08-28-2014, 09:06 AM
User Info
Hey Guys,

Through some good luck and fortune, I've acquired these two razors:
[Image: aQyE0a8.jpg?1]
[Image: eKDgaEO.jpg?1]

I'm a novice SR shaver, but i'd like to have these cleaned up and honed so that they're ready to use. The sheon burg's scales are in great shape, but the TI's scales have some chips/dings.

Is there someone whom you'd recommend who can clean these guys up so that they are in great shape - both blade and scales?

Thanks!

22 653
 08-28-2014, 10:16 AM
  • schnebbs
  • relapsed brush addict
  • chicago
User Info
though i've not had the opportunity (as of yet) to have work done by him, everything i've seen by mycarver has been jaw-dropping.
i believe that mbrando also does restorations, which have been pretty astounding as well.

(darn you for getting you post up before mine! i just got a w&b that, while done well already, could still us a bit more love.)

1 43
 08-28-2014, 08:04 PM
User Info
The scales look fine to me. I think the razors just need some polish and a honing. These are great finds for a beginner. You have an eye for it.

Glen Mercurio of gemstarcustoms.com is another great honemeister and restorer. mycarver's work is excellent.

...but as I've said, I think they just need polishing and honing.

21 1,642
 09-01-2014, 06:19 PM
User Info
I wouldn't sweat the dings in the TI's scales. Send them out for a good honing. Maybe a polishing too if you see fit, though you could do that yourself.

18 145
 09-02-2014, 08:41 AM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
They ar both going to be fine shavers! I like that style, frameback, because I can have the spine against my skin with out getting a suction, stick / slip! Smoother shaves for me for sure!
Have them pro-honed at least.
Enjoy your find.
~Richard

8 1,194
 09-02-2014, 02:29 PM
User Info
Thanks guys. I'm having them sent to a friend of a friend who is starting a restoration business. I've seen his work and it's very nice.

I'm not liking the fact that the TI's scales are so beat up; it beats my OCD to smithereens everytime I look at it and I fixate on the dings and dents. Since i'm having the razors cleaned and honed, I figured it would be a good time to get the TI rescaled. He showed me pictures of a razor he had done in horn, and I really liked the profile and "look" of it. It's a departure from the TI's shape but I think it'll look nice.

I've never handled horn anything; so I have no frame of reference. I've wanted to try a wood scaled razor as well; something like they dyed box elder burl. Not sure which one would look better.

22 653