08-26-2014, 03:26 PM
User Info
Thinking of making a purchase, beehive handles just seem to fit my hand well.
Anyone use one of these Vie Long's care to post their thoughts on it?

Anyone recommend a different brand, I have only seen Vie Long offer a Beehive Silvertip?

0 24
 08-26-2014, 05:36 PM
User Info
(08-26-2014, 03:26 PM)tinashubby Wrote: Thinking of making a purchase, beehive handles just seem to fit my hand well.
Anyone use one of these Vie Long's care to post their thoughts on it?

Anyone recommend a different brand, I have only seen Vie Long offer a Beehive Silvertip?

I had one, and it's a wonderful brush. Mine had a fairly "tight" knot that felt a bit too unyielding for about 10 shaves, but once it loosened up it was quite a performer.

The tips have a very different feel compared to other brands (soft, velvety drag against the skin, yet scrubby when splayed) and the handle is a very comfortable shape and weight. It's downfall for me was that I have moved to boar and 2-band for the most part. That's it. That was the only reason I sold it.

For other beehive options I would probably go for a custom from a fine artisan in your preferred style of knot (so for me that would be TGN Finest) or you can cross your fingers and try and land a Simpsons. Not sure about other brand options.

16 249
 08-26-2014, 05:45 PM
User Info
I have one of the current Vie-Long Bullgoose Beehives. It's one of my favorite brushes.

It has a nice mixture of softness, backbone and good flow-through. It works equally well with hard soap, croaps and shave creams and is fine face lathering or mixing a lather in the bowl.

I was torn between ordering this knot in the Lord Randal handle or the classic Beehive. Although the Lord Randal is a fine handle (I have the white horsehair version), the Beehive handle is great ergonomically and it's wide flat base makes for an extra firm base sitting on the sink as I shave.

IMO, this is a real winner of a brush.

3 459
 08-27-2014, 09:17 PM
User Info
I too, have the V-L Beehive. It is the perfect brush.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 12
 08-28-2014, 03:27 AM
User Info
I own this one:

[Image: 2hcjbqp.jpg]

[Image: 34noas7.jpg]

Have yet to use it, but when I bought in it 2012/2013 I heard it should have some of the softest tips while still being tightly densely packed for nice backbone.

Will maybe try using it fir the first time next month or so Smile

24 5,833
 08-28-2014, 04:52 AM
User Info
I always thought the handle looked a bit chunky but in seeing the photo with the other beehives it looks okay. The brush seems to have a good reputation. I'm partial to beehives and could see owning one.

44 486
 08-28-2014, 05:42 PM
User Info
I bought a Vie-Long silvertip as part of a package deal with another brush. The other brush is now gone. My V-L gets a lot of time in my brush rotation for the reasons others have already mentioned: great backbone, soft tips, and impressive flow through. It is a highly underrated brush, IMO.

0 76
 08-29-2014, 06:23 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Shavemac makes a very nice Beehive. You have a choice of badger and colour of the handle. I have one in faux ivory fitted with a Finest knot; it's one of my favourite brushes.

5 882
 09-21-2014, 03:04 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I just went from using a WEE SCOT for over a year exclusively ( finances) to a beehive appearing magically in my mailAngel
If this isn't a radical change I don't know what isRolleyes
I've had 3 other brushes; a starter Vulfix, Simpson Grosvenor-a cherished favorite that sadly self destructed and another very large brush that did also.
I am a face latherer. I am currently using Dittmar's soap and had scarcely applied COLD water to my coffeecup and was rewarded with a visible flow of soap up into the knot. Now, a Wee Scot is a lesson in patience. This was like putting your foot in the stirrup to mount an offtrack racing Thoroughbred and the animal is halfway down the road.
I was almost disappointed! My shave went so fast and I only needed a cursory second pass. Do I have to buy some other soaps and blades, use the Wee Scot to get my 4 passes?
THIS WAS NOT IN THE BROCHURE.
But that's O.K.Aaaaa

2 3,171
 09-21-2014, 08:58 PM
User Info
I have one as well. It feels wonderful. Barely a hint of scritch with great backbone. It's outstanding.

EDIT: This thread made me want to face lather with it, so I did even though I didn't need a shave. There's an ever so hint scritch when you really spray the hair with this brush, at least in my example. But barely there. It's a monster of a brush, though. I have some Antica Barbieria Colla and it's somewhat regarded as a soap that produces a fairly thin but slick lather with little cushion. This brush picks up so much of the stuff that I can make it burst into a cushiony monster in a pretty short period of time. Wonderful brush. It whipped up some ABC that was thicker and more cushiony than I even knew it could achieve.

3 96
 11-05-2014, 06:21 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
I have a butterscotch beehive 3b silvertip from Phil. It is an amazing brush with fine backbone and is honestly, the softest tipped brush I've owned. (I have a HMW Plisson, some simpson super badgers, an older rooney gel tip heritage). If you can find one you wont regret buying it.

7 325
 11-05-2014, 07:14 PM
User Info
Vie Long brushes in 2-band and 3-band badger are probably the most underrated shaving brush brand in the business.

I tell you right now.
They are on par with my Simpson 2-Band & Best and all my 8 different my Shavemacs all day long.
They even compete with my 7 different M&F brushes in my den.

They are THAT GREAT !

24 5,833
 11-18-2014, 07:09 AM
User Info
(11-05-2014, 07:14 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Vie Long brushes in 2-band and 3-band badger are probably the most underrated shaving brush brand in the business.

I tell you right now.
They are on par with my Simpson 2-Band & Best and all my 8 different my Shavemacs all day long.
They even compete with my 7 different M&F brushes in my den.

They are THAT GREAT !

May have to hunt down a nice two band brush. I hear they source from the same place as plisson. Is that just speculation or can anyone confirm this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 315
 11-18-2014, 07:40 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
The ultimate source must be a genetically prepotent family of badgers. I hope they aren't over 'harvested.'

2 3,171