvey, my skin is so sensitive that I have to use a mild razor and I still can't shave every day.Huh
I keep an aggressive razor around, like a Weber, for occasional, very careful use.

- Murray

I'm with you. I don't have a super thick beard so I don't NEED to shave every day if I don't want to, but I wish I could sometimes. I took an aggressive acne drug called Accutane in high school that I think has left my face overly dry and sensitive in my adult years. In the back of my mind, I have to wonder if its the primary reason my face objects to daily shaving.

16 249
 08-25-2014, 10:35 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(08-25-2014, 08:33 AM)Agravic Wrote: Good point, Harvey.

In my case, a mild razor fits the bill for a second 'touch up' evening shave, when needed.

YES!!!!!...that is the answer...Shave at least 2 times a day...we need this Cave time...it is our right...leave us be...even if we don,t put a blade in...just use the razor and soap and all the other stuff.....they won,t know...we can say it is part of our daily grooming....brilliant...should have thought of this before.....Smile

6 2,028
 08-28-2014, 06:59 AM
User Info
I keep mild razors around because I simply want to use one every once in a while. For me a mild DE razor is a Gillette single ring, pre '21 (is that the pivotal year?).

Another reason, at least in SE flavor, is to "break in" a new GEM SS blade. 4-5 shaves with a new blade tames it a bit before it goes into a more aggressive razor.

32 6,460
 08-28-2014, 08:39 AM
User Info
As someone who has to shave daily, it's nice to be able to step down to something milder if I happen to irritate my skin. I can still look presentable while giving my face a bit of a break.

0 1,072
 08-28-2014, 10:13 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I have to shave 5 to 6 days a week because of work. I've discovered that an 89 or a Red Tip is as far as I can go and I usually save them for Monday morning. All other days, I use a Feather D2 or a Tech.

Another thing I found to help minimize irritation is to use a synthetic brush a couple of times a week. Sometimes, it's the brush more than the razor that causes burns. Especially if you're rushing in the mornings. At least in my case.

2 286
 08-29-2014, 01:39 PM
User Info
(08-28-2014, 10:13 PM)Karlo Wrote: I have to shave 5 to 6 days a week because of work. I've discovered that an 89 or a Red Tip is as far as I can go and I usually save them for Monday morning. All other days, I use a Feather D2 or a Tech.

Another thing I found to help minimize irritation is to use a synthetic brush a couple of times a week. Sometimes, it's the brush more than the razor that causes burns. Especially if you're rushing in the mornings. At least in my case.

I hadn't considered that my brush might be an issue. Perhaps I should consider getting a synthetic.

0 1,072
 08-29-2014, 07:25 PM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
Absolutely right...whatever lets you enjoy a quality shave every day. Just like the song goes

BiggrinBiggrin

0 567
 09-04-2014, 02:34 PM
User Info
I got the Muhle Silvertip Fibre v2 when they first came out, purely as a curiosity as I'd never tried a synthetic before, and now it's the only brush I use. Very kind to the skin on the face.

There was a slight learning curve related to water retention vs. animal brushes, but it didn't take long to figure it out. And that thing makes lather like crazy. They're also great for travel. I highly recommend getting one.

0 9
 09-04-2014, 08:07 PM
  • geneb
  • Houston, Texas
User Info
I have 2 Schick Kronas and 1 Gillette Tech for a mild shave with a sharp blade. I am beginning to prefer this setup over the much more aggressive R89, 34C HD or Weber PH. I tend to shave too closely with the more aggressive shavers. The Kronas are too mild while the Tech is just right.

I can easily get 2 very pleasant shaves per day with the Tech loaded with a Personna Lab or Polsilver SI. My skin seemed to improve also.

0 12
 09-04-2014, 08:33 PM
User Info
When I have concentration for 3 full passes and maybe some touch-ups, and keeping a consistent angle, I prefer a mild razor. It takes a bit of leisure, but I can get a BBS and fear no irritation.

It seems to me that it takes just as much skill for either a mild or aggressive razor. An aggressive razor requires more attention to (lack of) pressure, a mild razor takes more attention to consistency with a near-perfect angle.

Shaving "badly" with an aggressive razor will lead to nicks and/or irritation; shaving "badly" with a mild razor will lead to too many whiskers left. (And, if compensating for that, I use too many passes or start adding too much pressure, then a lot of irritation might ensue, too).

7 315
 09-04-2014, 11:26 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
(09-04-2014, 08:07 PM)geneb Wrote: I have 2 Schick Kronas and 1 Gillette Tech for a mild shave with a sharp blade. I am beginning to prefer this setup over the much more aggressive R89, 34C HD or Weber PH. I tend to shave too closely with the more aggressive shavers. The Kronas are too mild while the Tech is just right.

I can easily get 2 very pleasant shaves per day with the Tech loaded with a Personna Lab or Polsilver SI. My skin seemed to improve also.

The Kronas are milder than a Gillette Tech? (I didn't think it got any milder than the Tech, but I have never tried a Krona.) Is your Tech, by any chance, an early (and more aggressive) one with the triangular slots?

(09-04-2014, 08:33 PM)wagstaff Wrote: When I have concentration for 3 full passes and maybe some touch-ups, and keeping a consistent angle, I prefer a mild razor. It takes a bit of leisure, but I can get a BBS and fear no irritation.

It seems to me that it takes just as much skill for either a mild or aggressive razor. An aggressive razor requires more attention to (lack of) pressure, a mild razor takes more attention to consistency with a near-perfect angle.

Shaving "badly" with an aggressive razor will lead to nicks and/or irritation; shaving "badly" with a mild razor will lead to too many whiskers left. (And, if compensating for that, I use too many passes or start adding too much pressure, then a lot of irritation might ensue, too).

Exactly, and very well worded!

- Murray

4 1,150