08-30-2014, 07:56 AM
User Info
Greetings all. Newbie here. Hoping to get some help making a purchase decision. I want to get 2 new, stainless razors, one open comb and one standard.

For those who have used both, can you please compare performance & behavioral tendencies (not fit and finish) for the following:

iKon Standard Head DLC vs the ATT R1

and

iKon Open Comb DLC vs the ATT R2

I can get the iKon Bulldog handle and both baseplates for $180.
The ATT Kronos handle with both baseplates would be $258.

Honestly, I can afford to go with ATT, but I could also buy soap, blades, and aftershave with that extra $78.

Craftsmanship aside, is there really $78 worth of shaving performance difference between these brands?

0 9
 08-30-2014, 08:25 AM
User Info
I understand your concern.

Both are top notch manufacturer.

My recommendation is to buy ATT first , as it
Comes with 30 days no hassle return policy . Try both plates and see how it works
For you. If one works for you better and give you less iritation and close shave than keep it because is priceless :-)

I have ikon slant and ATT H1 and H2 plates and I like both razors. However , everyone experience would be different.

I hope that helps.

61 3,072
 08-30-2014, 08:31 AM
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook.

You will always get different opinions on which is better and is there really a difference when it comes down to the shave.
I have owned several ATT H1 razors and can attest this is an aggressive razor with fairly decent build quality.
made in USA

The iKon Standard DLC is one hell of a shaver. It seems aggressive yet smooth at the same time. Extremely high standards of manufacturing and build quality.

made in USA

121 13,127
 08-30-2014, 08:38 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Cricket gave you some good advice. I do not have an ikon, but I do have an ATT in M1, R1 and R2. On my shave travels the last 4years, I've tried many razors. The absolute best advice I got from the team here at The Nook was to try things for an extended period-pick a (insert here-blade, soap, razor) and use it for weeks before deciding on it. I was hopping around from (insert here-blade, soap, razor) and couldn't get consistency. This has elevated my experience. I love both open combs and safety bar razors, so that's why I have both ATT types.

My other razors that I work thru are a Mergress and a Merkur 37C slant. They're great tools. The ATT is my daily driver. My beloved Plisson OC is pretty lonely because the ATT does such a splendid job. I would recommend seeing if someone would loan you an iKon to try for a week or 2, then get the ATT. I sent my slant to a guy in NYC so he could decide, as well as a brush to one of the soap guys. We're all in it to win my friend!

Bullgoose has the ATT on sale too

19 742
 08-30-2014, 09:17 AM
User Info
(08-30-2014, 08:31 AM)slantman Wrote: The iKon Standard DLC is one hell of a shaver. It seems aggressive yet smooth at the same time. Extremely high standards of manufacturing and build quality.

made in USA

Are the iKon products made in the States? I was under the assumption that they were made in Thailand?

23 656
 08-30-2014, 09:35 AM
User Info
I have both ATT and Ikon products. My favorite from the two brands are the Ikon SB and ATT r2 open comb.

The SB in the Ikon is aggressive but smooth. In my hands the Ikon was smoother than the M1, R1 and H2 closed combs. All are great but if I had to pick one closed comb it would be the Ikon. As for the open comb the Ikon is rather mild. The ATT R2 has been great for me. You can't go wrong with either product. We are very fortunate to have all these great choices. Can't wait for the ATT slant

2 40
 08-30-2014, 09:55 AM
User Info
I have recently returned to wet shaving and the Ikon Standard DLC and Above The Tie R1 are my current 2 favorites. For me, the perfect blend of smooth and efficient.

IMO,

- The Ikon Standard DLC is slightly smoother ... the R1 (Atlas) is not far behind.

- I just love the feel of the ATT (it's smaller, seems more maneuverable).

- They both look great but different.

- The Ikon is easier to load the blade, as the ATT posts are a bit small (perhaps my only criticism).

I have tried either open comb ... yet.

I don't think you can go wrong with either decision.

192 1,588
 08-30-2014, 10:52 AM
User Info
(08-30-2014, 09:17 AM)Starkicker Wrote:
(08-30-2014, 08:31 AM)slantman Wrote: The iKon Standard DLC is one hell of a shaver. It seems aggressive yet smooth at the same time. Extremely high standards of manufacturing and build quality.

made in USA

Are the iKon products made in the States? I was under the assumption that they were made in Thailand?

Made in TexasSmile

121 13,127
 09-01-2014, 04:43 AM
User Info
(08-30-2014, 09:17 AM)Starkicker Wrote:

made in USA

I think the owner, Greg Kahn, lives in Thailand. And some of his products are now made in SE Asia or India. The Shavecraft line, for example.
I'm with Cricket, try out the ATT and send it back within 30 days if you don't like it.
My ATT H2 is the only modern razor that I really care about keeping around. It is truly an outstanding performer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 76
 09-01-2014, 04:55 AM
User Info
I love my iKon SB. Haven't tried ATT brand yet.

0 190
 09-03-2014, 05:29 AM
User Info
Thanks everyone for the input. I ordered a Kronos H2 plus an R2 plate. My plan for now is to make the R2 my daily driver and use the H2 when I have 3 or more days growth. After I've had some time to see how that routine works, I'll order additional base plates if there's a need. (I'm especially intrigued by the possibility of an ATT slant head being released in the near future, as I've been using a 39C for a couple years and absolutely love it. Anyone know if that's just a rumor or there's actually some truth to it?)

0 9
 09-03-2014, 06:26 AM
User Info
Straight from Stan, planned for Holiday Season release

18 194
 09-03-2014, 01:17 PM
User Info
You made the right decision. The Ikon DLC OC is nice too though. It's mild enough that you can have that million pass shave with absolutely zero irritation. I know it sounds nuts, but there are days when you feel like doing that. The gap and blade exposure is obviously the same as their Standard Bar but the blade comes off the edge a bit less making for a much milder shave. I love the ATT R2/H2, but as smooth as they are; it's not something I would use to do that. If you don't have days like that, you'll be fine with those 2 plates.

*Of course, you'll never need to make more than 3 passes with the ATT but you know what I mean. I don't know, maybe I'm weird that way. There are days where you don't want to feel a nanometer of stubble and you'll go the extra yard to get there.

0 45
 09-04-2014, 03:55 PM
  • iKon
  • Vendor/Mfg.
  • NYC
User Info
(09-01-2014, 04:43 AM)DrAwkward Wrote: I think the owner, Greg Kahn, lives in Thailand. And some of his products are now made in SE Asia or India.

Ahh, always enlightening to read some of these "comments", normally made on another forum that promotes fiction as fact.

Carry On Mr. Awkward.

7 244
 09-04-2014, 07:01 PM
User Info
(09-04-2014, 03:55 PM)iKon Wrote:
(09-01-2014, 04:43 AM)DrAwkward Wrote: I think the owner, Greg Kahn, lives in Thailand. And some of his products are now made in SE Asia or India.

Ahh, always enlightening to read some of these "comments", normally made on another forum that promotes fiction as fact.

Carry On Mr. Awkward.

My sincere apologies if I have inadvertently spread false information. Please take this opportunity to correct me and set the record straight. Where are the iKon Shavecraft razors manufactured?

0 76
 09-05-2014, 05:19 PM
User Info

Carry On Mr. Awkward.

I have heard bad things about your customer service on the "other place" you speak of. I ordered your 2nd Gen Slant, had a problem with the coating damaged in shipment and you replaced it immediately. Can't take everything you hear seriously.

1 108
 09-05-2014, 07:24 PM
User Info
(09-05-2014, 05:19 PM)jagardn Wrote:

Carry On Mr. Awkward.

I have heard bad things about your customer service on the "other place" you speak of. I ordered your 2nd Gen Slant, had a problem with the coating damaged in shipment and you replaced it immediately. Can't take everything you hear seriously.

Nothing I wrote should be construed as a criticism of iKon razors' quality, performance, or customer service. Nor do I speak for un-named people on an un-named forum.
That said, I really am curious to know where the Shavecraft line is manufactured.

0 76
 09-05-2014, 07:26 PM
User Info
I've read a few such things, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy an iKon. (The only reason I haven't bought the DLC slant yet is I've heard there's potentially a newer model coming.) The positives I've read about iKon outnumber the negatives 100 to 1.

0 9
 09-05-2014, 08:22 PM
User Info
Do the ATT razors leave the end tabs of the DE blades exposed? I was under the impression that this was the case. iKon specifically states that their designs do not.

Maybe my technique is poor, but I've gotten some nasty cuts from those darn exposed tabs on other razors.

0 44
 09-06-2014, 04:49 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
(09-04-2014, 03:55 PM)iKon Wrote: Ahh, always enlightening to read some of these "comments", normally made on another forum that promotes fiction as fact.

Carry On Mr. Awkward.

I'm a frequent poster on another forum. (and am trying to branch out - why limit yourself to one place, right?) I have heard some negative comments. I have made several orders of iKon products, and every experience has been a positive one; a fact that I never hesitate to share on any forum.

So, out of curiosity, I would love the opportunity to hear a little bit about the iKon operation from you directly. All I know for fact is that the products I've ordered have shipped from Texas. Every order I have placed has arrived more quickly that I expected (after all, I thought they were coming from Thailand...) and every package has contained more than what was expected, such as an extra box of blades.

These first-hand facts support the assertion that you run a good business. Of course, you don't owe anyone any explanation about anything, but I think a little bit of open dialogue on the forum might help to break down the shroud of mystery surrounding iKon Razors.

22 828