08-26-2014, 05:46 PM
  • WriteNoob
  • Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've literally been shaving with a DE razor for less than a week. Been on this forum for an even shorter time, so if there is a more appropriate place for posts like this, please let me know.

I've been using a water softening powder at 1/2 tsp. per sink of shaving water, to deal with hard water. I'm wondering if this will have any undesirable effects on my shaving equipment. I do rinse and dry my razor (Edwin Jagger 89L) and brush (cheap Escali badger) after use, so I'm thinking all should be well. However, upon reading some reviews on the razor, I've found a few that speak of the the threads of the E.J. corroding away after about a year, and thought I should ask.

Really liking this forum, BTW. You folks have built a really nice place, here.

0 58
 08-26-2014, 06:20 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Hi and welcome to the forum! I'll share my experience. .. I've had my EJ 89 for over 4 years and it still looks exactly like the day it arrived. I have used it in all water types. I think rinsing and drying after use is very helpful. I don't doubt there are some bad ones that did in fact fall apart after a year, but I believe if you take care of your shaving equipment, it *should last a lifetime

34 1,628
 08-26-2014, 06:29 PM
  • WriteNoob
User Info
(08-26-2014, 06:20 PM)Giorgio Wrote: Hi and welcome to the forum! I'll share my experience. .. I've had my EJ 89 for over 4 years and it still looks exactly like the day it arrived. I have used it in all water types. I think rinsing and drying after use is very helpful. I don't doubt there are some bad ones that did in fact fall apart after a year, but I believe if you take care of your shaving equipment, it *should last a lifetime

Thanks, Giorgio. I figured that those results were hinting at neglect, but it got me thinking about the water softener thing, and whether I should or shouldn't be using it. To be honest, if it did cause rot, I'd have to weigh that against the results I get using it. Thought it would be good to know, though.

0 58
 08-26-2014, 06:34 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Glad I could help. Our last house had a water softener built in and that was where we lived when I bought my EJ. Now we have hard water and I would assume the hard water is worse for the razor. Just keep up with the good cleaning habits and you should be good

34 1,628
 08-26-2014, 06:59 PM
User Info
I would have to reiterate what Giorgio has stated. I can't see the water softening powder corroding your razor.

82 21,056
 09-02-2014, 10:54 AM
User Info
I have no idea what water softening powder is?

Is it EDTA? If so cool, but it definitely could leech some of the metals on the razor. Would I worry about it? Nah it still would be a really slow process. It's like metal pipes? do you worry about them dissolving? nither do I. Have you tried lathering without the powder? Does it work? If so, certainly hard water isn't going to dissolve the razor, but if the water softening powder gives you a better shave don't worry about it. That's the name of the game anyway.

Soap scum is the devils substance.

Looks like it is some other chelating agent. I wouldn't worry about it.

2 58
 09-02-2014, 11:37 AM
User Info
All references I could find to water softener powders points towards stuff with zeolite and carboxylate as the main ingredients - neither of ones should be bad for your razor in the short run.

As for the long run... if it's safe to dispose of down the drain, it's probably safe for your razor. If you're really, really, really worried you can buy distilled water and use that for shaving.

3 4,373
 09-02-2014, 12:55 PM
  • WriteNoob
User Info
(09-02-2014, 11:37 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: All references I could find to water softener powders points towards stuff with zeolite and carboxylate as the main ingredients - neither of ones should be bad for your razor in the short run.

As for the long run... if it's safe to dispose of down the drain, it's probably safe for your razor. If you're really, really, really worried you can buy distilled water and use that for shaving.

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the trouble. The worry I initially had was that the head of my EJ is a zink alloy call zamax' I believe. Read a pretty fair number of posts and reviews that start with, "Help, my threads have all rotted off of my razor!"

But since I've discovered what it's made from, I've resigned myself that, sooner or later, it's probably going to happen, anyway. I've got a Gillette Slim en'route from EBay, more for trying out different razors than anything else, and all future new razors will be purchased with an eye towards longevity and quality of materials. I am careful to be gentle when tightening, so I should get reasonable use out of it.

0 58