05-21-2012, 06:23 PM
User Info
My shaves have been elevated to a HNL (hole nother level) this week with an experiment with oils. The only pre-shave oils I had tried before were Floid Sandolor, which was OK, and AOS, which was horrible. I was running out of Floid and bought some PREP to try as a pre-shave cream and was not happy with the results. So, I decided to pick up a few different oils to try to blend my own concoction.

The oils I'm using are castor, sweet almond, apricot kernel, and grapeseed. I mixed these up a bit, following proportions (roughly) I saw in Teiste's thread here and on other sites. I used a tad too much castor oil and had to add more of the others to thin it out. I used this for a few days and immediately noticed how great my skin felt even post-shave. My face has never felt so moisturized, and I didn't have any dry, white flakey skin I'm prone to. So not only did I get great protection during my shave, the oil kept protecting my face even when I was done!

At this point my shaves were satisfactory but could have been better. One consequence of thinning the castor oil was that my razor was skipping a bit; I knew I was going to have to fiddle with the formula again.

Not satisfied with a trial-and-error approach, I decided to evaluate the oils individually and without soap or cream. I had never shaved like this before, but I started one day with my mixture to establish a sort of baseline. I was amazed that even though my razor skipped a bit, I was able to get a great shave with no burn and a moisturized face.

The next day I tried it with apricot kernel oil only. It was very protective and moisturizing but my razor got a little gunked up and skipped a bit.

The next day I shaved with grapeseed oil only. It was very slick but not quite as moisturizing as the apricot kernel.

Tomorrow I'll be trying the sweet almond oil only, followed by the castor oil. Oh, and I have some avocado oil on order. Biggrin

I hope once I'm done with these tests, I'll be better equipped to make a blend and maybe add some essential oils for skin care. I'm infusing some oil with calendula petals and chamomile flowers now, so in a couple of weeks I'll let you know how that turned out.

I don't know if I'll continue to do oil-only shaves once I get my blend where I like it; I enjoy a nice lather too much. I'll definitely continue to use these oils as a pre-shave because my skin has never felt better. A whole new world has opened up for me! If you haven't tried an oil-only shave, I recommend trying it at least once. I found myself much more in tune with what I was doing and really enjoyed this almost tribal ritual.

4 112
 05-21-2012, 06:29 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-21-2012, 06:23 PM)dontodd Wrote: My shaves have been elevated to a HNL (hole nother level) this week with an experiment with oils. The only pre-shave oils I had tried before were Floid Sandolor, which was OK, and AOS, which was horrible. I was running out of Floid and bought some PREP to try as a pre-shave cream and was not happy with the results. So, I decided to pick up a few different oils to try to blend my own concoction.

The oils I'm using are castor, sweet almond, apricot kernel, and grapeseed. I mixed these up a bit, following proportions (roughly) I saw in Teiste's thread here and on other sites. I used a tad too much castor oil and had to add more of the others to thin it out. I used this for a few days and immediately noticed how great my skin felt even post-shave. My face has never felt so moisturized, and I didn't have any dry, white flakey skin I'm prone to. So not only did I get great protection during my shave, the oil kept protecting my face even when I was done!

At this point my shaves were satisfactory but could have been better. One consequence of thinning the castor oil was that my razor was skipping a bit; I knew I was going to have to fiddle with the formula again.

Not satisfied with a trial-and-error approach, I decided to evaluate the oils individually and without soap or cream. I had never shaved like this before, but I started one day with my mixture to establish a sort of baseline. I was amazed that even though my razor skipped a bit, I was able to get a great shave with no burn and a moisturized face.

The next day I tried it with apricot kernel oil only. It was very protective and moisturizing but my razor got a little gunked up and skipped a bit.

The next day I shaved with grapeseed oil only. It was very slick but not quite as moisturizing as the apricot kernel.

Tomorrow I'll be trying the sweet almond oil only, followed by the castor oil. Oh, and I have some avocado oil on order. Biggrin

I hope once I'm done with these tests, I'll be better equipped to make a blend and maybe add some essential oils for skin care. I'm infusing some oil with calendula petals and chamomile flowers now, so in a couple of weeks I'll let you know how that turned out.

I don't know if I'll continue to do oil-only shaves once I get my blend where I like it; I enjoy a nice lather too much. I'll definitely continue to use these oils as a pre-shave because my skin has never felt better. A whole new world has opened up for me! If you haven't tried an oil-only shave, I recommend trying it at least once. I found myself much more in tune with what I was doing and really enjoyed this almost tribal ritual.

This sounds like a great experiment. Please let me know your conclusions. I'm game to try anything that has a chance of working for me.

0 396
 05-21-2012, 07:54 PM
User Info
Todd, wow, are you determined! One suggestion if you are having dry skin after your shaves would be to use Unrefined Shea Butter as a balm. The best skin moisturizer/protectant that i have ever used!
Should be cold-pressed and organic if possible.

75 20,883
 11-21-2013, 10:11 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Todd, I often rub olive oil into my hands when they are dry, but I find any oils on my face too heavy, including pre shave oils. Your thread reminds me I have a bottle of Floid Sandolor that I've never used!

91 17,823
 11-27-2013, 11:03 PM
User Info
This may be helpful,
I loved Truefitt & Hill's oil so much when i used their sampler, but it is extravagantly expensive. I found a likely list of the ingredients for the oil and have been slowly acquiring those i can find locally. Ive been shaving with each oil on its own and then combining the ones I have picked up in the hopes of one day finding a great ratio.
The possible ingredient list I have found is as follows:
sunflower seed oil (tried)
avocado oil (tried)
meadowfoam seed oil
glyceryl oleat
fume silica
kukui seed oil (tried)
laureth-4
grapefruit peel oil
tangerine peel oil
aloe barbadensis leaf extract
cucumber fruit extract
canola oil (tried)
safflower seed oil (tried)

avocado was the best that i have tried, but i enjoying mixing the oils with castor oil and sometimes glycerin, as you have mentioned

Max

0 23
 12-01-2013, 03:28 PM
User Info
Ben, grapeseed is one of the lightest carrier oils. I only use 3-5 drops. If that is too heavy, then I would just say a pre-shave oil isn't for you. ;-)

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

4 112
 12-11-2013, 06:11 PM
User Info
Jojoba oil works great (IMO) just make sure you rinse your razor frequently Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 4