09-28-2016, 04:17 AM
  • tof
User Info
Okay, you've got my attention and my wallet open (again)!

I'm a DE shaver already so what Slant should I try first without breaking the bank or turning me off?

1 49
 09-28-2016, 04:38 AM
User Info
(09-28-2016, 04:17 AM)tof Wrote: I'm a DE shaver already so what Slant should I try first without breaking the bank or turning me off?

A Merkur 37C or 39C (In UK £29 or £36)

Both have the same head but the 39C has a longer handle.

The Merkur Slant is the model by which others are judged.

0 42
 09-29-2016, 01:06 PM
User Info
Thank you for making things clear.
It's been sometime since this article was posted and a few more slants are on the market.
I'd love to hear about the Ikon X3 slant if you can spare the time.
 It's currently my favorite along with the fat boy.

0 175
 10-03-2016, 03:31 PM
  • tof
User Info
Received a 39C on Sunday. Had to try it!

The first day was a slow, cautious run but it did seem to have a little less drag with less irritation. 

Day two and I picked up the pace a little. No runs no cuts or gashes. This pass was a little closer but maybe that was due to adjusting my hold.  Looking like a keeper so far and I'm sure that I will learn it over the next few weeks. 

Does a slant require a change in blade brand or type?

1 49
 10-03-2016, 08:23 PM
User Info
(10-03-2016, 03:31 PM)tof Wrote: Does a slant require a change in blade brand or type?

If you have other blades in stock that work for you with other razors, I would try them; and it may be worth buying some different blades in to try after reading what others have said about them.

The slant geometry may change you blade preference.

Have you a tough beard? Is that why you wanted to try the Slant?

I abandoned cartridge razors some 15 years ago as my hair started to turn white and therefore get more wiry. I started with the  the standard Merkur head with a HD, but soon graduated to a Slant, and adopted the sharpest blade i could find - the Feather.

Now I still use the Feather but have moved up the the most aggressive head in volume production - the Muehle R41, which, like the Merkur Slant, is semi-open comb, but has no slant and uses more blade exposure to achieve its efficiency.

If you have a tough beard, when you have mastered the Slant, you could try the R41. It's a three piece, so if you have a suitable handle you only need buy the R41 head (in UK £15)

0 42
 10-03-2016, 09:18 PM
User Info
(10-03-2016, 08:23 PM)Labarum Wrote:
(10-03-2016, 03:31 PM)tof Wrote: I do use the slant with a feather and I have yet to try it with a polsilver. The R41 I also have, (one of my first acquisitions) is still cutting me and feels rough on the face, better with a feather.
Does a slant require a change in blade brand or type?

If you have other blades in stock that work for you with other razors, I would try them; and it may be worth buying some different blades in to try after reading what others have said about them.

The slant geometry may change you blade preference.

Have you a tough beard? Is that why you wanted to try the Slant?

I abandoned cartridge razors some 15 years ago as my hair started to turn white and therefore get more wiry. I started with the  the standard Merkur head with a HD, but soon graduated to a Slant, and adopted the sharpest blade i could find - the Feather.

Now I still use the Feather but have moved up the the most aggressive head in volume production - the Muehle R41, which, like the Merkur Slant, is semi-open comb, but has no slant and uses more blade exposure to achieve its efficiency.

If you have a tough beard, when you have mastered the Slant, you could try the R41. It's a three piece, so if you have a suitable handle you only need buy the R41 head (in UK £15)

0 175
 10-13-2016, 06:01 PM
  • tof
User Info
Definitely no tuff beard (all grey though) but for some reason, I find the slant gives me less irritation. It's wierd.  

For me, I don't care for the 34c which is supposedly mild and the R 6s I have yet to find a setting that doesn't irritate the heck out of me. Beautiful razor but don't know if it is for me.

1 49
 10-22-2016, 09:10 AM
  • Jorvaljr
  • Temple city, California
User Info
I have a Hoffritz Slant and I can't get a good shave from it. I tried different blades and different angles. It's a rough shave for me. I'm a little sad by it as it was a razor I really wanted but for me it's a no good. It's going in the sale bin !

1 107
 01-18-2017, 06:59 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
The thing is for me, no matter what razor I've tried I always need three passes. At least, and I always end up with a BBS now. With the couple of slants I've tried there's notably less beard after the first pass than with my usual razors, after the second pass it's less notable and it still requires another pass to get the results I want and after that one there's no difference so I didn't add them to my quiver.

7 2,114