08-28-2014, 11:54 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Anyone who visits our little corner of the nook here in "Through the Lens" knows I've been doing a ton of research in building me up a new kit. In researching this new kit I decided it would be beneficial to me to get into areas of photography I have not been that comfortable with in the past, and honestly, have never been that good at either.

So I started researching what lenses were recommended for street photography and stumbled across this video (it's long, but well worth it because it contains a wealth of information):

If you need a kick in the seat to watch the video, check out the mans work first: http://www.johnfreephotography.com/blog/

The deeper and deeper I research into this form of photography just reiterates what a powerful form of photography it is, and how it can teach us so much about the craft, and make us better photographers, and better people.

So a new subject for us to discuss among the group.
Who enjoys this form of photography?
What's your kit look like when you set out for a day of it? I love that it is a minimal kit (body and fixed focal length lens, I'm looking at about a 50 for my kit). As always discussion and recommendations are appreciated.

Please share some of your photos on the subject with us.

18 1,186
 08-28-2014, 12:21 PM
User Info
Very interesting video, Clinton and thanks for sharing.
Good luck on your journey.

82 21,077
 08-30-2014, 10:03 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I would study the works of Henri Cartier-Bresson, the father of street photography, and W. Eugene Smith, before this person. They photographed the average person on the street, rather than the downtrodden. Any small, inconspicuous camera with a 35mm lens (full frame equivalent) is ideal. Prior to digital, a rangefinder camera was the camera of choice, rather than an SLR, because of it's size. Currently, the mirrorless cameras are preferred, because they are quiet, in addition to being small. I still use my old Nikon F4, relatively small, film, SLR with a 50mm lens for most of my street photography, and process the black and white film myself.

Someone begging on a back street in Prague:
[Image: 5BmedQ7.jpg]

38 5,105
 08-31-2014, 09:48 AM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
That's a beautiful shot Richard.

I have seen quite a bit of Bresson's stuff and love looking at it. I've also listened to a couple of interviews with him as well. This is an area of photography that greatly intrigues me though, and an area I'd like very much to explore.

Here is one of the videos of Bresson. Some of his more famous shots, and some commentary from him as well...

This is just my favorite of the few videos I've seen. I also went looking for some books yesterday, but was unlucky in that search. I will however continue to look for some books that contain some of his work.

18 1,186
 09-15-2014, 07:55 PM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
Found this video this evening. Great video. Very interesting. Beautiful shots. Beautiful music.

18 1,186