08-25-2014, 07:20 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
Just picked this Dovo Inox puppy up...Noticeably different shave than carbon steel...feels like a nice Keen no frills blade, and already feels like a perfect addition to the rotation.

Anybody prefer stainless to carbon for the majority of your straight shaves?

[Image: nptwHr1.jpg]

4 794
 08-25-2014, 07:52 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I have both types in my rotation and don't really care which I use as I notice little difference. Insensitive I guess.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-25-2014, 08:00 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I dont find much difference, but it does seem a stainless holds it edge a little longer

118 1,708
 08-26-2014, 09:44 AM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
The razor does have a brand new hone, and really feels very sharp to me...I definitely have sensitive skin, maybe that plays a part with this inox blade just being plain sharp compared to the few other razors I've tried...but this is also my first Dovo, so could definitely be other variables besides steel...

I guess not many really prefer stainless over carbon...that's interesting too, again less of a difference to other shaver's than I initially thought/felt

4 794
 08-26-2014, 11:21 AM
User Info
I have many razors and hone many including stainless but I've never owned a stainless razor so maybe that's next on my list a big Henckels Inox sounds good to me.Biggrin

11 1,945
 08-26-2014, 12:05 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(08-26-2014, 09:44 AM)LORDBISHOP Wrote: The razor does have a brand new hone, and really feels very sharp to me...I definitely have sensitive skin, maybe that plays a part with this inox blade just being plain sharp compared to the few other razors I've tried...but this is also my first Dovo, so could definitely be other variables besides steel...

I guess not many really prefer stainless over carbon...that's interesting too, again less of a difference to other shaver's than I initially thought/felt

The way the edge feels could also be the result of how it was honed. I mean different hones and methods produce different edge feels on the same razor. It is possible to have a sharp and slightly harsh feeling edge as opposed to a sharp an smooth feeling one.

Even though I don't feel any great difference between carbin and stainless blades in the shaving I would take a stainless any day for shear ease of maintenance. Unfortunately there are far fewer used vintage stainless blades out there and most are higher priced than I am willing to go.

As an aside, they have been making stainless straights since the 1920s/30s so it is not a new idea.

Bob

(08-26-2014, 11:21 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: I have many razors and hone many including stainless but I've never owned a stainless razor so maybe that's next on my list a big Henckels Inox sounds good to me.Biggrin

I think you will really enjoy a big Henckels Friodur if it shaves anything like my smaller/whimoy one. Biggrin

Bob

0 1,694
 08-26-2014, 07:11 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
Well said Bob H, I think this blade just surprised me at first like you said, a bit more sharp than comfortable for now...I'm going to use her again tomorrow after some nice lite stropping and see how the blade feels with another go around!

Jamie - It's time for an Inox blade in your stable! At least one...the Henckel blades are gorgeous...I don't have any of their straights, but I have an amazing set of kitchen blades from Henckel that have shown excellent quality and longevity over the years...they look brand new and take a lovely edge after 20+ years of service in the kitchen.

4 794
 08-27-2014, 05:24 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Hope the stropping works out for you. Sometimes after the second stropping the shave does seem smooth out.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-28-2014, 04:37 AM
User Info
I've found that stainless blades have a fairly different level of performance compared to carbon depending on the deepness of the grind. More hollow in stainless gives a lot, LOT more feedback and feels like the blade actually contours to your face a little bit, versus a carbon blade in the same grind which keeps its shape and might feel a lot more steady in the hands.

As far as edges go, I don't find significant differences between the two metal types in terms of performance when honed properly, the grind and sizing has a much bigger effect. That said, honing a stainless is a lot more challenging at times not because of the "hardness" of the steel but actually because of that "feedback" I mentioned above. On the hone, especially in deeper hollow grinds, the stainless will actually contour slightly to the hone if the slightest too much pressure is used.

All said and done, stainless feels a bit different to shave with, especially in the heavier hollow grinds, but isn't really better or worse. More honing difficulty, less maintenance.

16 250
 08-28-2014, 06:52 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I haven't enjoyed my 8/8 Friodur INOX as well as many of my other razors, and thought that I just didn't like the way stainless felt compared to carbon. However, my new Ali's Blade is stainless, and it gives me the best shave of my life. I think I'll have the Friodur professionally honed again, as I now expect that is the culprit.

38 5,199
 08-28-2014, 07:51 PM
User Info
I own a Henckels Friodur Inox and it shaves great. I agree the stainless seem to hold an edge longer. I've yet to touch up the edge. The heft of the razor makes a difference as well.

21 1,686
 08-29-2014, 07:34 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
You guys are great sharing your experiences, tastes and general informative feedback...what a great forum group, thank you all!

4 794
 08-30-2014, 02:13 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Did the edge feel improve for you after stropping?

Bob

0 1,694
 08-30-2014, 02:17 PM
User Info
(08-26-2014, 11:21 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: I have many razors and hone many including stainless but I've never owned a stainless razor so maybe that's next on my list a big Henckels Inox sounds good to me.Biggrin

I want a 72 1/2 henckels friodur so badly!!

3 153
 08-30-2014, 04:02 PM
User Info
(08-30-2014, 02:17 PM)BudWhite Wrote:

I want a 72 1/2 henckels friodur so badly!!

You can't go wrong with that buy.

21 1,686
 09-01-2014, 06:43 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
(08-30-2014, 02:13 AM)BobH Wrote: Did the edge feel improve for you after stropping?

Bob

I'm happy to report the edge/stropping/technique/more usage...something has smoothed her out after a few more uses Angel thanks guys...I'm actually really happy with this razor now, great balance/feel and blade! I will certainly try more stainless or INOX steel in the future now knowing it is just as smooth Cool

4 794