05-21-2012, 08:28 PM
User Info
So it appears that the first hundred or so La Famiglia orders are arriving in their new homes this week. I ordered some of each scent available and have just finished test lathering each of them. I'll reserve thoughts on the soaps until I use them for awhile but I thought I'd go ahead and rank the scents according to my personal preference.

1. Zi' Peppino -- I thought this would initially rank 3rd until I smelled it. This is a very nice scent that is hard to describe.
2. Cumba Cheech -- Initially thought to be my 1st or 2nd it does indeed fall in at #2. A nice orange blossom start with a good herbaceous finish. Not to sweet IMO.
3. Nonno Michelino -- not being a sandalwood fan I figured this would come in dead last but it moves up to #3. Most sandalwoods are too strong for me. This one seems straightforward yet not over powering. Quite nice.
4. Don Marco -- The B&N tends to be the most popular initially and by those who have tried the TFS version previously. To me it's too sweet. Not really cloying, but close to being so to me. Definitely reminds me of an orange creamsicle.

So, what's your favorite so far. All of this is obviously subject to change.

31 7,914
 05-21-2012, 11:19 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Very interesting that Zi' Peppino is ranked first. I'm most exited about it so this definitely has my hopes up. Could you relate the Nonno Michelino to another sandalwood similar to it?

35 1,732
 05-22-2012, 04:01 AM
User Info
Anthony, I'm sorry that I can't answer your question very well. This sandalwood is pretty much my entire exposure to sandalwood in general. I've smelled some other sandalwoods & just not like them. I only got this in sandalwood because of how affordable it was & I'm usually not one that will let scent deprive me of a quality shave. That said I was surprised how how the scent bececa little more complex & enjoyable when lathered. I'll have to shave with it to see what I really think of the scent. So far I'm pleased with it but again I apologize that I can't give a better answer.

31 7,914
 05-22-2012, 02:01 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
Thanks for the ranking and info again, Brian! Sounds like the two I picked will be right up my alley!

0 353
 05-22-2012, 02:54 PM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
I enjoyed the scent of all four croaps.

I'm not a Sandalwood fan and I thought the soap smelled really good.

1 111
 05-22-2012, 03:08 PM
User Info
(05-22-2012, 02:54 PM)Theido Wrote: I enjoyed the scent of all four croaps.

I'm not a Sandalwood fan and I thought the soap smelled really good.

Theido, with how much more I enjoyed the Zi' Peppino today during my shave I'm looking forward to seeing if the sandalwood grows on me as well.

31 7,914
 05-23-2012, 08:30 PM
User Info
My scent ranks are the same as yours, Brian. I didn't think the Zi Peppino would be up there but it is. I thought the Cumba Cheech would be up there followed by the Don Marco, but the Don Marco is too strong for me.

When I lathered it up, the scent was not as strong so it has the potential to grow on me, but I followed it up with the DM ASB and I was reminded why this was my least favorite scent. I don't dislike it, but I don't think this will be used over others so will likely hit the PIF pile. I'll continue to use it in hopes that it grows on me.

8 118
 05-25-2012, 02:14 PM
User Info
After using all 4 scents to complete a shave I have a slight alteration to my rankings. The bottom 2 have switched while the top 2 remain the same. If Don Marco keeps growing on me with use it could crack the top 2.

1. Zi' Peppino
2. Cumba Cheech
3. Don Marco
4. Nonno Michelino

Again, all the scents get better when lathered. They seem to be more complex than the smell you get from the tub.

31 7,914