05-22-2012, 04:16 AM
User Info
This morning marked my first shave with RazoRock's newly released La Famiglia line of soaps. I won't go into the ancestry of this soap as it's been discussed thoroughly & should be well known by now.

On to the shave...

This soap lathers brilliantly. Like other soft soaps it's very easy to load the brush. The consistency, however, is where you may be surprised. It really reminds me of a tallow based soap with the density & creaminess of the lather. So suffice it to say you will get great cushion from these.

Next, let's talk about glide, slickness, lubricity, etc. I believe this is where the soap excels. It is very easy to do multiple passes and blade buff all day long with the slickness that is left behind.

So with great cushion and amazing glide I was able to attain a 3-pass BBS with zero weepers & no irritation. All of this while using a 9 shave old blade!

My last test of the soap was on skin feel after the shave. So I did what I normally do with MWF or Mike's Natural Soaps & massaged the remaining lather out of the brus all over my face & neck. I left it on while I cleaned up the Nook. I then used a cold water rinse to clean my neck and face followed by a towel pat down. Normally, I follow up immediately with my very moisturizing Krampert's Finest AS. Today I waited on that so I could see how my face felt for awhile post-shave. The results are my skin is super smooth and supple. I feel some very slight tightening in my cheeks that I know the KF will eliminate.

This soap performs amazingly. I can now understand why people were paying $30 for a single tub of the stuff. But not any longer now that RazoRock has it. It doesn't matter how many soaps & creams you have currently you will only be doing yourself a disservice by not picking up some of the La Famiglia range from RazoRock.

As a final note, I understand the popularity of the Don Marco (bergamot & neroli) but I'm blown away by the Zi' Peppino. I couldn't stop smelling the stuff. And it smells exponentially better when lathered. I'm upset that I only got 2 of these.

31 7,914
 05-22-2012, 04:23 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great review Brian, thank-you!

91 17,868
 05-22-2012, 05:01 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Brain, thanks for sharing. Can not wait to try out the two I have ordered. Definitely looking forward to these additions.

1 3,507
 05-22-2012, 05:18 AM
User Info
I agree really good stuff I used the Don Marco this morning.

10 518
 05-22-2012, 05:42 AM
User Info
Thanks, Brian!

9 1,199
 05-22-2012, 01:55 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
Thanks for the review! I'm glad now that I ordered them and can't wait until I get it in the next week or two. The Don Marco I wasn't sure if the "creamcicle" element would really move me so I picked up the Cumba Cheech and Zi' Peppino. Sounds like I'll like the Zi' Peppino. I've heard that the Cumba Cheech is similar to the Don Marco but a bit different so I'm thinking it may be up my alley.

0 353
 05-22-2012, 02:33 PM
  • Philbo
  • West Midlands, UK
User Info
Thanks for the review, Another one added to the ever growing wish list Smile

0 62
 05-22-2012, 03:07 PM
User Info
(05-22-2012, 02:33 PM)Philbo Wrote: Thanks for the review, Another one added to the ever growing wish list Smile

With the price of these soaps it should be on the "Get" list and not the "Wish" list. MdC is on my "Wish" list. Anything in this price is a definite "Get" when it's this quality.

31 7,914
 05-22-2012, 09:26 PM
User Info
Just a little while ago I lathered up the Don Marco for my wife to shave her legs. While it starts off very sweet the scent mellows & actually becomes more complex. The more I built the lather the better it smelled.

SWMBO gives it high marks. She rates it much, much better than Cella which was her previous favorite. She says it's the slickest soap she's used. Now that it's been a couple hours she still can't stop rubbing her legs. Is that legterbating? I dont know! Laughing1

31 7,914
 05-22-2012, 09:58 PM
User Info
(05-22-2012, 09:26 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Now that it's been a couple hours she still can't stop rubbing her legs. Is that legterbating? I dont know! Laughing1

No. I think when she does that it's your que to get busy!Tongue

9 1,199
 05-23-2012, 05:57 AM
User Info
(05-22-2012, 09:26 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Just a little while ago I lathered up the Don Marco for my wife to shave her legs. While it starts off very sweet the scent mellows & actually becomes more complex. The more I built the lather the better it smelled.

SWMBO gives it high marks. She rates it much, much better than Cella which was her previous favorite. She says it's the slickest soap she's used. Now that it's been a couple hours she still can't stop rubbing her legs. Is that legterbating? I dont know! Laughing1

All I know is that if she keeps legterbating then her toes will go blind!

0 123
 05-23-2012, 06:41 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Cumba Cheech got the nod for my first attempt. Great soap indeed, easy BBS.

The scent mellowed for CC, too. The orange note settled down a bit and the jasmine came out to play.

10 1,858
 05-23-2012, 06:58 AM
User Info
I used the Zi' Peppino this morning.

I honestly wasn't all that impressed. It's certainly not a bad soap, but I've used better. Lather didn't seem to be as protective as other products, and was a little on the thin side. The smell was reminiscent of Tabac, though not as cloying, and not terribly exciting.

I heard this was the "Italian MdC" and IMHO it's not. MdC is much better.

12 1,243
 05-23-2012, 07:16 AM
User Info
(05-23-2012, 06:58 AM)insomniac Wrote: I used the Zi' Peppino this morning.

I honestly wasn't all that impressed. It's certainly not a bad soap, but I've used better. Lather didn't seem to be as protective as other products, and was a little on the thin side. The smell was reminiscent of Tabac, though not as cloying, and not terribly exciting.

If you had thin lather then I'm sure your water to soap ratio wasn't great. This is some of the creamiest lather I've produced and it's been super easy to do as well. If you keep getting this consistently then I'd be very surprised.

(05-23-2012, 07:41 AM)brucered Wrote:

i have MdC and there is no comparison, MdC is better. i'm basing my opinion on TFS BN, but it's no where close to the quality and shaves i get from MdC.

i get mixed shaves from the TFS. my test lathers are fantastic, but my shaves have left something to be desired from lately when i use it.

i still use it periodically, but i'm not in any rush to get it into rotation.

YMMV

That is interesting Bruce. I've definitely heard of the quality of MdC, but have not tried it nor do I intend to anytime soon. YMMV is what makes it great that we have so many products that we can try and be able to find what works best for us. Granted I've only got about 10 test lathers and 2 shaves on the La Famiglia/TFS soaps but I've only had consistent results of creamy, dense, hydrated lather that is super slick. Perhaps there is something about the coconut oil that your skin doesn't like, though I know it's also in MdC. It could just be a concentration issue.

31 7,914
 05-23-2012, 08:22 AM
User Info
(05-23-2012, 07:16 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:

If you had thin lather then I'm sure your water to soap ratio wasn't great. This is some of the creamiest lather I've produced and it's been super easy to do as well. If you keep getting this consistently then I'd be very surprised.

I don't think that was the issue. I used "Marco's Method" (wet boar and lots of loading) and kind of perfected that by using Cella daily for about a month. I haven't had any issues with other soft soaps (RR Artisan or Savon du Midi for instance.)

I've produced better lather from a dozen other soaps, and I'm not comparing it just to MdC either.

12 1,243
 05-23-2012, 08:36 AM
User Info
(05-23-2012, 07:16 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:

(05-23-2012, 07:41 AM)brucered Wrote:

i have MdC and there is no comparison, MdC is better. i'm basing my opinion on TFS BN, but it's no where close to the quality and shaves i get from MdC.

i get mixed shaves from the TFS. my test lathers are fantastic, but my shaves have left something to be desired from lately when i use it.

i still use it periodically, but i'm not in any rush to get it into rotation.

YMMV

That is interesting Bruce. I've definitely heard of the quality of MdC, but have not tried it nor do I intend to anytime soon. YMMV is what makes it great that we have so many products that we can try and be able to find what works best for us. Granted I've only got about 10 test lathers and 2 shaves on the La Famiglia/TFS soaps but I've only had consistent results of creamy, dense, hydrated lather that is super slick. Perhaps there is something about the coconut oil that your skin doesn't like, though I know it's also in MdC. It could just be a concentration issue.

who knows what it is. i just find i'm not on the TFS (RR La Famiglia) hype train right now. i think the Group Buy on B&B is what started the TFS talk, and when IB offered it for $4 a tub, people are going overboard buying it and thinking it's going to replace MdC, CF and other top tier products.

again, YMMV and if you love it and it works great. for $4 a tub, if it's performing like $30-40 soaps, then you have yourself a jackpot and i'd be screaming from the rooftops about it as well, but it's not the case with me.

for me, TFS just doesn't cut it any more. i've smelled a few of the RR offerings (TFS soaps) and they didn't do it for me either.

it could be i've found so many other quality products and don't mind paying a few bucks for them. CF, GFT Coconut, MdC, King Louis, 888 to name a few, all outperform TFS in my den.

8 2,718
 05-23-2012, 08:43 AM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
I'm on shave three with this stuff, lather was okay but post shave was a little rough, I was just blaming it on me trying out that OC razor, guess I should go back to CF see what happeneds or switch back to a regular razor and see

3 748
 05-23-2012, 08:53 AM
User Info
(05-23-2012, 08:43 AM)syngent Wrote: I'm on shave three with this stuff, lather was okay but post shave was a little rough, I was just blaming it on me trying out that OC razor, guess I should go back to CF see what happeneds or switch back to a regular razor and see

i expect to see a few more reports like this, once people get over the sticker shock of it being a $30-35 soap last month, now being sold for $4 a tub (retail).

people snapping up 2 tubs of each scent, before even trying it, seems a bit silly if you ask me. Dodgy

8 2,718
 05-23-2012, 09:42 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I had a great shave with it, but post-shave was nothing special. Definitely not up to the standard of Mystic Water, Mike's Natural Soap or Spencer & Devon where after-care is considered.

I picked up a balm as well, which felt nice and left my face feeling moisturized and happy.

As a beard moisturizer and razor lubricant, it performed great, as well as anything else I have in my nook. Well worth the $7 ($4 was the "Grand Opening Sale" if you will).

As for replacing MdC and Castle Forbes? I don't own either, but I'd be surprised if that was the case. I'm just glad to have found another soap line I enjoy that supports a company I like.

10 1,858
 05-23-2012, 10:15 AM
User Info
Well that's the joy of being chemically different and completely unique. What is your garbage is my treasure and vice versa. Sure it may be hype right now and while I'm excited about it I'm also trying to be as objective as possible with my reviews and impressions of them. I do feel that some people may be a bit upset at the fact that what they paid $30+ for not too long ago is now selling for $7; and if they want to get rid of their TFS it won't command the price point that they paid for it. I agree that this is an unfortunate scenario, but it is what it is. I can only report my experience and I encourage others to share theirs, both positive and negative. I even had a friend PM me about a negative he had but didn't want to share. He doesn't like the small Cella container that they come in for brush loading. He'd much prefer the larger artisan bowls and I can't argue against that at all. The size of the container isn't a deal breaker for me, but I completely understand the sentiment. The whole purpose of a forum is to share your personal experiences and discuss them. I don't think anyone can expect a single product to work great for everyone. Take the beloved MdC. Such love for it in one thread and such disgust over it's scent in another. I'm still just a bit shocked that for someone that lathers Cella so well that they get a thin lather from these. If you spend a solid month learning to lather one soap, I don't think it's fair to compare that against another soap that hasn't had the same learning curve benefit. Just my 2 cents and I'm confident it's not even worth that.

Now to pass around the YMMV kool-aid to one and all. Drink up me hearties, yo ho!

31 7,914