08-24-2014, 08:00 PM
User Info
I'm new to double edge shaving and need some advice on which soaps/creams to try. Looking for a good classic variety.

22 103
 08-24-2014, 08:18 PM
User Info
The list is enormous!
Most of the artisanal soaps are fantastic and, in my opinion, better than the classic ones.
Take a look here to choose what you would like: http://www.bullgooseshaving.com/soaps-creams/

Good luck.

82 21,056
 08-24-2014, 09:08 PM
User Info
I agree that the artisan soaps may (no, WILL) surprise you. I'm also new and decided for my first soap to go with a "trusted" name out there. I don't remember how I settled on this one, but it was Geo F. Trumpers "Sandalwood" shaving soap. It almost made me give up right out of the gate I couldn't get it to lather. I tried a Stirling soap based on a recommendation before I gave up and got it to lather on my first try! Finally, a great shave!

I guess my point is not to assume the artisan soaps can't stand up to the traditional ones, and also to stay the hell away from Trumper soaps

16 249
 08-25-2014, 05:50 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
As Celestino mentioned, the list is endless. I have way too many soaps to count and I still acquire more regularly as I see something that interests me.

I started really getting into wet shaving about 8 years ago , and I started with the some good staples that I still have in my den: Proraso green cream, Tabac soap , and Mitchell's Wool Fat soap. I found creams to be much easier for a new wetshaver to use and get a good lather out of versus soap. These days there are so many more choices. TSN hosts a list of fantastic artisans that make some of the best soaps I have tried.

In the beginning, the advice you get can be overwhelming, so I will just say... Keep it simple. Pick two or three different varieties and see what you like best. Then expand your exploration. One route you may want to consider is obtaining some samples. Most artisans have samples for purchase. Also Garry's sample shop is an excellent resource to wetshavers looking to try different products.

Good luck

34 1,628
 08-25-2014, 06:30 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
The advice to limit number you get is good, pick a couple and learn them first. The advice that creams are generally easier to lather than soaps is also good.

For creams you could consider Palmolive Classic, Musgo Real and the Body Shop's Maca Root. Wait one, forgot Nivea shave cream.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-25-2014, 08:06 AM
User Info
For more modern soaps and scents, you can't go wrong with RazoRock. They are very easy to lather and give a great shave.

The old school soaps are awesome as well. Cella or Prosaro soaps are great or for a nice cream, Taylor of Old Bond Street(TOBS).

Then there's Arko.

0 1,007
 08-25-2014, 12:02 PM
User Info
Thank you very much for all of your replies. I will keep it simple and pick out a couple of the recommended brands.

22 103
 08-26-2014, 04:40 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Classic?

Here are some of the less expensive ones:
Proraso-Tubs or Creams
Tabac
Cella
Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS)
Mitchell's Wool Fat
ARKO

As stated above, do some reading here and try some artisan soaps too.

4 2,688
 08-26-2014, 11:53 AM
User Info
Also remember that at the beginning your lather technique will suck. So if you have soap that doesn't lather well, set it aside and revisit in 4 months

But yes GFT Sucks!

3 254
 08-26-2014, 12:43 PM
User Info
But please remmeber - GFT soaps sucks, GFT creams are rather great.

Shaving cream: I would start out with a tube of Musgo Real shaving cream (either scent is perfect) and a pot of TOBS Jermyn Street shaving cream. Both creams will set you back less than $30
They are easy to lathe and both products are top performers for the price they cost.

Shaving soap: I would start out with a pot of high quality fairly prices Cella shaving soap (it's more like a croap, which means a soft soap, moving towards a cream in softness, therefore called a croap by wetshavers) and a pot of also fairly priced Proraso shaving soap (in the plastic pot) - if you like menthol get the green, if you like earthy sandalwood get the red and if you like a soft aloe vera-tea like scented soap get the white pot of Proraso.

Then learn from there - have patience, do 5-8 test lathers in your hand. Learn how the water and air ratio helps creates the lather. Learn how hard you have to work the brush to createh the lather you want. Experiment with mixing a shaving cream and a shaving soap and see if this helps you create a better more slick soft quality lather.

Good luck Smile

24 5,839