05-21-2012, 02:30 PM
User Info
I was sent a hard case boar brush, the brand and model amkes no difference. It was sent to me for reknotting and the owner never wants to see it again.

I tiredit as it was and it was far too large a brush for me. So I trimmed about 1/2" from it and reformed it into the appropriate hemi' shape. I figured what the heck, it's not going to lose anything. I used it for awhile and it's not as bad as you might expect, but I was hoping the bristles might split. They don't appear to be splitting and by now, if it was untrimmed, it would have been broken in many times over. I'm patient though and can continue trying to break it in.

Will they ever?

It's no big deal if they don't since the original plan was to reknot it. I just wonder if I should continue hand lathering it to try to get them to split.

Any input is welcome.

32 6,309
 05-21-2012, 02:40 PM
User Info
I would try the 165 degree water trick. Just for the "new tips" to see if the higher temp will get the follicle to split.

31 7,912
 05-21-2012, 02:46 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I have read somewhere that the only the tips of the boar hair splits. If you clip the tips, the remainder may never split. I never tested that, but evidently, you are testing it right now. I guess only the top part of the hair is capable of splitting. Good luck with it. If I remember correctly it was a Semogue 1250, which has a wonderful wooden handle. Wort case scenario you have a replacement knot with an excellent handle. Also, if you like the unsplit bristles and they work for you, then you are done. there are brushes out there with trimmed bristles. They are frowned upon, but they do exist and most likely enjoyed by people. Keep us posted!

25 1,705
 05-21-2012, 04:14 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
If are clipped,would never split,sorry about that.

86 7,123
 05-21-2012, 05:48 PM
User Info
Actually, that's not true......though it is an urban legend that has gone down as truth.

Boar hairs are like any other thick hairs. As they get longer the tips tend to split (ask your wife/girlfriend/mother about split ends). That's undesirable for humans, but not for boar brushes. As any woman knows, blow-drying will make split ends turn up faster after a haircut.

---------

I have tried blow-drying on cut boar knots. They will start to split pretty quickly.

What I did was soak the brush, lather with it and then rinse and blow-dry the ends. I did this 4 times and all the hairs had split.

It still wasn't comfortable to use, as the hairs were still pretty thick, but I've no doubt that if you went through that cycle a dozen times, the comfort would improve.

It may take a long time to approach the comfort of the untrimmed hairs though.

37 1,731
 05-21-2012, 06:01 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(05-21-2012, 05:48 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: Actually, that's not true......though it is an urban legend that has gone down as truth.

Boar hairs are like any other thick hairs. As they get longer the tips tend to split (ask your wife/girlfriend/mother about split ends). That's undesirable for humans, but not for boar brushes. As any woman knows, blow-drying will make split ends turn up faster after a haircut.

---------

I have tried blow-drying on cut boar knots. They will start to split pretty quickly.

What I did was soak the brush, lather with it and then rinse and blow-dry the ends. I did this 4 times and all the hairs had split.

It still wasn't comfortable to use, as the hairs were still pretty thick, but I've no doubt that if you went through that cycle a dozen times, the comfort would improve.

It may take a long time to approach the comfort of the untrimmed hairs though.

My friend:

I got some cheap made in China boar brushes with clipped hairs and it was impossible for me, to split their tips or even make them softer : impossible.Maybe some grades of boar could but the was I tried,impossible.

86 7,123
 05-22-2012, 05:31 AM
User Info
Hmm......I guess this may be one of those things that varies from brush to brush.

I tried it on two brushes - one unnamed and one Vie-Long. They both had bristles that would cause bleeding if you used them as-is. The hair-dryer worked on both - made them usable, but it didn't make them comfortable. However, the bristles certainly split.

No guarantees that it will work on every brush, but from my experience, trimmed boar knots can be made to split at the ends....sometimes. Smile

37 1,731
 05-22-2012, 07:54 PM
User Info
Thanks for the tip (no pun intended), Yohann! i had never heard that before.

75 20,883
 05-23-2012, 10:55 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(05-22-2012, 05:31 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Hmm......I guess this may be one of those things that varies from brush to brush.

I tried it on two brushes - one unnamed and one Vie-Long. They both had bristles that would cause bleeding if you used them as-is. The hair-dryer worked on both - made them usable, but it didn't make them comfortable. However, the bristles certainly split.

No guarantees that it will work on every brush, but from my experience, trimmed boar knots can be made to split at the ends....sometimes. Smile

Thanks for the tip,my good friend.I dont have those cheap boar brushes anymore,but in the future,if I get one of those trimmed boar brushes,I know what to do.

86 7,123