08-24-2014, 12:26 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I'm fairly new to Simpson brushes but I'm glad I took the leap. I got a Duke 2 about three or four weeks ago and a Classic 1 arrived Friday. (Thanks to Phil.) Unlike my Duke, it wore the earlier patten Made in England decal.

I followed Mark Watterson's advice for prepping the brush before I had my first shave with it this morning. I shampooed it, rinsed it in room temp water, and let it air dry for 2 days.

The Classic did not feel as dense as the Duke but I suppose the size of the knot explains this. Still, it has a good amount of hair packed into such a small knot, and compared my Mühle Travel STF, it is so much easier to use. While Simpson Best can vary from brush to brush, I am pleased that the Classic had soft tips like my Duke.

I face lathered La Toja and the Classic built lather quickly. Not lather bomb levels but this is the first outing and I suppose performance will evolve over time. On the face, the Classic knot feels smaller than the Duke. Not by much but it is palpable. Backbone is not as firm as the Duke's (contrary to what I expected.) It has enough but its knot splays more than its bigger cousin's. Some folks advise that the Classic handle may be a bit small for daily use but I had no issues with it. It is comfortable in my hand and did not prove tiring in use.

Shave was DFS, using a Canadian pre-war Tech and Gillette Bleue Extra.

The brush did shed a few hairs when I washed it and shed a few more during the first shave. These were full length strands but nothing to worry about yet. I will see how long it takes for the brush to settle down.

I was expecting just a bit more of density and backbone but all in all, it is a good brush that is distinct enough from the Duke to make it worth keeping. It would make a great travel brush as it offers full size performance in a compact package. On the other hand, it prompts me to look at the Chubby 1 more seriously.

There is probably a Simpson to suit every person's needs and likes. Finding that brush is what fills the adventure with loads of fun.

2 286
 08-24-2014, 09:09 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Excellent review Karlo... Thanks for sharing! I definitely have a CL2 on my short list because I want the slightly bigger handle vs the CL1. I found your comments about the backbone vs the D2 interesting and you are right... I would have expected the opposite. However, if anything that's more of a selling point for me as it fits into my quest to add greater diversity to my den

34 1,628
 08-24-2014, 11:50 AM
User Info
Karlo, enjoy the brushes! Smile

83 21,077
 08-25-2014, 03:20 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
(08-24-2014, 09:09 AM)Giorgio Wrote: However, if anything that's more of a selling point for me as it fits into my quest to add greater diversity to my den

You said it. If all brushes and razors behaved the same way, this would be one boring pursuit.

2 286