05-22-2012, 09:50 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Tony, I can only iterate what others here have stated. Your article is superb.

I should also like to thank you for stating up front that the slant is not a "face eater" and can be used by beginners and experienced wet shavers alike. I had been intrigued by the concept a few years ago so ordered a Merkur 37G slant even though many described them as too aggressive, face eaters, slice & dice, etc. It turned out that nothing could be further from the truth. I do not have a particularly heavy beard but can still get an incredibly close and comfortable shave from my slant. As with using any safety razor, if common sense prevails then one shouldn't get any more nicks, cuts, or weepers than with a Gillette Tech.

2 11,211
 05-22-2012, 09:56 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I would say that those who do not have a slant razor just hold the blade straight and twist your face...works the same...also helps if you use one of those special mirrors with built in distortion...and as Chubby Checker used to sing..."let,s do the TWIST ".....seriously a great article..very well presented.

6 1,937
 05-22-2012, 11:47 AM
User Info
(05-22-2012, 08:58 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Absolutely Johnny. This is exactly my experience as well. The only DE I enjoy is a slant, but I still get better shaves from a thicker & stiffer SE blade. I'd love to see a slanted SE. I guess that's another request for Tradere, though I'll just be happy if their new slant is an open comb!

I think it would be pretty difficult to twist a SE blade, but an injector blade would work. A slant injector I would buy. I think it would be an easier razor to design as well as innovative.

9 451
 05-22-2012, 11:49 AM
User Info
(05-22-2012, 09:50 AM)freddy Wrote: I should also like to thank you for stating up front that the slant is not a "face eater" and can be used by beginners and experienced wet shavers alike.

As with using any safety razor, if common sense prevails then one shouldn't get any more nicks, cuts, or weepers than with a Gillette Tech.

+1

9 1,199
 05-22-2012, 12:30 PM
User Info
Thanks for the great article. I joined up here to say so! Your analysis is the first I've read which make sense of the slant performance - that the blade rigidity is a significant factor. I never bought into the angled blade being the only reason that the slant performs well as this is easily done without a built in slant.

I mostly use the New and recently added a three-piece Hoffritz slant to my rotation. The slant is very comparable in performance and aggressivness to the New for me but is a bit more consistent.

0 12
 05-22-2012, 01:19 PM
User Info
Just chiming in to say that I really enjoyed this piece, Tony. Thank you [Image: _cheers__by_Stream_Sun.gif]

2 546
 05-22-2012, 03:16 PM
User Info
What an informative, nicely written, and useful article! Thank you for you taking the time to undertake the effort; I thoroughly enjoyed it.

3 68
 05-22-2012, 04:00 PM
User Info
Great article. As far as the actual razor, I agree with Squire on SMF that slants are "a solution to a problem that doesn't exist". I've only used the Merkur slant, and found that it shaved like other Merkur razors—poorly.

30 279
 05-22-2012, 05:59 PM
User Info
Several comments: The experience with the Merkur slant is in keeping with Tony's analysis. It results in a very close and comfortable shave when good technique is employed. It is no more aggressive than any other quality razor. I have the Hoffritz slant, the Merkur short handle HD and a 39C (long handle)on order. Along with the Gillette Tech they are the best shave of the bunch, for me. I think Tony is also correct that technique is everything or a lot of the slant experience as it is with any mild razor to get a really close shave. I also think it is significant that Tradere and Ikon are reading the thread.

51 310
 05-22-2012, 06:53 PM
User Info
(05-22-2012, 04:00 PM)Aaron622 Wrote: Great article. As far as the actual razor, I agree with Squire on SMF that slants are "a solution to a problem that doesn't exist". I've only used the Merkur slant, and found that it shaved like other Merkur razors—poorly.

I can't disagree more. I regularly get the poor shaves with a non-slant DE. I couldn't find the wonderful shaving experience that I kept reading about until I found SE razors & blades. It was like night & day. After learning about the rigidity of blades & how it affects the shave I decided to give a slant a try. I finally had a wonderful DE shave. Still to this day if I pick up a non-slant DE I receive a poor shave with irritation.

While it may be a "solution to a problem that doesn't exist" for you it certainly can be the difference between returning to carts or electrics or actually enjoying a smooth shave experience & result. The slant is a solution for me & potentially many others who need a blade with some rigidity; whether that rigidity is inherent from manufacture or manipulated by the razor.

31 7,937
 05-22-2012, 08:04 PM
User Info
(05-22-2012, 04:00 PM)Aaron622 Wrote: Great article. As far as the actual razor, I agree with Squire on SMF that slants are "a solution to a problem that doesn't exist". I've only used the Merkur slant, and found that it shaved like other Merkur razors—poorly.

I believe you missed some key points in the article if you think the design is simply a gimmick. Tony explained from the beginning of the article why the razor was designed and provided images and other similar designs to help illustrate the purpose.

Would you also argue that the invention of the adjustable razor was another solution for a problem that didn't exist?

9 451
 05-22-2012, 08:16 PM
User Info
Great article !!!!

0 61
 05-23-2012, 08:06 AM
User Info

I had to search what Squire (at SMF) said, as just a phrase without context may be easily be misunderstood, and I had a hard time understanding where you were comming from (you seem to be refering to this 2009 post)

Quote:Hey Shawn, welcome aboard. The slant is an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem. With good technique you can get an excellent shave with most any DE, SE, disposable or open razor. I can whack off whiskers quickly with any of these but to get a really good shave it will take up to 15 minutes. If time is a concern perhaps one of the disposable razors might work best for you.

The Slant is just one of those irresistible things that simply appeals. It doesn't do the job better than the other razors otherwise it would have supplanted them years ago, it just seems like it could. It does work well, as a number of Forum members have attested, for some it is the choice, but it is not a short cut to the best shave.

A great shave is like a well prepared meal, time, patience and attention to detail.

Sincerely, I think the isolated phrase: "solution to a problem that doesn't exist" does not do justice to the original poster intentions.
Basically,he is responding to a newby asking if the slant will provide a closer shave and indicates that he should not forget technique.

I see that post directed more towards the erroneous idea that gets around that the slant is the best razor available to get a close and irritation free shave, and not a criticism of the slant itself.

Have problems with irritation and close shaves? Get a slant!

That's a common recomendation, especially if tough beards are mentioned. Squire's recomendation is spot on ... work on technique.

In this same sense, if the slant solves the problem that does not exist (that problem being poor technique) then the slant should be a great razor. Imagine then what this razor can do with good technique !

As I said in the article, the slant does not shave closer than other razors, nor it is the ultimate - best razor, and as Squire points out ... with good technique you can certainly get an excellent shave with most any razor (even if it is - irony mode on - a Merkur)

0 68
 05-23-2012, 01:24 PM
User Info
Thank you for an excellent and informative article Tony!
Perfect timing for me as the Merkur slant I just acquired is on deck for my next shave. Wink

Mark

6 135
 05-23-2012, 03:55 PM
User Info
(05-22-2012, 08:04 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: Would you also argue that the invention of the adjustable razor was another solution for a problem that didn't exist?

Yes.

(05-23-2012, 08:06 AM)Tony SC Wrote: I had to search what Squire (at SMF) said, as just a phrase without context may be easily be misunderstood, and I had a hard time understanding where you were comming from (you seem to be refering to this 2009 post)

Quote:Hey Shawn, welcome aboard. The slant is an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem. With good technique you can get an excellent shave with most any DE, SE, disposable or open razor. I can whack off whiskers quickly with any of these but to get a really good shave it will take up to 15 minutes. If time is a concern perhaps one of the disposable razors might work best for you.

The Slant is just one of those irresistible things that simply appeals. It doesn't do the job better than the other razors otherwise it would have supplanted them years ago, it just seems like it could. It does work well, as a number of Forum members have attested, for some it is the choice, but it is not a short cut to the best shave.

A great shave is like a well prepared meal, time, patience and attention to detail.

Sincerely, I think the isolated phrase: "solution to a problem that doesn't exist" does not do justice to the original poster intentions.
Basically,he is responding to a newby asking if the slant will provide a closer shave and indicates that he should not forget technique.

I see that post directed more towards the erroneous idea that gets around that the slant is the best razor available to get a close and irritation free shave, and not a criticism of the slant itself.

Have problems with irritation and close shaves? Get a slant!

That's a common recomendation, especially if tough beards are mentioned. Squire's recomendation is spot on ... work on technique.

In this same sense, if the slant solves the problem that does not exist (that problem being poor technique) then the slant should be a great razor. Imagine then what this razor can do with good technique !

As I said in the article, the slant does not shave closer than other razors, nor it is the ultimate - best razor, and as Squire points out ... with good technique you can certainly get an excellent shave with most any razor (even if it is - irony mode on - a Merkur)

Sorry, I apologize if I have misrepresented anything Squire has said. I meant it more as a paraphrase than an exact quote because I seem to recall him saying as much on more than one occasion, but I did not actually search for a post. I recall reading it and agreeing completely. I did some searching and I believe the direct quote is "The slant is an ingenious solution to a nonexistent problem" (see here). He also says "I stand by my earlier comment that the slant is an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem, however it seems to work well for some shavers" (see here). Again, I chose the quote simply because it summed up my opinion well, but please consider this just my opinion.

(05-22-2012, 08:04 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: I believe you missed some key points in the article if you think the design is simply a gimmick. Tony explained from the beginning of the article why the razor was designed and provided images and other similar designs to help illustrate the purpose.

Your words, not mine. I didn't call it a gimmick, I just feel that it is not necessary and doesn't result in a better shave than "normal" razors. Obviously this is my opinion. And the article is excellently researched. I'm just commenting on the actual razor.

30 279
 05-23-2012, 05:24 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I believe that different razors can offer different shaves and the slant may certainly offer a better shave to some people than to others. The shave I get from a Merkur Slant is considerably closer than the one I get from a Gillette Tech, though both will shave me. I, therefore, believe that the slant style of razor is more than a solution to a non-existent problem.

2 11,211
 05-23-2012, 06:02 PM
User Info
Maybe I'm taking more offense to this than I should. It just bothers me when some claim that there isn't a problem just because the problem doesn't exist in their world. I treat patients daily who were told that there was nothing wrong with them (a non-existent problem) by a more traditional approach just because the traditional approach either didn't look for or doesn't believe in the possibility of something outside their realm as being the causative factor. Yet when I examine the patient from a completely different viewpoint I may find a lot of issues which could be the cause of this person's otherwise non-existent problem. It's not in your head, there really is a problem that can be addressed if we would just stop being so myopic about it. So I suggest you expand your universe and appreciate that while a slant doesn't offer you anything special it fortunately doesn't mean that it's useless to others who have a different circumstance than you.

Will someone help me off this soapbox? I tend to get stuck on these things. Tongue

31 7,937
 05-24-2012, 02:05 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
OUTSTANDING,Tony SC,once again,BRILLIANT!

86 7,132
 05-24-2012, 04:43 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(05-23-2012, 06:02 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: *snip*

Will someone help me off this soapbox? I tend to get stuck on these things. Tongue

Helping *Sharpie* off the soapbox whilst Dave picks us up... heading to THE *Boutique* (sp?)

hehehe Biggrin

9 1,684
 05-24-2012, 05:54 PM
User Info
(05-24-2012, 04:43 PM)gijames Wrote:
(05-23-2012, 06:02 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: *snip*

Helping *Sharpie* off the soapbox whilst Dave picks us up... heading to THE *Boutique* (sp?)

hehehe Biggrin

Thanks, but, uh, one question. Do you think the soapbox can fit in the Metro. I have a feeling I'll be needing it at some point during this trip! Laughing1

31 7,937